Thread: Blood Pressure Inconsistencies

Blood Pressure Inconsistencies

What can cause high blood pressure, other then the obvious of high fat diets, overweight, etc? I am only 19 years old, and I have high blood pressure. However it’s sporadic... Ill go to the Walgreen’s BP machines and ill get 159/89, then 155/90. So im thinking ok really high, guess I just need to jack down sodium and fats. But then ill go home and take a test with our home machine, and ill have a perfect 120/80. Whats up with this, could anxiety play with my BP and make it go higher whenever I see those machines?

Quote Originally Posted by pbsteve09
    What can cause high blood pressure, other then the obvious of high fat diets, overweight, etc? I am only 19 years old, and I have high blood pressure. However it’s sporadic... Ill go to the Walgreen’s BP machines and ill get 159/89, then 155/90. So im thinking ok really high, guess I just need to jack down sodium and fats. But then ill go home and take a test with our home machine, and ill have a perfect 120/80. Whats up with this, could anxiety play with my BP and make it go higher whenever I see those machines?
    Stimulants/supplements, high salt intake, recent strenuous physical activity, adrenal tumors, simple inheritance, alcohol intake, anxiety. Just a few of many.

If you're 19 and it's been in that elevated range on more than 2 or 3 separate readings.......it should be checked out.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

anxiety plays a major role. theres an actual condition called white coat syndrome were you get nervous at the doctors causing a much elevated bp. If your getting good readings in the comfort of you own home i def say the environment and stress is what is causing an elevated bp.

Maybe ill get it checked out some time. But im thinking...well if alcohol really has something to do with it, those weekends out with the guys in college is probably having a say in it. And i really thinking it was the anxiety as well. But thanks for the resp. fellas