The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

MonStar1023 NHE Journal

As many of you here @WBB have read in the Diet Board I am currently reading the book "Natural Hormonal Enhancement," by Rob Faigin. I have decided to keep a journal now that I am starting his prescribed way of eating.. Ill post my results and what I personally think of the diet and how its going on a day-to-day basis. Click here for the link to see the diet itself.

Wish me luck!! I am trying to lose some SERIOUS fat by this Spring when it starts to warm up. Now I am so flabby I practically have a gut and the past month or so my diet has been a joke..

Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-19-2002 at 10:41 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sunday, 12-16-2001

Cardio.
    None.

Diet.
    M1- 4 hard boiled eggs
    M2- 1 can tuna + 1 tbsp. mayo
    M3- (postworkout) 2 scoops whey protein + 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp. flax seed oil
    M4- ground beef + cheese

Overall Comments.
    Feel VERY fat today. Omg I feel like such a blob its actually really depressing when I think about it. Feel like I have a pot belly.. I dont even feel like I have any muscles today I honestly just feel like a fat person. I took around 3 weeks off from the gym and 3 week off from dieting and just ate like crap. I have never taken this long off from my normal bodybuilding lifestyle before and I am hoping that Ill get right back into the swing of things. Feel a little shaky from the Xenadrine since I have not had any ephedrine in around 3 weeks now. My appetite is really practically nothing at all I dont even feel like eating. Almost forgetting to eat every 2 hours or so. Preworkout I weighed 236 lbs., HOLY SH*T. I have never ever ever ever weighed this much before. I have never felt so f*cking fat in my entire life.

Pain/Soreness.
    Right outer pec/serratus is a little sore. I am not sure how thats possible but hopefully it wont effect my workout. Well see what happens.

Sleep.
    8 hours sleep last night. Really slept well.. definitely felt rested today.

Supplements.
    Good multi-vitamin 2x today; 1g vitamin C 3x today; 2 Xenadrine 3x today, 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides postworkout. 1 GNC Calcium Complete 3x today. GNC's Sleep Formula before bed.

Training. Chest, Delts, Triceps.
    Flat Dumbbell Presses 100x9; 100x8; 100x7
    Flat Dumbbell Flyes 65x8; 65x7; 65x6
    Decline Cable Flyes 40x10; 40x10
    Seated Dumbbell Overhead Presses 60x7; 60x7; 60x6
    Incline Dumbbell Side-laterals 20x8; 20x8
    One-arm Cable Side-laterals 20x12
    Decline EZ-bar Ext. 90x8; 90x7
    One-dumbbell Overhead Ext. 25x9
    One-dumbbell Kickbacks 20x10

Training Comments.
    Workout today went really well. Presses and flyes for pecs really pumped up my pecs completely.. but they also really completely exausted my chest. By the time that I got to decline cables my chest was so burnt that I could barely get a contraction. Thats how exausted and burnt out my pecs were. Overhead presses hit delts hard. Incline laterals were a great exercise for my side-delts. Really isolated them perfectly. Cable side-laterals TOTALLY burnt out my pecs completely. Great contraction with those. Decline ext. for triceps were great. Totally hit tris with a lot of weight and good form. Great exercise for my triceps. Might be able to increase the weight on those a little. Overhead ext. really stretched out my triceps.. and kickbacks were an EXCELLENT contraction and burn out for my triceps.

Training Length.
    Workout today lasted 40 minutes. Brief and very intense.

Water.
    Took in a pretty good amount all day long today.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 12-29-2001 at 04:06 PM.

Monday, 12-17-2001

Cardio.
    (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, alternating 1 minute level 8 going a fast-pace then 1 minutes level 5 going a slower-pace.

Diet.
    M1- 3 hard-boiled eggs + cheese
    M2- tuna salad
    M3- grilled chicken breast + mayo
    M4- 1 scoop whey protein + 4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Overall Comments.
    Felt fat today. Definitely felt like a blimp. Completely flabby and soft and muscles were not pumped at all because my carbs are so damn low. This entire week my carbs will be ~under 20g per day. So I guess I can practically forget about pumps in the gym for this week.. thats always nice.

Pain/Soreness.
    Chest is EXTREMELY sore. Wow have not been this sore in a LONG time. Entire pecs are sore upper, lower, inner, outer, just totally sore. Serratus muscles are also sore. Triceps are definitely sore and so are my biceps for some reason. My lats and rhomboids are also really aching. I honestly dont understand how any of these muscles could be so sore but they are. Front delts are extremely sore also.. DAMN! Aching all over.

Sleep.
    7 hours sleep last night. Really slept well.. definitely felt rested today. Need to try and get a solid 8 hours though every night.

Supplements.
    Good multi-vitamin 2x today; 1g vitamin C 3x today; 2 Xenadrine 3x today. 1 GNC Calcium Complete 3x today. GNC's Sleep Formula before bed.

Training. Rest.

Training Comments.
    N/A.

Training Length.
    N/A.

Water.
    Took in a good amount of water all day long today. Maybe need a little bit more due to the lack of carbs.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-12-2002 at 02:46 PM.

Re: Sunday, 12-16-2001

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    [B]
    Diet.
    M1- 4 hard boiled eggs
    M2- 1 can tuna + 1 tbsp. mayo
    M3- (postworkout) 2 scoops whey protein + 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp. flax seed oil
    M4- ground beef + cheese
    this is all you ate today? thats like 1000-1100 calories..
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Whatsup bro? Yeah I know I need to increase my calories. Rob repeatedly talks about how terrible it is to count calories and how the macronutrient breakdown is what's really important. So I am trying not to worry about calories and worry more about what exactly I am eating and just making sure I am getting some food every 2-3 hours.

Re: Monday, 12-17-2001

Entire pecs are sore upper, lower, inner, outer, just totally sore.

diet! Eat more!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Orange357-
    Yo whatsup man? Yeah I know what youre saying about eating more also I think it has to do with my lack of carbs... that definitely always makes me really sore.

Faigin specifically recommends not eating carbs postworkoutb because it lowers your testosterone and growth hormone levels and spikes your insulin levels which promotes fat storage and not anabolism.. well see what happens.

may i ask what is the function of you post workout now(I understand the whey) are you taking in fats?? Enlighten me
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Faigin specifically recommends not eating carbs postworkoutb because it lowers your testosterone and growth hormone levels and spikes your insulin levels which promotes fat storage and not anabolism
    Growth hormone will drop off anyway-- I don't see how it would affect testosterone-- the insulin won't necessarily "spike," even if it did, in a glycogen-depleted state such as exists after lifting, it won't go to fat stores. Post-lifting is the one time an insulin boost is desired.

I'd like to know the sources he cites for that.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yeah I will read up and try and post some sources. Very different than anything I have ever read on training.. Ill post my results and what I think on a day-to-day basis so well see just how good his program really is I guess..

"In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Tuesday, 12-18-2001

Cardio.
    None.

Diet.
    M1- ground beef + cheese
    M2- chicken salad
    M3- 2 Protein Diet bars
    M4- (postworkout) 2 scoops whey protein + 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp. flax seed oil
    M5- ground beef + cheese

Overall Comments.
    Today preworkout I weighed a fat 228 lbs. Really felt like a fat blob today. I am not sure what happened or why I just felt really bloated and flabby all day long. I want to eventually get my weight down to around 195-205 lbs. Well see what happens I guess. Definitely didnt feel good today though. I guess the lack of carbs in my diet is really starting to hit me. I thought the Xenadrine would help me pull through the lack of energy from the low carbs but its not helping too much. Felt pretty tired today too and had trouble focusing a lot.

Pain/Soreness.
    Chest was EXTREMELY sore today. Couldnt even flex it. Serratus was also very sore along with my lats and rhomboids, all still sore. Triceps are aching and so are my front and side delts. Hopefully my back will be good by the day after tomorrow.

Sleep.
    7.5 hours sleep last night. Slept pretty well.. definitely felt rested today. Need to try and get a solid 8 hours though every night!

Supplements.
    Good multi-vitamin 2x today; 1g vitamin C 3x today; 2 Xenadrine 3x today, 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides postworkout. 1 GNC Calcium Complete 3x today. GNC's Sleep Formula before bed.

Training. Quads, Hamstrings, Calves.
    Seated Calf Raises 250x25; 250x25
    Standing Calf Raises 250x12; 250x12
    Leg Presses 650x8; 650x7
    Sissy Squats 250x8; 250x7
    One-leg Ext. 200x8
    Dumbbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts 70x8; 70x7
    One-leg Curls 150x7

Training Comments.
    Workout today was not all that great. I guess due to the lack of carbs my intensity suffered, and so did my focus. Really had some problems I am not sure what happened. Started my workout with calves because I feel like I need to focus on them more. Seated calf raises really burnt my soleus out completely. Good burn, pretty good pump I guess, not a lot of focus though. Standing calf raises hit my gastros pretty well. Leg presses were a good exercise for hammering my quads, and glutes. Really felt it all throughout my lower body. Sissy squats really stretched out my quads well. Good burn in my quads too. Leg ext. were a good conrtraction and burn out for my quads. Dumbbell stiff-legged deadlifts stretched my hamstrings well and hit them hard, Ill feel them tomorrow for sure. Leg curls finished off my hams really well.

Training Length.
    Workout today lasted around 35 minutes. Very brief.

Water.
    Took in a fair amount of water today. Maybe need more.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 12-29-2001 at 04:05 PM.

The diet looks like Atkins for anemic people.@ your bodyweight you should consume no less than 2300-2500cals to loose fat.
    You're starving yourself right now.. In addition you should start the whole process from lowering your caloric intake by 300-500(the most) cals every 10-14 days,staring from your average caloric intake level before starting this diet.

bone crusher
    monstar- if you want to lose fat then you need to not be doing the massing plan but the fat loss plan!

Dont worry what everyone is saying about your low cals... tis only for a week and adkins plan is exactly what he wants here

Reread with the idea of losing fat... it will be difficult to lose fat with the high amts of cals you'll be taking in on the massing plan!

bone crusher
    also as you enter ketosis your workout will suffer so dont sweat the lack of progress right now

remember you are wanting to lose fat (this is your primary goal no?) whilst preserving muscle

the doc-
    Yeah I know what you are saying about this first week its definitely a bitch. Whats the difference between the fat-loss plan and the massing plan? Isnt it basically after 3 days no carbs, 2 100g carb meals, then after 4 days no carbs, 2 100g carb meals. Thats what I specifically read... sorry I havnt even gotten to that part in the book yet!

Help me out please!~ Whats the fat-loss plan all about? Maybe give me a page #... on page 131 he talks about "NHE For Bodybuilders.." That's where I read the diet I am talking about.

Does everything else look alright?
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 12-19-2001 at 05:11 AM.

Wednesday, 12-19-2001

Cardio.
    (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, alternating 1 minute level 8 going a fast-pace then 1 minutes level 5 going a slower-pace.

Diet.
    M1- ground beef + cheese
    M2- 3 boiled eggs + cheese
    M3- ground beef + cheese
    M4- 1 scoop whey protein + 4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Overall Comments.
    Felt okay today. Obviously felt fat and soft just because I am.. Vascularity is really lacking also I noticed that. I am not sure why that is but its really getting on my nerves. Feel good energy and focus wise though so thats good.

Pain/Soreness.
    Pecs are still VERY sore. Delts are still aching but not too bad. Triceps are still hurting pretty bad. Calves and soleus are really sore today and so are my hamstrings. Quads actually arent as bad off as I had thought they were going to be so thats good. Well see what happens.

Sleep.
    8 hours sleep last night. Slept pretty well.. definitely felt rested today. Ended up hitting the snooze button for around an hour straight!

Supplements.
    Good multi-vitamin 2x today; 1g vitamin C 3x today; 2 Xenadrine 3x today. 1 GNC Calcium Complete 3x today. GNC's Sleep Formula before bed.

Training. Rest.

Training Comments.
    N/A.

Training Length.
    N/A.

Water.
    Took in a good amount all day long today.. need more though definitely.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-12-2002 at 02:44 PM.

bone crusher
    dude read the reast of the chapter....
    ignore where it talks about the bb plan.

for fat loss you are eating 30-60 g carb/ day over 4-5 meals
    carbing up on one meal (60-100 g) every 3-4 days

cals are restricted by the way the meals are set up (less than 50 g protein and moderate fat). THis is why rob says not to sweat counting cals as long as your meal is within those constraints you will be in caloric deficit until you reach your new setpoint

the diet is protein centered and thus muscle preserving

dont concentrate as much on progression in your workout but on the intensity (make sure your burning a lot of cals during your lift sessions)

then when you reach your desire bf level you can turn to the massing plan like i will do

the doc-
    Okay so the only difference is that youre only carbing up with ONE meal instead of two am I correct? That makes sense its not really too big of a deal...

Ill read up and letcha know whatsup.

bone crusher
    the other difference is that in massing your in a high fat diet!
    for fat loss its moderate fat (and much lower in cals)

read tha book whilst do the keto thing
    then read it again..lol

the doc-
    I am not really in the high-fat diet too much I dont think. Ground beef doesnt have TOO much fat, he suggests cheese, chicken salad is just chicken and mayo, he suggest flax oil and heavy whipping cream postworkout too..

I dont think I am taking in too much fat considering..

bone crusher
    right it doesn't matter for this 1st week.
    the purpose here is to drain your glycogen like for a ckd

Thursday, 12-20-2001

13-Month Anniversary With Brittany..

Cardio.
    None.

Diet.
    M1- ground beef + cheese
    M2- tuna salad
    M3- Protein Diet bar
    M4- (postworkout) 2 scoops whey protein + 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp. flax seed oil
    M5- Atkin's bar

Overall Comments.
    Today preworkout I weighed 224 lbs. which is down again from previously which is good. I feel that when I started dieting with NHE I was holding a lot of water weight which has recently been dropping. Still feel soft etc. but not too bad anymore. Well see what happens the next few weeks I guess.

Pain/Soreness.
    Chest still pretty sore. Not too back but still sore. Hamstrings and calves are still aching. Everything else feels pretty fine for the most part.. not too hurting today.

Sleep.
    8 hours sleep last night. Slept pretty well.. definitely felt rested today. Good solid 8 hours last night.

Supplements.

Training. Back, Traps, Biceps, Forearms.
    Wide-grip Front Chins (bodyweight) 10x8x7
    Crossbench Dumbbell Pullovers 70x6; 70x6
    Seated V-bar Cable Rows 180x8; 180x7; 180x6
    Dumbbell Shrugs 100x8; 100x7; 100x6
    Standing Barbell Curls 95x7; 95x6
    Incline Dumbbell Hammer Curls 35x6; 35x6
    Standing Barbell Behind-back Wrist Curls 145x25
    Seated Reverse Barbell Wrist Curls 95x12
    Pinching Plates (two tens) :50

Training Comments.
    Workout actually went really well today in my opinion. Had a good overall workout. Chins definitely hit my lats hard... really hit my rear delts hard as well though. Pullovers stretched out my lats and really tore up my serratus completely. Cable rows really ripped up my back completely. Hammered my rhomboids along with the rest of back. Great contraction on those. BB curls were really hard especially after a tough back workout. Incline db curls really f*cked up my brachialis and my upper forearms all the way. Great burn and incredible feeling of exaustion. Forerarms were worked really well.. wrist curls were a GREAT burn. Reverse wrist curls were a really good burn as well. Pinching plates really burnt out my fingers and hands completely.

Training Length.
    Workout today lasted around 40 minutes. Brief and intense.

Water.
    Took in a good amount all day long today but need more.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-16-2002 at 11:10 AM.

Friday, 12-21-2001

Cardio.
    None. Lack of dedication.

Diet.
    M1- ground beef + cheese
    M2- veggies + peanut butter + cheese
    M3- Atkin's bar
    M4- ham + cheese

Overall Comments.
    Really f*cked up my diet today. Ate my first meal around 8:00-8:30 AM and then didnt have any access to food for around 6-7 hours. Definitely missed a meal completely. Really pissed me off big time.. I am going to try and make up for the missed meal.. I dont know whats wrong with me. Bad day today, lack of sleep due to girlfriend problems, and missed a meal. I took a day off from cardio too.. slept in. Today was really f*cked up big-time. F*cked up my diet along with my cardio and my sleep. Totally f*cked up.

Pain/Soreness.
    Chest is sore AGAIN!! Damn I am going to have to either take a few days off my chest, delt, and tri workout or just hit legs again because my chest is aching! My lats are also hurting badly, and so are my soleus. Forearms upper, and lower are hurting. Biceps are sore along with brachialis. Really aching today. Rhomboids are definitely beat up pretty badly. My traps are KILLING me!! Damn! They are hurting so badly.. 3 sets of db shrugs!!

Sleep.
    5 hours sleep last night. Slept pretty well.. definitely felt tired today. Defintely feel tired today and need to get a lot more sleep tonight. Also took a nap today for around 30 minutes maybe. Something along those lines.

Supplements.

Training. Rest.

Training Comments.
    N/A.

Training Length.
    N/A.

Water.
    Took in a good amount of water all day long today.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-12-2002 at 02:43 PM.

Saturday, 12-22-2001

Cardio.

Diet.
    M1- 3 scrambled eggs + cheese + ham
    M2- frozen steak + cheese + 1 tbsp. mayo
    M3- frozen steak + cheese + 1 tbsp. mayo
    M4- chicken breast + green beans
    M5- spaghetti + Ragu sauce + 2 scoops ice-cream + apple

Overall Comments.
    The one thing that I have noticed about this diet and after reading NHE is that I really am not experiencing too many cravings which is good for. This morning I was really craving a big tall glass or orange juice but thats one of probably only a couple cravings in 7 days. Which is definitely good. Damm eating my carb-up meal was such a great reward. I felt so good eating that ice-cream I ate it all slow to really enjoy haha. I had a big-ass bowl of pasta with spaghetti sauce and some Ice-Cream Sandwich flavored ice-cream. Damn it was so goddamn good. I didnt know what to do. I just ate the apple for some fiber basically. Rob Faigin swears by high-fiber fruits like apples etc. Really startin to love this diet with either a one big carb meal or 2 smaller carb meals. I personally like the one big meal.

Pain/Soreness.
    Chest is still pretty sore. Side and rear delts are REALLY hurting badly. Cant really figure out why or whats wrong. I dont even know how they were hit so hard in my pull workout. Back is KILLING! Lats and rhomboids are beat up badly and so are my traps.. my traps are hurting so badly. Forearms all over are killing me along with my hands.. my biceps are sore too.

Sleep.
    8 hours sleep last night. Slept straight through and had a very restful and deep sleep.

Supplements.
    Good multi-vitamin 2x today; 1g vitamin C 3x today; 2 Xenadrine 3x today, 5g creatine with the carb-meal + 600 mg. ALA. 1 GNC Calcium Complete 3x today. GNC's Sleep Formula before bed.

Training. Rest.

Training Comments.
    N/A.

Training Length.
    N/A.

Water.
    Took in a pretty good amount all day long today.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-12-2002 at 02:41 PM.