Thread: Changing routine from beginner to intermediate

Changing routine from beginner to intermediate

I been training with weights now for a few months, the routine i follow now is one from an old book which aims to work out each major muscle group at each workout, and to work out 3 times a week. I have done well using this routine but recently progress seems to had slowed, this is probably more than partly due to me getting bored with the routine so i'm looking to change to something fresh and more effective.
    I've looked at teh WBB routines but once a week seems too little for me and i dont have the equipment necessary to follow them anyhow.
    My plan now is to change to four shorter workouts a week split between legs+back and chest+arms (two of each each week)

currently the workout i do is-
    Squats,
    Single leg calf raises,
    Bench Press,
    Dumbell Flyes,
    Bent over Rows,
    Military Press,
    Upright Rows,
    Triceps extensions,
    Dumbell Curls,
    Lateral Raise,
    Wrist Curl,
    Weighted neck flex and extensions,
    Crunches.
    in that order.

So i'm looking to split that over 2 days and maybe do more sets or add in some more individual exercises, and maybe drop the neck exercises as nobody here seems to have them in their routine.
    The problems i have is that the only equipment i have is a barbell and dumbells, and i dont have a lot of weights (i am looking to buy more but no safety equipment still rules out doing really heavy squats etc.)

Any advice on this or where to look for better routines?
    also would changing from 3 to 2 workouts a week per muscle be bad for progress? or might it even be better?
    Cheers,

Banned
    your routine is pure and utter crap

consult the WBB routines, or read peoples journals for info

utter? wtf

yea, read up dude
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Quote Originally Posted by mihorne
    Geez, and people say I'm harsh...

Fat2Fit,
    I think you have most of the best exercises included in the routine you were doing and that's good. You didn't tell reps/sets but because there are so many exercises I'm just going to have to assume that you don't do much w. each one.

Splitting things up would be a good idea, even if you decide to stick w. 3x/week. You'll be able to spend more time w. the big exercises and hit them hard.

There's nothing wrong w. neck work. Don't get rid of it just because you don't see anyone else doing it. If you are a football player, wrestler, martial artist, etc. it would be stupid to eliminate them from your training.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-25-2005 at 03:18 PM.

it doesn't look that bad.. it looks like a HST routine with too much volume and poorly ordered. other than that, most people here like chest/back/leg/shoulder, chest&shoulder/back/leg, or upper/lower splits

WBB#1 and 2 are good routines too

After a few months, you are still a beginner.

Keep it simple.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by mihorne

thanks, thats incredibly useful advice

Its not my routine, its from a book (which admittedly is about 20 years old). It basically involves doing one set of each exercise and using enough weight so you can only do 8-10 reps.
    As i explained in my post (did you read it?) i looked at the WBB routines but i dont wanna do only once a week and dont have the equipment to do those routines anyway.
    Thanks to everyone who put up useful replies,

WBB routines only once a week?? what equipment don't you have to do which exercises?

and i agree with sensei, keep the neck work... i do them too.

Why do you not want to work each muscle group once a week? You have only been lifting a few months, so IMO your still a beginner. As a beginner, you need to really put your focus on compound movements. If you don't like WBB, then think about using it as a guidline and tailer it to your needs.

-Tim

What about doing the leg+back exercises based on WBB routine on one day and the chest+arms on the next day, then a day off and repeat?

the equipment i dont have is a proper bench, a bar for chin ups, or a machine for leg curls or cable exercsises. If i could substitute those for some exersizes i could do with just a BB or DBs then would that be acceptable?

You can subsitute exercises that you can do for those you can't without a problem. It's amazing what you can acomplish with a few weights and lots of creativity. On the other hand, try and pick up a bench if you can. Also, a doorway pull up bar is cheap and gives you lots more options.

-Tim

well i'll have to see what exercises i can substitute for them. a proper bench is out as i just dont have the room, and a i dunno if my doorway would take my weight :/