The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Best Hand Strengthener?

I want to buy a hand strengthner, the one i had was my dads old one where you have a loop of metal to make a resistance, it was nice but it snapped in half just the other night. Anyone use hand strengtheners? What do you like and where can you buy it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try the farmer's walk. Look it up.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^^^^^

I think by "nut crusher" he was referring to the hand strengthener you described, because they look like walnut crackers.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I noticed that those "nut crusher" things aren't very resistant to my grip and I probably just have an average grip-strength for a weightlifter.

Are there ones with different resistances that you can buy or do they not vary the resitance on them very much?

If I took an average one and gripped it I'd be able to do reps for quite a while (above the low-rep range that I'd be looking for)
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Are there ones with different resistances that you can buy or do they not vary the resitance on them very much?
    You can purchase different ones that vary in resistance quite a bit.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    You can purchase different ones that vary in resistance quite a bit.
    Oh then nevermind my above post.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by law56ker
    I want to buy a hand strengthner, the one i had was my dads old one where you have a loop of metal to make a resistance, it was nice but it snapped in half just the other night. Anyone use hand strengtheners? What do you like and where can you buy it.
    This site has generic "Captain of Crush" grippers and the Ivanko gripper. If you buy any of these, you can be pretty sure they'll never snap on you...

http://www.wwfitness.com/

You could also go to ironmind.com for a lot of grip items: http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...nts.asp?dept=7

heavy deads...someone had to say it ^^

If you want really strong hands, this is the hardcore way to go:

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/trai...ards-rungs.htm

You can build most of the campus rungs and campus boards on this site from scrap stuff at home with little effort. I don't know if you could build a good hangboard unless you're particularly "handy". (<-- kind of a punn )

I've also built another hand strengthening device that I've included some pictures of. It is made out of a peice of exhaust pipe, and a 2x6 mainly. I've coined it 'the device' and I've made various holds for it that work your contact strength (grip strength) in varying ways and amounts. I am interesting in bouldering which is why I've gone to all this trouble for hand strength.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet_kid
    If you want really strong hands, this is the hardcore way to go:

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/trai...ards-rungs.htm

You can build most of the campus rungs and campus boards on this site from scrap stuff at home with little effort. I don't know if you could build a good hangboard unless you're particularly "handy". (<-- kind of a punn )
    Hmmm. A campus board is proably the LAST thing that I'd recommend to anyone.

A hangboard is okay.

Most lifters will want bar gripping strength and/or crushing strength. I recommend thick bar work and heavy duty crushers.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

i like static holds.. they're good for traps too. half hanging pullups holding onto a towel is challenging as well
    Last edited by twm; 07-28-2005 at 10:02 AM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    not wearing straps, while incorporating heavy pulling exercises, pullups, deadlifts, rows and such help a ton with my hand and grip strength.

im a college offensive lineman and im known on our team by our fellow defensive linemen for my "death grip" and thats about all i use
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/Hand...and_grips.html

or

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/Kett...tle_grips.html

Lots of websites selling great grippers. That's just one example.
    Stats
    -----------
    29yrs old
    6ft
    239lbs
    Bulking for a few more weeks

7/27
    Bench: 1x315 Squat: 4x365 Dead: Need to Max
    8/11
    Bench: 1x335 Squat: 2x425 Dead: 1x385
    "Before I'm through I'm going to make He-man look like She-Ra!"-Me

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Hmmm. A campus board is proably the LAST thing that I'd recommend to anyone.

A hangboard is okay.

Most lifters will want bar gripping strength and/or crushing strength. I recommend thick bar work and heavy duty crushers.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious about why you wouldn't recomend a campus board. I realise they're not for everyone. But it requires a huge amount of upperbody and hand strength, and it uses your bodyweight as resistance. I have used campus boards considerably and realized strength gains because of it.

Is it just because you think the goals of a campus board is not well aligned with the goals of bodybuilders?

It sounds like you are saying something is drastically flawed with campus boards generally.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Is it just because you think the goals of a campus board is not well aligned with the goals of bodybuilders?

It sounds like you are saying something is drastically flawed with campus boards generally.
    Especially so to the first part. A campus board should NOT be used by someone without signficant climbing or hand strength experience, period. It's probably not dangerous to big bodybuilders because I doubt they COULD use it.

For the second part, a partial yes to that as well. As someone who had built and used a campus board (on the rock wall in my kitchen, at that), I can say I developed my highest level of contact finger strength ever. However, I do think they are far too dangerous for the results they provide, and most importantly, they're not that great for improving CLIMBING.

Maybe if you need extreme finger strength for climbing, um, Action Directe, they're useful. However, for everyone else, other training methods for finger strength, like hypergravity isolation training (the other HIT), are a much safer way to develop similar strength levels.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I think some people in here do not understand that holding heavy weight for a pro-longed duration isn't training your crushing grip strength.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Especially so to the first part. A campus board should NOT be used by someone
    everyone else, other training methods for finger strength, like hypergravity isolation training (the other HIT), are a much safer way to develop similar strength levels.
    Ok, that's good reasoning. I don't do alot of lead climbing or belaying, I do mostly bouldering so I have noticed an increase in my climbing skills as a result of the campus board. Bouldering is dominated by bursty power moves onto tiny holds, and the campus board exercises these skills well. It does have a "well-used" mat beneath it however, and you make a great point about the safety factor of someone doing it at home without proper precautions.

Thanks for your explanation.

Ok, that's good reasoning. I don't do alot of lead climbing or belaying, I do mostly bouldering so I have noticed an increase in my climbing skills as a result of the campus board. Bouldering is dominated by bursty power moves onto tiny holds, and the campus board exercises these skills well. It does have a "well-used" mat beneath it however, and you make a great point about the safety factor of someone doing it at home without proper precautions.

Thanks for your explanation.
    Well, to be more specific, I don't think that the falling off part is the problem.

The risk to tendons is very high with campus boards and very few climbers train with them any more. Finger tendons and elbows are very vulnerable to damage. I never hurt myself on a campus board (though I have busted finger tendons in other ways) but I would be fairly sore after frequent use.

In particular, you can train contact strength much more safely on slopers and open handed stuff, and crimp and static strength with HIT.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I think some people in here do not understand that holding heavy weight for a pro-longed duration isn't training your crushing grip strength.
    However, there is probably more grip strength carry over between wrapped hand gripping (like a bar) and crushing (as in grippers), and so it's reasonable to cross train the two. Other types of gripping are far less useful for lifting purposes, e.g. pinching or crimping.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I feel like this is targetted specifically at me so... I can't quit seem to see him asking specifically for crushing grip strengtheners, as much as I see him asking for ways to strengthen grip

It wasn't targetted at anyone, but in his note he describes a hand gripper (loop of metal), which is what people are generally using for crushing grip strength. Anyone can pinch plates or hold a bar with lots of weight. So if he's asking for a new gripper type device then that's not the same training as static holds, etc.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

you could also try a riff-grip, its a thing guitarists use to strengthen their fingers, you can do each finger individually or the whole grip at once then, although you might want to go to a music shop and try one first to see if it gives enough resistance.

Da Big Bad Grip Punk Sybersnott's Avatar
    If I may, I would like to offer my services to this forum when it comes to grip strength, training your grip and the various devices to do so.

I'm a IronMind certified Captain Of Crush, a certified Mash Monster... and quite recently I became a Heavy Grips GRIPPER KING.

I can answer most questions about using the grippers, how to train with them, and how to build up your grip strength with what you already have. I'm looking for a new forum to help educate those who would like my help in this particular area.
    certified IRONMIND Captain Of Crush
    certified GRIPBOARD Mash Monster - Level 1
    certified Heavy Grips GRIPPER KING - October 2005
    1st person to complete the Emerson Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnott
    If I may, I would like to offer my services to this forum when it comes to grip strength, training your grip and the various devices to do so.

I'm a IronMind certified Captain Of Crush, a certified Mash Monster... and quite recently I became a Heavy Grips GRIPPER KING.

I can answer most questions about using the grippers, how to train with them, and how to build up your grip strength with what you already have. I'm looking for a new forum to help educate those who would like my help in this particular area.
    Just post your advice here, thanks

Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnott

Yeah, do you have a spare COC Trainer laying around? I was supposed to get one for my birthday, but no one felt like using the damned internet to order one for me.