Thread: Need advice on combining weightlifting/cardio

Wannabebig New Member

Need advice on combining weightlifting/cardio

I know there have been a lot of threads similar to this one, but it seems that individual goals and stats have an effect on the advice given, so here is my situation.

I've been doing fairly serious weightlifting for about 4 months now. Before I had done occasional lifting with machines, but once I started using free weights and eating more protein and calories, I realized what I was doing before really wasn't doing much. I am 21 years old, 6'5" and 180lbs. Before I started lifting seriously, I was about 160lbs.

I am currently doing a 4 day workout plan that has chest/shoulders/tris on mon/thurs and bis/back on tues/fri with leg exercises mixed in on all days. No exercise is done on more than one day per week.

I don't keep a strict diet, but I do focus on taking in lots of protein (I drink around 2 protein shakes per day and drink about 2 gallons of milk per week). I usually eat cereal for breakfast, a large sandwich for lunch, a small sandwich for a second lunch, and a supper which includes some sort of meat (hotdogs, burgers, or chicken). I also drink lots and lots of water.

All of the weight I put on since working out is not all muscle. I really didn't care about putting on a little fat as long as I was gaining some muscle, but now that I have put on a little bit of muscle, a lot of it (especially on the front torso) is covered by small patches of fat. I would like to remove this fat so that the muscle can be seen.

The catch is that I don't want to lose any strength while doing this. I had taken a month off when I went on a trip at the beginning of Summer, and it took me over a month to get my bench press back where it was before. Ideally, I'd like to come up with a plan that combines weightlifting and cardio (I already run half a mile 4 days a week to warm up for weightlifting). I don't have time, though, to just add on lots of cardio to my current weightlifting plan. My idea was to keep doing one core exercie for each muscle group (bench press, squats, dumbell curls...) for 2 or 3 days a week and then do cardio on those days as well as other days which would be soley devoted to cardio. This cardio would include jogging, swimming, possibly row machines and other machines like that. I would also include things like pushups and situps.

The diet for this new plan would include much healthier eating (lots of fruit and vegetables), fewer calories, and trying to eliminate food after around 8pm. After I gained the desired six pack and was satisfied with my appearance, I would continue back with my regular weightlifting with more cardio and attention to diet than before.

I was hoping for some critique on my plan and possibly some advice on better ways to go about reaching my goals. Thanks.

I'd ditch the pre-workout cardio - do it at the end.

You can't cardio off the weight. This part is diet. Cardio means you don't have to diet quite as hard, but lots of cardio is really counter productive

No need to ditch food after 8. I'm cutting right now, and still, I eat my last meal just before I go to bed.

I would suggest you track your maintenance calories for a few days or a week on www.fitday.com to see what you're eating now.

Then, post up your macros and your training split so we can see what we can offer you.

And hi. Welcome to WBB.

I heard that the only way to lose fat is to create a calorie deficit, therefore using stored fat as energy because other energy sources are exhausted.

Please tell me that's wrong.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Well, you can lose fat without creating a caloric deficit, if you can somehow convince your body to recompose and put on muscle at the same time.

It's just not very fast.

riprogrammazione
    After four months of training I'd suggest you try something like the UD2(Ultimate Diet 2.0). You'll learn a lot about your own metabolism and the effects that carbohydrates have on it in the process that may help you greatly in future diet planning, plus the full-body routines are IMHO the best route for begginners.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

The .pdf costs $20. It's s good read even if you decide not to use the program, which you should.

Wannabebig New Member
    I went to fitday.com and found that this is what I putting in me in the typical day:
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 2604
    Fat: 104 937 37%
    Sat: 41 366 14%
    Poly: 15 139 5%
    Mono: 37 329 13%
    Carbs: 287 1085 42%
    Fiber: 15 0 0%
    Protein: 136 545 21%

I came up with some different meal plans for me and now it looks more like this:
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 2539
    Fat: 93 840 34%
    Sat: 33 295 12%
    Poly: 13 116 5%
    Mono: 28 252 10%
    Carbs: 263 1012 41%
    Fiber: 10 0 0%
    Protein: 161 645 26%

I do plan on doing cardio 3 days a week for about 45 minutes because I really don't want to have to alter my diet greatly. Please let me know if I still need to make additional changes to this new diet plan. Thanks.

Your 135 minutes of weekly cardio might burn off what, 1000 calories a week? If ALL of these are fat calories, you'll lose a pound every 3.5 weeks from it.

My feeling is that your protein is too low. You're a 6'5" guy, and I eat more protein than you.

Fats look fine (but don't drop them any more), maybe switch a hundred grams of your carbs for protein?

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    After four months of training I'd suggest you try something like the UD2(Ultimate Diet 2.0). You'll learn a lot about your own metabolism and the effects that carbohydrates have on it in the process that may help you greatly in future diet planning, plus the full-body routines are IMHO the best route for begginners.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

The .pdf costs $20. It's s good read even if you decide not to use the program, which you should.
    Although it is a good read, I don't quite agree that it is good for beginners. It definately is a brutal diet and routine. The read alone will teach you a lot, though.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Only 10g of fiber and 33 grams of saturated fat, those numbers need to be switched.

Nothing wrong with 33g of saturated fat for a man his size.

Of my usual 80 or so daily grams of fat, about 20g are saturated.

My cholesterol used to be high. Now it's nice and low.

I'm TOTALLY with you on the fiber, though. I like to get in about 25g daily.

Banned
    privryan84,

Your a big guy and I was once your size (and age).

But your goals sound conflicting. You lift 3x a week and do a lot of cardio. You don't eat nearly enough for lifting (for reference, I drink 12 litres of 2% milk a week and my average intake is 3,200-4,000 calories a day). Any gains that you make during your weight sessions are conteracted by doing so much cardio. Do you want to get bigger or stay thin and cut?

My advice is forget the spot fat that comes with getter larger. Eat way more and concentrate on your lifting. Get bigger. The girls can check out your abs when your older. If you plan your eating properly (as you seem to do), you should be able to put on some nice lean mass and not get too *fat* in the process. Seriously, guy, you need to put some weight on.

I really didn't care about putting on a little fat as long as I was gaining some muscle, but now that I have put on a little bit of muscle, a lot of it (especially on the front torso) is covered by small patches of fat. I would like to remove this fat so that the muscle can be seen
    A little muscle on your frame is not enough. 180lbs of muscle and bones is too thin for your size, IMO. My opinion, and it's only mine so feel free to disagree, is to get yourself up to at least 220lbs and then if you want to cut, you'll actually have something to show.
    Last edited by jkirkpatrick; 07-29-2005 at 07:23 AM.