Thread: When Squatting....

When squatting I know it is best to push off with your heels instead of your toes. But when doing challenging weight I find it hard to do this since I'm giving it everything I got. Also would you guys agree that it is harder for your knees to go over your toes during the bottom part of the squat if you have a wide stance with both feet pointing out quite a bit? Thanks

Alot of that depends on the length of your legs in relation to your torso. For me, yes, it's harder to push knees over toes in a wide-stance. Wide is natural for me, and it lets me use more weight. I also have a monster-sized ass that dominates my lower body. I look like Queen Latifah with big arms. (Not really, more like Gilbert Gottfried with a big ass). You should be pushing with your heels. It's not okay to not push with your heels unless you're doing narrow stance, high-bar squats and intentionally trying to bust your quads. Get your form better. Learn a bit from Westside techs (that doesn't mean to go get a box and chains and bump your weights by 200 pounds in the next week), just learn from their styles. They have good squat technique.

Wannabebig Member
    Darcy:

The weight is either too heavy or you have a weak core. You may need to address both areas. An excellent reference for squatting can be purchased throught the National Strength and Conditioning Association. Look for the NSCA position statement on squatting. It is an excellent reference for anyone serious about squatting. Cost is minimal!

MR A,when you say weak core,what do you mean?
    The reason I am asking is because I know what I'm refferring to when I say it but when someone else referrs to the core I could be mistaken that they are refferring to something totally different to what I understand as the core.

BTW Did it come in the mail yet?(F.I.S.T.)
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Mac:

When I say "core" I'm referring to the area from the lower rib cage to the mid-thigh. I'm not referring to bb movements either. I'm talking about a strong core developed through functional exercises, medicine ball training, stability ball work, bodyblade etc. If his "core" was stronger he would power it straight up. Unless of course the weight is too heavy.

Yes, I did receive the package...thank you. I also found someone to copy the tapes I was telling you about. It will probably be about 2 weeks. I'll get your address then...talk to you soon!

Wannabebig Member
    Mr. A was right about strengthing your core, I do quite a bit of ball work. When I was coached I was told to find my pocket meaning going deep enough to tax the quads (I'm not saying a** to ankles) when you hit your pocket you'll know it. When I thought I was strong on squats I was told I wasn't going low enough (not even close to paralell) so I was trained to use lighter weight on a Smith to find my pocket, then as I got used to hitting it my lifts went considerably up and I tax my quads everytime. Sorry if I got off track a bit. Take care all and see everyone at the Arnold!!!
    STAY HEALTHY AND GO HEAVY!!!

I gotcha,more to come your way
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo