Thread: Stretching

Stretching

First of all - I notice that most people in the gym dont stretch at all, and find this very interesting because I have been taught since school to properly warm up and warm down again.

However, it seems not everyone seems to believe in it. I have also read a lot of conflicting advice on how and when it should be done: for example,

Some say that stretching before sets tires out the muscle;
    The same is said for stretching between sets;
    whilst others will swear by it;
    More still say use a lighter weight to warm up the muscle instead.

What do other people think about the benefits of stretching for bodybuilders and can they offer me any advice on how to do it to assist in achieving maximum gains in strength and size.

*With every workout, I warm up rowing, then stretch the relevant areas before weights and stay warm by moderately stretching the muscle between sets.

I think stretching/warming up before workouts helps to reduce the chance of injury.

I never stretch before or after a workout.

I do however stretch between sets. Usually its just the basic isometric stretches; however, between certain "big" exercises, I'll use a PNF approach of static/dynamic stretches. It seems to help a lot.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Canadian
    i cannot remember where i read this, but i believe it was the exact opposite of syntekz's post. that stretching before exercise can make u more prone to injury and possibly decrease strength.

has anyone else read something like this before?
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

I think I've heard of that theory as well. Something like 'a tighter muscle is a stronger muscle?'

decease, RIP
    I stretch one hour after my workout, and before I go to bed everyday.

Originally posted by mds_79
    i cannot remember where i read this, but i believe it was the exact opposite of syntekz's post. that stretching before exercise can make u more prone to injury and possibly decrease strength.

has anyone else read something like this before?

*** Cackerot had posted several studies showing that stretching was in fact deemed detrimental to ones strength.
    I however explained why those studies were not complete.
    It would depend on what type of stretching your doing.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I remember reading that too.....I forget where..it was an online magazine I think, they said that stretching would actually increse chance of injury or something. anyway, I've never stretched before after or during a workout. Except my calves, after heavy pressing we have this calf stretcher thing that I use, it feels neat so I use it.

3:16
    I am not sure if stretching is detremental. but I do not think there is any evidence to say "stretching decrease the risk of injury, compared to some light warm up sets."

You can stretch after your trianing and still get flexability benifits.

i used to stretch before trianing. i do not any more. Have not noticed any difference.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

i stretch after and not before.

yes, interesting, then it is as I thought - there seems to be little agreement on the best way to utilise (or not utilise) stretching for weight training purposes.

In fact, I have even seen the value of stretching condradicted by a few articles within the same magazine and no real conclusion reached.

What about Yoga? I find it amazing that people seem to be able to get some sort of exhaustive physical workout from this ???

...oh, and that other thing, 'pilates' is another one, I think

Yoga can be challenging to the begginer, due to the isometric nature of some of the moves. Pilates is damn nuts, I tried it and boy was it hard on the abs. Oh and it was a begginers class.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

oh yeah, and thanks heaps for your feedback guys!!

Hands down... I recommend stretching before and after a workout. The comment about a tighter muscle being a stronger muscle is just plain false. Stretching will not only warm-up your muscles for the workout, but it will allow you a greater ROM (which in the long run allows you to be more efficient with your exercises and build muscle faster), and it will decrease the likelihood of pulling a muscle.

Any loss in strength from minor stretching is so negligent that it won't effect your goals.

I prefer to let light weight warmup sets do that for me. Its often a lot more effective.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bigger fewl
    Stretching detrimental to strength? Tom Platz comes to mind.....
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.