The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20

    Finger pain with heavy weights... Gloves bad?

    I've read a lot of people advising not to use gloves for various reasons, but most seem to be macho BS. Is there an actual benefit to not using gloves when lifting? It seems I can move slightly more weight a lot more comfortably, and I don't see how gloves would diminish the building of muscles or strength per se.

    I've been lifting heavier and heavier weights over the past few months and the pain in my fingers has approached discomfort especially during deadlifts. Today after deadlifts my fingers in my left hand were numb and the skin was peeled off a little in the fleshy spots (I use a bar that's got texture in the middle rather than a smooth bar). It's been a few hours and my middle finger is still pretty sore, I'm slightly concerned one of these days of nerve damage or something ridiculous - not to be a hypochondriac.

    Sooo please advise - are gloves bad for any real physiological reason?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Here's the deal w. gloves and it's not macho BS: Gloves increase the circumference you have to hold onto. Also, the bar and material of the glove will shift as you try to hold onto it.

    Seriously, get chalk.

  4. #3
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    But Sensei, his hands will get all white and dirty!

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  5. #4
    Senior Member DNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,808
    so in some way, it would also depend on the size of your hands?. I use gloves when i DL. May be my poundage isn't high enough to experience a significant difference. My grip is still very tight, but this could be because my gloves are worn out.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,175
    yeh, gloves make the bar harder to grip and they make it so if you try to move anything in real life without gloves your in for a very painful awakening. when you say finger pain do you mean its down in the joint?

  7. #6
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,159
    Gloves suck.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  8. #7
    Senior Member dissipate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,437
    if it's a problem with your grip not being strong enough, how about working on strengthening it?

  9. #8
    Senior Member b_sinning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    37
    I have big calluses from lifting especially around my wedding ring. I'm not sure I can even get it off now. I bet my wife loves that. I may start wearing gloves for my heaviest lifts just to minimize them some.

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19
    When I don't wear gloves my hands get rough and calloused. When I wear gloves, my hands stay soft and normal. My girlfriend likes my hands soft and normal. The decision for me is easy

  11. #10
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by b_sinning
    I have big calluses from lifting especially around my wedding ring. I'm not sure I can even get it off now. I bet my wife loves that. I may start wearing gloves for my heaviest lifts just to minimize them some.
    Sorry bud, but gloves cause way more calluses than they prevent.

    What you're experiencing is lack of proper hand care. I deadlift a reasonable amount and do a lot of grip work AND rock climb and I have virtually no significantly callouses. I use chalk or chalk substitute for gripping and nothing else, really. The few times I used straps, they created significant calluses, and when I wore gloves for activities like biking, they also caused calluses. Why? Because the material adds an extra layer of slippage and will bunch up, particularly around the callus prone areas.

    What can you do? Lift without gloves or straps. Use chalk to keep things dry. Keep hands moisturized at all times outside of the gym. Clip or file calluses after a shower or long soak.

    As for the solution to the wedding ring, well, I won't go there.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  12. #11
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcjoker
    When I don't wear gloves my hands get rough and calloused. When I wear gloves, my hands stay soft and normal. My girlfriend likes my hands soft and normal. The decision for me is easy
    I hear you. It's a pain to keep replacing girlfriends though. I recommend proper hand care.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  13. #12
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,159
    Chicks dig my callouses.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  14. #13
    Senior Member CiteCollegiale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    100
    leather hands here dont need gloves =)

  15. #14
    En botella whey! Max-Mex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dorchester, MA
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Sorry bud, but gloves cause way more calluses than they prevent.

    What you're experiencing is lack of proper hand care. I deadlift a reasonable amount and do a lot of grip work AND rock climb and I have virtually no significantly callouses. I use chalk or chalk substitute for gripping and nothing else, really. The few times I used straps, they created significant calluses, and when I wore gloves for activities like biking, they also caused calluses. Why? Because the material adds an extra layer of slippage and will bunch up, particularly around the callus prone areas.

    What can you do? Lift without gloves or straps. Use chalk to keep things dry. Keep hands moisturized at all times outside of the gym. Clip or file calluses after a shower or long soak.

    As for the solution to the wedding ring, well, I won't go there.


    I've lost count as to how many times you've post this same info Mix. With that being said, it is great advice. Cutting down the callouses and using lots of hand lotion will help a TREMENDOUS amount.

    As far as finger pain goes, be sure it's not joint/tendon pain as continued lifting won't let it heal or make it worse.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal


    PB's&Goals

    Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

  16. #15
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    As far as finger pain goes, be sure it's not joint/tendon pain as continued lifting won't let it heal or make it worse.
    Good point. Calluses are a common cause of pressure point pain, but be sure it's not what Max mentions. If it's merely texture related pain, be happy and watch you hands adapt over time.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  17. #16
    Baby Seal Clubber ElPietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    12,778
    Gloves decrease grip strength. Gloves with heavy weight can increase finger pain. Gloves have seams, and also, when you have a ton of weight crushing the edging of the glove for each finger into your finger, that will hurt a hell of a lot more than anything caused by not wearing gloves.

    You can take care of your hands and keep them soft, and rough parts can be filed off if need be.

    So unless you are a handmodel, there isn't actually any reason to wear gloves, and a few good reasons why you shouldn't.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

    Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

    ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

    A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

    If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

    Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

    Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

    Current FFFA Enforcer

  18. #17
    Senior Member b_sinning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    I've lost count as to how many times you've post this same info Mix. With that being said, it is great advice. Cutting down the callouses and using lots of hand lotion will help a TREMENDOUS amount.

    As far as finger pain goes, be sure it's not joint/tendon pain as continued lifting won't let it heal or make it worse.

    So that's why you have hand lotion all around you house. Sure....

  19. #18
    Senior Member DNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I hear you. It's a pain to keep replacing girlfriends though. I recommend proper hand care.
    hahahahah

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    0
    I use gloves for everything except deads and maybe shrugs. I can't see a real disadvantage of using gloves outside of exercises where you have to hold on to an extremely heavy weight

  21. #20
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,776
    Why use them at all?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  22. #21
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    yeh, gloves make the bar harder to grip and they make it so if you try to move anything in real life without gloves your in for a very painful awakening. when you say finger pain do you mean its down in the joint?
    Well it's hard to say, my left hands middle and ring fingers are still sore a little even now about 22 hours after DL's. It's sore mainly in, if you look at your hand, the last segment closest to the palm. Feels like they are bruised but look normal

    Just to clarify for some people in this thread, I don't care about callouses or shredding the skin so much as I worry I might touch off a nerve or do some serious damage to the joints or something.. my hands feel like pulp after DLs and it's hard to even open them sometimes. It could be similar to how most people get sore wrists until they build up, but I don't really ever see much about 'finger problems'

    This might seem whiney but it's not like I'm saying I want to stop, I just wanted to know if there was a reason not to try gloves and, based on the responses I think I'll try them myself anyway just b/c it seems like a preference thing.

  23. #22
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Allah
    This might seem whiney but it's not like I'm saying I want to stop, I just wanted to know if there was a reason not to try gloves and, based on the responses I think I'll try them myself anyway just b/c it seems like a preference thing.
    So much for logic... I tried.

  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Why use them at all?
    Why not? For me, it helps me focus on the weight I'm lifting, instead of focusing on my hands. I used to pinch the skin on my hands occasionally with some exercises. I guess I'm just used to them and there's no real reason not to use them apart from deads and shrugs so I don't see why not

  25. #24
    En botella whey! Max-Mex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dorchester, MA
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Allah
    Well it's hard to say, my left hands middle and ring fingers are still sore a little even now about 22 hours after DL's. It's sore mainly in, if you look at your hand, the last segment closest to the palm. Feels like they are bruised but look normal
    Tendon injury. I got the same thing from rock climbing. Mostly on the ring finger but some on the middle finger, both in the exact same spot. I had to stop DL'ing and rock climbing for a while to let it heal. I couldn't even do any back lifts. I was able to do pressing lifts but even then, the pressure of the bars/db's caused some pain.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal


    PB's&Goals

    Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

  26. #25
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Tendon injury. I got the same thing from rock climbing. Mostly on the ring finger but some on the middle finger, both in the exact same spot. I had to stop DL'ing and rock climbing for a while to let it heal. I couldn't even do any back lifts. I was able to do pressing lifts but even then, the pressure of the bars/db's caused some pain.
    Out of curiosity, how long did you give it to heal?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •