The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bench Shirts???

Gym Rat

Bench Shirts???

Can someone give me their opinion on a specific brand of Bench Shirt?

I currently Bench (WABDL) and use a Titan Fury. Within two (16-week cycles), I used the shirt maybe 3-4 times and the seam busted open.

I sent the shirt back for repair...but I may go with another brand.

thanks all,

Bryan

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Is the titan fury a single ply? I'm looking to buy one as well...

Sorry to sorta jack ur thread bro but I gotta ask anyone here got some good links or suggestions for a single ply bench shirt?

I'm only experienced w. Inzer brand bench shirts - I've never tried Titan or Crain, but a lot of people swear by them.

If you're experienced w. bench press shirts, I would go with the Inzer EHPHD, Inzer Phenom, Inzer Rage, or Inzer Rage X. I am currently trying to figure out a Rage X and it's about as advanced a shirt as a single-ply can be...

If you're new to shirts (and you want to go Inzer), I would go with the Inzer Heavy Duty Blast Shirt. It's reasonably priced and it should actually do something for you. DON'T get the basic Inzer Blast shirt - all it does is chop up your pits and give you ZERO pounds to your bench (I'm not kidding).

I have a lot of links to powerlifting apparel here:
    http://johnnymnemonic.proboards44.co...ead=1117997775

Gym Rat
    yeah the Titan Fury is a Single-ply. No worries about jacking the thread.

The Titan Fury is pretty comfortable...I think mine blew out b/c it was too tight. I bought a sixe 36 (weight 145 lbs.) then I gained about 5-6 lbs.

When I used a size 38 (my WABDL Bench was 286.5 then 303.0 lbs) then with a size 36 (in gym bench was 365 -- ugly).

I am about 5ft 7 and about 145-150 lbs.

I would think that the shirt that busted a seam was defective. "Too tight" as far as bench shirts goes, means you can't get it on with 3-4 others helping you.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I'll vouch for the Rage-X. That's what I'm using at the moment.

It's a tricky shirt, but damn thing of it is....I hadn't ever used a shirt before, and on top of that I'd been away from barbell benching for 5-6 months. I hopped in the shirt first day and set a PR. Sessions after that improved, obviously, as I learned the shirt and technique.

But yeah, I'd recommend it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I'll definitelly look into to these bench shirts, mass420, we're similar weigth so whats your opinion on the bench shirt for guys our size so far. How much has it helped your RAW bench?

bench shirts do nothing to help your raw bench man...
    and the thing with titans is that while they are cheap they generally dont last as long as others. i like mine, but after maybe 5 sessions it started feeling a lot looser and i wasnt getting the same gains as at first. that is the general experience of most titan users that ive ever talked to.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

i have no idea what are bench shirts/ raw bench, can someone clearify?

If you don't compete or have plans to compete in powerlifting, there is no need to know or have a bench shirt.

But it's just a very tight shirt made of polymer, denim, or some other quite rigid material that creates a lot of tension the further the bar travels towards your body, which gives you a lot of support and assistance in the bottom to mid portion of the ROM.

Different materials are legal for different federations.

But as I said, if you have no interest in powerlifting, bench shirts aren't something you need concern yourself with.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    bench shirts do nothing to help your raw bench man...
    and the thing with titans is that while they are cheap they generally dont last as long as others. i like mine, but after maybe 5 sessions it started feeling a lot looser and i wasnt getting the same gains as at first. that is the general experience of most titan users that ive ever talked to.

I meant it as "how much has it improved your bench over your raw bench", i know some people use shirts and put up 30-40 lbs more than there raw others have better results.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 07-27-2005 at 01:29 PM.

It is entirely dependent on the individual, the fit of the shirt, and the material of the shirt.

If your lockout sucks ass a bench shirt will help very little.

Current FFFA Enforcer

True, I havnt started using a shirt yet but my lockout is pretty solid. Could always use work though, what are other good lock out exercises other than pin presses?

Board presses, floor press, or just generally strengthening your tris.

I'm sure there is a better list of exercises on elitefts.com.

Current FFFA Enforcer

chains, bands, board press, pin press, floor press, towel bench, heavy tricep work

Thanks guys, I've been doing lots of tricep work and now that I have my boards i'll definitelly be doing more board presses.

Banned
    So how do I know what size bench shirt to get?

Tape measure around your shoulder girdle. Most internet retailers will have a chart you can use to determine what size shirt you need based on your shoulder measurements - the Inzer sizings have been pretty accurate for me.

I see very few titan shirts tear. I have seen a bunch of Rage x `s tear. I hear lots of people say to wet the seams.

On titan shirts you measure around your chest relaxed that is the size shirt you want for a comp fit if you want a meet fit go up a size.
    Last edited by Darracq; 07-31-2005 at 10:38 AM.

I've used a Titan F6 single-ply and it's been great. It's hard to figure out the groove at first but when I did I got a good 100 lbs out of it over my RAW bench. Never heard of any problems with them tearing or anything. Oh, and any shirt will get looser after a while, just some sooner than others. and it also depends on how tight it is on you.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I was just looking at the Titan F6 and you can buy them in regular, meet, and competition fittings. Should I not train in a competition fitted shirt, meaning should I get two. A Meet shirt too train it and a competition shirt to compete in?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    I was just looking at the Titan F6 and you can buy them in regular, meet, and competition fittings. Should I not train in a competition fitted shirt, meaning should I get two. A Meet shirt too train it and a competition shirt to compete in?
    Unless you have unlimited funds, I would just start by buying the shirt in the size/fit that you plan to compete in. Buy a second if you decide you like the shirt and the fit and use one for training and one for only competitions.

A tight shirt and a loose shirt can be like night and day. Don't practice in a loose shirt and then go to a competition with a tight shirt - you're just asking for trouble and you may end up dumping the bar on your face!!

Good call man thanks.

A comp fit is going to be very tight and you will think how in the hell does this thing work lol. My first shirt was a meet fit and it worked very well and it was probably a good thing to start out with it. Just keep elbows in and touch low ribs