Thread: First post... Week 1 of my cutting journey

Hybrid View

Smacked!

First post... Week 1 of my cutting journey

Hi guys, I've been reading the forums here for about a month now and it has completely inspired me to better my body. This is my first post so I figured I would give you guys some background information on me. I've been lifting off and on since my sophmore year of highschool probably. I have never even thought about what I was eating when I ate it so as you can imagine, I was never cut like I wanted to be. Now I'm 19 years old standing 5'11" weighing in at 167lbs, I've decided I'm ready to start eating right and training properly to get my body as cut as possible. I haven't picked up a set of weights since my senior year of highschool until last week. Right now I attend college full-time and work part-time as a waitor so finding time to workout is hard. I usually work about 3-4 days a week and when I'm there, I'm on my feet for the whole 5-8 hours of the shift, usually speed walking. I think that's actually a fair source of cardio to help my cut. You can only imagine how hard it is sticking to a diet while working at a resturant but I've been going good for this first week. My diet consists of all sugar-free, low carb, and protein loaded foods. I haven't actually made a meal plan or anything yet but I eat the right foods. The only things I drink are water, diet iced-tea, and 1% milk. I drink protein shakes after every workout and usually when I get home from work. My main goal here is to shed bodyfat and bring out the definintion of my abs while still having the rest of the body in proportion with it.

So far my workout is basically a 3 day cycle.

Day 1: Weighted crunches using a 35lb. dumbell, 3 sets of 15 reps. Leg raises, 3 sets of 15 reps. Hanging knee raises, 3 sets of as many as I can do.

Day 2: Dumbell press on a swiss ball, 3 sets of 20. Dumbell curls, 3 sets of 20.

Day 3: 30 minutes of jogging, usually on the treadmill but it broke yesterday so I'm outside from now on.

After day 3, it all just repeats. I don't feel I need a rest day considering my workouts aren't that intense at all. I also forgot to mention that I live in a 1 bedroom garage apartment and the closest gym is 15 miles away so my equipment is limited. As of now, I have a floor, a swiss ball, a custom pull up bar, 2 35lb. dumbells, a broken treadmill, and a weight bench with no bar or weight. I plan on investing in a 300lb. olympic bench set very soon to throw in the garage.

Like I said, my goal is to lose bodyfat and bring out muscle definition overall, but I want that 6 pack ASAP . I'm open to all comments and suggestions regarding my routine. I was also wondering if anyone could give me and estimate of my bodyfat? I've never been measured at all so just a shot in the dark estimate is better than nothing right now.

Finally, here are the pics of week 1 cutting... let me know what you think.

P.S.: I'm not very good with pictures and I only cut the face out due to the odd faces that come along with my poses.

you only train your chest/biceps/abs.....

Smacked!
    Yeah, I guess so. I am focusing on upper body development right now. The rest of my body develops just fine with my cardio and as cheap as it may sound, from my job. I'm not trying to get super huge or anything, just really cut for now. But, that's also why I said I'm open to comments and suggestions, start suggesting!

Btw, The look I'm going for is between the size of Vin Diesel in F&F and Brad Pitt in Fight Club.
    Last edited by smackt; 07-31-2005 at 11:36 AM.

You should check out WannaBeSmall.com.

Smacked!
    Fair enough, I didn't know cutting wasn't building your body. How about offering some useful suggestions? I'm obviously new and I'm sure most of you have alot more experience than me, so some real advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by smackt
    Fair enough, I didn't know cutting wasn't building your body. How about offering some useful suggestions? I'm obviously new and I'm sure most of you have alot more experience than me, so some real advice would be appreciated.
    LOL..sorry man, we're just havin' fun with ya..

Not training your legs is the biggest mistake you can make.

Walking, Speed Walking, Jogging, Sprinting, Jumping, etc. are not ways to train your legs. They are endurance training at best, and will do nothing for your musculature. You need weighted movements in there for legs, such as squats, Straight Legged Dead Lift, Lunges...these are all things you can do with your minimal equipment, once you get your 300lb olympic set.

You will never achieve your physique goals with the workouts you're put down. You need to train legs, BACK, and start using some heavy weight. At your bodyfat (which I estimate to be 12% or less) you'll have that 6 pack in a matter of weeks with some strict cutting, but you're probably not gonna like having a nicely toned upper body with chicken legs.

To drop the fat, the diet is more important than the cardio, and the weight training burns more calories than cardio anyway. Overall caloric defecit is what drops the fat, and weights will put your overall defecit lower. Do more weights, less (or no) cardio.

Don't be a bench/curl jockey...

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    You should check out WannaBeSmall.com.
    Woot. Finally a guy that is my size and trying to get smaller. Soon, I will be second smallest!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Smacked!
    It's not that I'm small and wanna cut bodyfat with no muscle. Last time I was on a bench (probably 6 months ago), I put up 230, granted I was 10 lbs. heavier. I already have muscle, I just want it to show some definition. If you read my original post, I have hardly any equipment to work with right now.

Good luck to you bro, I can't see the reason to cut.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Good luck to you bro, I can't see the reason to cut.
    :withstupi
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

*baby Jesus sheds a tear after viewing your workout*

5/3/1 Journal

There's no gym at your college?

Smacked!
    You will never achieve your physique goals with the workouts you're put down. You need to train legs, BACK, and start using some heavy weight. At your bodyfat (which I estimate to be 12% or less) you'll have that 6 pack in a matter of weeks with some strict cutting, but you're probably not gonna like having a nicely toned upper body with chicken legs.
    First off, thanks for finally replying with useful stuff. I completely understand what you mean too, once I do get a bench, I'm going to squat and deadlift. As for my chicken legs, I'll either get some measurements or take some pictures later of them so we can see what we're working with. My legs have definition so there's some muscle there, but I'm sure they still classify as chicken legs because I haven't worked them with weights in ages.

There's no gym at your college?
    I've been there once and it's really small and wayyyy over-crowded. Since I'm on summer break now anyway, I didn't even think about it. Also, college is 22 miles away and I commute.

Legs are the biggest muscles you have, so they can be your biggest asset. Working legs is also critical in both overall physique develpment, and not getting made fun-of at the gym behind your back. I figured that after a month of reading on here, you had to witness a leg-flaming at some point..lol.

5/3/1 Journal

Hey

Just catching up here.

The loooooong sets you're doing are counterproductive. You need to hit the muscles in hypertrophy or strength ranges, especially while cutting.

Heavy leg work is NOT optional. It's a must. Your upper body will develop better because of the lower body work you do (releases test), and the metabolic boost you'll get from working these, the largest muscles in your body, is unparalleled.

Back work will not only make you look great from behind, but also keep you from curling inward as you work your chest, shoulders and abs.

Abs only need a few short heavy sets a week. I do 3-6 weighted sets of about 8-10 reps a week when I think of it.

Your abs will get hit hard as you start doing more leg work anyway.

Post up your diet. Diet is really the only significant difference between bulking and cutting.

And welcome to wbb.

What everybody else said. Get that 300lb weight set ASAP man. Everybody pretty much covered everything. You just gotta get those weights and get goin.

I don't see a reason to cut either. I'd be bulking hardcore.

That's up to you though. Welcome and good luck man.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 07-31-2005 at 02:37 PM.

Don't cut. Eat food, lift heavy.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I like Builts avatar.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

was about to mention that in another thread

What's this about not having time to lift because you are a full time college student and work 3-4 days per week PART-TIME? You can do it if you really want to. Just about everyone here either works full time, has a family, goes to college full time and works, or has multiple jobs and still manage to find an hour or two a few days a week to work out.

Your sessions don't have to be long. 45 minutes to an hour is usually good enough if you lift with enough intensity. Plus, I agree with everyone else here. You NEED to work legs and back in addition to those "beach muscles". Trust me, if you work those, the rest of you will grow even bigger (working legs and back heavy releases testosterone and we all know what that does).

Finally, judging by your pics, you don't need to cut. Bulk on clean foods slowly and most of what you gain will be muscle. At 5'11" you could probably get up to 180-190 without looking excessively bulky (since that's not what you're after).

So read up on this site and get to work!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle