Thread: Changed my BP grip

Changed my BP grip

I've been stuck at 195-200lbs * 8 on flat freeweights barbell bench for the last few months. If ever there was a plateau, mine was the mother of all plateaus. I have a 4 day split, doing chest&tris on day #1, back&bis(including DLs) on #2, shoulders on #3 and legs on #4. I'm 6'0 and 185lbs.

I know that I could have gained weight to get my numbers up, but didn't wanna do that.

So today I changed my BP grip and used a wider grip. I usually keep my pinkies just inside the rings. So today I tried benching with my middle fingers on the rings, and did 155 * 8, 165 * 8 and 175 * 7. I was surprised that it was so much harder. I usually do 185 * 8, 195 * 8, 200 * 7 and 205 * 5 with my old narrower grip.

I think that by using the same narrow grip for the last 6 months, my anterior delts and tris got really strong at the expense of my pecs.

From now on, I'm gonna try alternating grips between wide and narrow. I pray that this helps me bulldoze this friggin plateau to smithereens. Do you think it'll help?
    Last edited by ufc2005; 07-08-2005 at 06:51 PM.

I havnt gained weight in a long time, infact i've lost weight since last year and i've become stronger in my bench. If you wanna get your numbers up blast your close grip bench.

Banned
    Pinkies inside the rings? boy what are you smokin?

Is putting your little fingers on the ring THAT uncommon? Does noone else here use that kinda grip for benching?

I put mine about an inch inside the ring.

i put ring, sometimes middle on the ring

what about eating...is the diet right?

Maybe 8 reps ain't right. Do 4-6. When you can do 4-6 for three sets, move up.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

'cause it doesn't matter where you put your hands...if you can squeeze out a couple more pounds by moving your hands...the next time you'll be stuck
    Last edited by BG5150; 07-08-2005 at 10:55 PM.
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz981
    Pinkies inside the rings? boy what are you smokin?
    Before you go ape****...the power rings in at my gym are at different locations from bench to bench.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    Before you go ape****...the power rings in at my gym are at different locations from bench to bench.
    I noticed that, too...different bars have different rings....

I just use what's comfortable...

Banned
    Fair enough but the gym I reign from pinkies inside the rings is a little extreme which is why I said that...but true true they do range from gym to gym

Where you put your hands on the bar also depends on how long your arms are.
    Where are your abs? Start looking for them in the kitchen.

I widend my grip up about 3 inches on either side. The first time I struggled to get 225x6, I wasnt used to the grip. About 2-3 weeks later I did 250x10 which I give much of the credit to the grip since I think its more chest the wider the grip is and that my chest was stronger then I gave it credit for. Go with what works for you.

Varying your grip width definitely stresses different muscles.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Widening your grip will decrease the ROM and, with practice, you should be able to bench more. You need to do it gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Widening your grip will decrease the ROM and, with practice, you should be able to bench more. You need to do it gradually.
    Its true, I widened my grip to ring finger on the rings a while back and at first it was uncomfortable and i was weaker but i very quickly put up more than i did with a closer grip.