Thread: Has anyone tried front squats and what results?

Has anyone tried front squats and what results?

Have been sqautting for about 4 months now and wanted to try something different so I did front squats for the first time ever. Found it was a bit painfull on my shoulder muscles and extreamly difficult and thas probably why I have hardley ever seen anyone doing this.

Also found I could do less than half the weight I could in normal squats. This exercise really seemed to isolate my quads and use less hips to move the weight. Made sure I was going below horizontal and on my last set I was only doing 10KG each side but touching my heals on my ass.

What results have u guys had from these? Are they worth the pain on the shoulders? Should I use them as a second exercise after normal squats due to the fact I have to drop the weight so much.

Any ideas?.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by tsmithy; 07-30-2005 at 10:09 PM.

you really have to be careful doing FS because its really awkward at first. You have to do a lot less weight than a traditional squat and you have to have almost perfect form or else you'll lose the weight.

Suggestions:
    *Learn how to front squat correctly with your hands on the bar. It will be tough on your wrists and your elbows (if you have big arms) until you develop flexibility, but it's a much safer exercise if you do. If you have to, start w. just a few fingers on the bar.
    *Really crank the elbows skyward and make sure not to let your head drop at all. These will help you maintain proper upper body positioning throughout the movement.
    *Just like w. regular squats, make sure you keep your abs super tight throughout the movement.

edit: yes, IMHO they are worth it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-31-2005 at 01:07 AM.

I do mine with arm crossed and the bar is resting on my shoulders. I think front squat is easier on the lowerback, but still required much core stability regardless. I will strip off the weight and do it the way sensei described and see how it feel.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    By the end of it I had built up to only 40lbs away from my squat reps. It took awhile to get there though, lol.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

hammin'
    front squats are more of a true quadriceps exercise than back squats
    they also require a good deal more balance
    i like them
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Front squats are awesome although the form can be a little tricky to nail at first.
    I use the hands crossed over grip and its fine for now. However if i wasn't such a wuss i'd probably learn to use a clean grip. It just appears to be more stable and will most likely benefit you as you work up to greater poundages.

Anything over 225 and the arms crossed grip allows the bar to slide down my arms fcuking up my balance and my shoulders. I just do a Clean grip now. I keep my thumb, index, and middle finger on the bar while pointing my elbows as high as I can. The best I've done is 315x6, while my back squat max is 550ish.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    I have tried several times to do front squats but have never really made much progress. For me it is all about shoulder and wrist flexibility. When i learned how to do power cleans I got better at this grip but I'm still not confident about squatting with it.

When I used to row, our coach helped me a lot with the cleans when we were strength training and I got fairly good but we did little for FS; so I'd say although the two movements will help each other (very similiar grip) they will not directly carry over.

I don't want to give too much advice as I myself have never fully mastered this lift but I know from trying that the important thing is to rest the bar on your upper pecs/anterior deltoids and not your wrists - otherwise it will be insanely uncomfortable and you'll never be able to lift much. As other guys said:

elbows straight out and slightly up
    wrists as flat (and in-line with arms) as possible
    head up
    improve flexibility (my bane with this movement!)

Thanks guys, some usefull advice, think I will try the clean grip and see how it feels next week.

My delts are still bruised today (Sunday) after thursdays workout but trained shoulders today and got more than last week so no ill effects on the shoulders at least.

You will get used to it, and the bruising will greatly lessen over time. I like front squats alot. Differently stressed muscles are always a plus, so is just having another squat exercise!
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Country Boy
    Front Squats are my squat of choice.
    I use a 5 foot Olympic bar instead of 7.
    It is of course easier to balance, an I
    accumulated more poundage faster.

I have no bar or no rack, so i rest dumbells on my shoulders and that is how I do squats. I didn't even know what a front squat was until I read this thread. Good deal, I was very concerned that I couldn't lift nearly the percent of weight on my squats as others could do theirs. Glad to know they are different. Also, these 'front' squats I've been doing HAVE made my ass bigger. But that's a good thing, I think it looks cool.
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

how much can you squat with db's on your shoulders?

Wannabebig Member
    A towel draped over the bar can protect your shoulders from too much bruising. No, using a towel doesn't make you a pussy.
    "It's all about the diet. If you eat like crap, expect to look that way."

how much? well herien lies the rub... my last heavy set is 6 reps of 31.5 lbs on each shoulder. I feel I can squat heavier, yet I can't lift any heavier weight up to my shoulders lol so that is that. Keep in mind I'm a 120 lb weakling, but hey I started out at 90 so good deal.
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

you need to get to a gym

why?
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

Quote Originally Posted by javyn
    why?

because you have limited access to equipment and you could make better results if you got to do more things by either joining the gym or buying some equipment. if you cant, you cant, but if you can afford it, its worth the money to buy a rack+oly set+ bench or get a gym membership.

thanks. i really have everything i need except for a rack though. unfortunately that looks to be the most expensive
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

schmitty199
    front squats are great to improve balance while really working the quads. if you hold the bar on your shouldars your shouldars will get big like traps do on back squats. anyone who plays a sport especially football needs to do these. and if you dont play a sport they will help you on back squats because you will have improved balance
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys