Thread: Better use for Diet soda?

Better use for Diet soda?

Ok im not 100% sure on this but its what I heard and I just put it together with other info.

On Fit TV or discovery channel, not sure which one. I heard the diet soda isn't to much better then regular soda b/c it contains aspartame and aspartame has the same effect that regular soda has b/c it causes a high insulin spike. If this is true wouldn't diet soda be good for post workout? Since it would cause the insulin spike and all that, which os the reason people use dex/malto dex.

I wannabebig!
    no

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I'm going to agree with ryuage.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Grasshoppa
    It can, but it isn't high. And it definately isn't high enough to use as a form of post workout spiking strategy....not even close.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

O ok I was just wondering.

you can , however, add it to a homemade barbecue sauce with catsup and it is great
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    also it goes really good with rum (coconut) for a jack and coke coke replacement if your diebetic or tryin to reduce your sugar intake!

stick with plain dex for that insulin spike PWO...cheap and effective...what more could u want?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

it also adds a nice little added sweetness to the protien shake...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Wannabebig Member
    You should drink up now, because I'm guessing the stuff won't even be legal in 5 or 10 years.

http://cspinet.org/new/200507272.html

The FDA will fight this as long as they can since they have a lot of money at stake. But enough independent studies will eventually force them to ban this poison.

the best use for diet cola is shaking the sucke up and throwing it in a public area to see people dance.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwalken
    You should drink up now, because I'm guessing the stuff won't even be legal in 5 or 10 years.

http://cspinet.org/new/200507272.html

The FDA will fight this as long as they can since they have a lot of money at stake. But enough independent studies will eventually force them to ban this poison.
    I would hardly consider the CSPI a reputable source of information.
    http://www.cspiscam.com/
    It should be noted that this is almost certainly an industry funded site (and so should be viewed with a similar level of scepticism as CSPI itself), but it does give some context to CSPIs claims.

Aspartame is one of the most widely studied food additives in existence. The overwhelming bulk of evidence suggests aspartame is safe when consumed at non-insane levels.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 08-01-2005 at 10:29 AM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron
    I would hardly consider the CSPI a reputable source of information.
    http://www.cspiscam.com/
    It should be noted that this is almost certainly an industry funded site (and so should be viewed with a similar level of scepticism as CSPI itself), but it does give some context to CSPIs claims.
    Well, in this case, CSPI is just referencing a study conducted by an Italian university and published in the European Journal of Oncology. I actually heard it on cnn, and just googled it and that was the first link that popped up.

Aspartame is one of the most widely studied food additives in existence. The overwhelming bulk of evidence suggests aspartame is safe when consumed at non-insane levels.
    This simply is not true. The only studies concluding that aspartame is safe were conducted by the FDA and largely funded by nutrasweet. Independent (mostly university) studies have had mixed/inconclusive results at best.

This simply is not true. The only studies concluding that aspartame is safe were conducted by the FDA and largely funded by nutrasweet. Independent (mostly university) studies have had mixed/inconclusive results at best.
    http://www.greenfacts.org/aspartame/...rtame-99.htm#0
    Source document:
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/scf/out155_en.pdf

Of course, if new evidence suggests it is unsafe that's a whole other story.
    Science is a constant process of reevaluation. If an overwhelming body of evidience show aspartame is unsafe, the FDA should take action.

If you ready the study referenced by CSPI (which is available as a PDF) it does suggest an increase in lymphomas and leukemias--at least in female rats (no statistically significant difference was found in males). But consider that a can of pop contains approx 25mg of aspartame and the lowest dose administered to the groups in which a statistically significant increase of these pathologies were detected was the equivalent of someone like myself (weighing 220 lbs) drinking 45 cans of pop a day every day for my entire life, it hardly seems convincing. That's not to say I think the study is invalid, simply that IMO it should be taken with a (large) grain of salt.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 08-01-2005 at 11:21 AM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.greenfacts.org/aspartame/...rtame-99.htm#0
    Source document:
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/scf/out155_en.pdf

Of course, if new evidence suggests it is unsafe that's a whole other story.
    Science is a constant process of reevaluation. If an overwhelming body of evidience show aspartame is unsafe, the FDA should take action.

If you ready the study referenced by CSPI (which is available as a PDF) it does suggest an increase in lymphomas and leukemias--at least in female rats (no statistically significant difference was found in males). But consider that a can of pop contains approx 25mg of aspartame and the lowest dose administered to the groups in which a statistically significant increase of these pathologies were detected was the equivalent of someone like myself (weighing 220 lbs) drinking 45 cans of pop a day every day for my entire life, it hardly seems convincing. That's not to say I think the study is invalid, simply that IMO it should be taken with a (large) grain of salt.

A can of soda could contain as much as 100mg of aspartame. Note that the avg intake of aspartame is about 2 to 3 mg / kg of body weight, and that a dosage of 4 mg / kg of body weight increased the occurrance of the cancerous compounds by 62%. Not enough to be statistically significant perhaps, but still a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwalken
    A can of soda could contain as much as 100mg of aspartame. Note that the avg intake of aspartame is about 2 to 3 mg / kg of body weight, and that a dosage of 4 mg / kg of body weight increased the occurrance of the cancerous compounds by 62%. Not enough to be statistically significant perhaps, but still a little scary.
    Yes, it looks like my figure was significantly off (dunno where I pulled it from). Doing a few quick checks, it seems the amount may be even higher than 100mg (I saw figures as high as 200mg per can) which negates my previous comments.

I'm not going to stop drinking diet soda because of this, however. If it's supported by further studies, I will reconsider.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 08-01-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Regular soda does cause an insulin spike because of the fructose but it's harder for your system to absorb and utilize. Actually, the fructose undegoes a hepatic conversion and its mostly eliminated.

An alternative might be to take a diet soda and add maltodextrin. There's your spike.
    "It's all about the diet. If you eat like crap, expect to look that way."

It's not the fructose that causes the insulin spike. Fructose is low GI.

It's the glucose part of HFCS that spikes insulin.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't really trust aspartame so I switched to Diet Crush (it comes in cream soda, grape and orange) and its made with splenda which I've only heard good things about.

Also Theres a new diet coke coming out made with splenda (which displays they switched for unspoken reasons). The research articles I have read about splenda are not negative while about 90% of the non-FDA ones on aspartame are negative or as mentioned; inconclusive.

Aspartame also has been linked to neurological and endocrine disorders and I may be working on a research study on aspartame in the next few years to figure it out. For now its just a waiting game, but just to be safe I'd switch.
    Last edited by Fitnessfreak; 08-01-2005 at 11:25 PM.