The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Time to stay focused: MriswitH's Journal!

First and foremost!

Hello and welcome to those who drop by! Feedback (and constructive criticism) is always welcome and always appreciated! After all, we all start off as newbies at some point.

Where to begin?

A little about me:

My name is Ryan, i'm 23 and live in a town just east of Traverse City, Michigan. I work for an internet service provider doing tech support, wireless internet installations, web design and accounts receivable. (See: Everything) In January 2003, for my New Years Resolution, I decided that it was time for a change. I was tipping the scales at 350 and at just 21, it was a much needed change for probably my survival. Between January '03 and January '04 I went from 350 to 260, lost my gall bladder (didn't realize rapid weight loss would do that; hmm, weird) and learned a lot about myself.

Between January '04 and '05 I went from 260 to 240. I started the year off half-way decent and dropped down to 230 by February; sadly I regained weight and clocked back in at 237 by mid-May. I kicked back into diet mode and as of today (8/1/05, my birthday!) i'm sitting at 222.

Today, for my 23rd birthday, my roommate and I met up with one of our other good friends and started routines at a local gym to hopefully keep us on the right track. I've been following WBB for roughly a year now and I keep learning stuff every time I visit the board. After being motivated by countless stories on the board, I would like to try and make it a point to keep this journal updated so that I can accurately track my progress and continue to keep myself motivated to live a healthier lifestyle!

-Ryan

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck man, 1 year on the routine is quite a while. How tall are you?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    August 1, 2005

Food
    Started the morning off with a multivitamin and 600mg green tea extract. An hour after Meal 2, I started cycling my ECA stack again today. I did one dose today, 25e/200c/300a, I believe.
    Meal 1, 8:00am: 1 scoop whey, 1/2 cup Grape Nuts, 1 cup skim milk.
    Meal 2, 10:30am: 2 pieces string cheese.
    Meal 3, 12:45pm: 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/2 cup cheese. 1 serving natty pp and a serving of organic tortilla chips.
    Meal 4, 6pm: Apple that tasted like poo, and hour before workout.
    Meal 5, 8:30pm: (PWO) 2 scoops whey. 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/2 cup cheese. Serving of organic tortilla chips.
    Misc: Drank 98oz water today.

Gah. Something like 1600 calories, 178p.

Workout
    Went to the gym, as noted above, and started WBB Routine #1. In no particular order:

Flat Dumbell Flys: 30x6, 30x6
    Low Incline Dumbell Press: 20x8, 20x8
    Bench Press: 150x4

Bent Over Roms: 95x6, 95x6
    Deadlifts: 150x8, 150x8
    Barbell Rows: 30x8, 30x8
    Dumbell Shrugs: 45x10

10-minutes on the bike.
    Last edited by MriswitH; 08-05-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Paul - i'm 5'9".

I haven't been on the WBB #1 for a year. I just started it today actually; but i've had an ongoing, rollercoaster diet going on since January '03. Today was the first formal day of weight training i've ever had.

I should note, that once I pull the pictures off of my digital camera that I'll throw them up here so that I have something as a starting comparison.

Dude, amazing story. I look forward to reading about your progress here and seeing even more accomplishments. Good luck.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Good Luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Hello and thanks to everyone that stopped by so far!

August 2, 2005

Food:
    Multivitamin and 600mg green tea extract before breakfast. One dose of ECA an hour before my snack/Meal 4.

Meal 1: 1 scoop whey, 1/2 cup Grape Nuts, 1 cup skim milk.
    Meal 2: 2 pieces string cheese.
    Meal 3: 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/2 cup cheese. 1 serving natty pb, 1-1/2 servings of organic tortilla chips and salad.
    Meal 4: Couple pieces of string cheese.
    Meal 5: (PWO) 2 scoops whey with 1 cup skim milk. 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/2 cup cheese. 1/2 Serving of organic tortilla chips.
    Misc: Drank 160oz water today along with a Diet Sweetened Lemon Ice Tea.
    Calories: Around 2k. 185p/?c/?f <-I really need to keep better track of the last two.

Workout
    Every week I get together to play basketball with the guys from work. We did a 3 on 3 tonight and I played between 2 and 2-1/2 hours. Actually did pretty good tonight; maybe too good as my big toe got torn asunder. I got this (<sarcasm>) pretty sweet blister (</sarcasm>) that got torn off on my left big toe and another one that’s still intact on the inside of my right foot. Hell, I even got jacked in the mouth by one of the new guys. Should make tomorrow’s leg day very interesting to say the least.

use www.fitday.com to help you keep track of your caloric breakdown. It'll calculate p/c/f ratios automatically.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Wannabebig Member
    August 3, 2005

Food
    Multivitamin and 600mg green tea extract before breakfast. One dose of ECA an hour before my snack/Meal 4.

Meal 2: 2 pieces string cheese.
    Meal 3: 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1 serving of cheese. 1 serving natty pb, handful of croutons.
    Meal 4: Couple pieces of string cheese.
    Meal 5: (PWO) 2 scoops whey with 1 cup skim milk. 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, serving of cheese cheese.
    Misc: Drank 96oz water today along with a Diet Sweetened Lemon Ice Tea.

Calories were around 1700 today, around 170p.

Workout: Leg Day

SLDL: 115x6, 185x6
    Squat: 115x6, 185x6
    Hack Squat: 115x8, 185x4
    Leg Curls: 80x8, 90x8
    Calf Raises: 185x10

15-minutes on the bike.
    Last edited by MriswitH; 08-05-2005 at 07:41 PM.

hello and welcome to the boards ryan. great to hear you decided to turn around your habits, how did you go from 350 to 260 so fast? was it a not so healthy way?
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Wannabebig Member
    capn crunch: Most of the weight I dropped in the first year was done within the first 6-8 months mainly doing low calorie dieting. I was eating roughly 1k-1200 calories a day. It was a terrible way to diet down, I now realize that. If I had the chance to do it over again I know what i'd do different now.

August 4, 2005

Today was a terrible day for dieting. My aunt passed away on Saturday morning so I agreed to be a pall bearer for her funeral today. Death isn't easy for anyone to deal with quite obviously and it seems to bother me more so than many other people I know; so it was pretty rough to say the least. I did relatively well as far as calories are concerned, but I ate a few pieces of garbage. As long as I stay focused the rest of the week I should be fine.

Food

Multivitamin and 600mg green tea extract before breakfast. One dose of ECA an hour before my snack/Meal 5.

Meal 2: 2 pieces swiss cheese.
    Meal 3: 3" italian sub, side salad, dill pickle spear, lemon bar.
    Meal 4: Couple pieces of string cheese, small brownie.
    Meal 5: (2) grilled chicken breasts, 1-1/2 cup rice, 1 cup green beans with onion and ham bits and (2) small pieces of banana nut bread. Half hour later I had (2) scoops of whey mixed with 1 cup skim milk.

Misc: Drank ~96oz water/fluids today.

Workout

After the funeral I went in to work to finish up a couple of things and they needed my help moving some equipment out of an existing office into a new office for a service changeover. So I had to help run up and down a few flights of stairs with misc. servers, server racks and misc. equipment hurriedly so that we could make a semi-seamless changeover.
    Last edited by MriswitH; 08-05-2005 at 07:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    August 5, 2005

Food

Multivitamin and 600mg green tea extract before breakfast. One dose of ECA two hours before Meal 4.

Meal 2: 2 pieces of string cheese.
    Meal 3: 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup cheese, 1 serving natty pb, salad with cheese, croutons, light dressing.
    Meal 4: 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup cheese, (2) scoops whey with 1 cup skim milk.

Misc: Drank ~90oz water/fluids today.

Workout: Shoulders

Today's workout was rough. Still a little stiff from earlier in the week seeing as i'm just starting out and yesterday's moving fiasco didn't help.

Military Press: 65x6, 65x6
    Seated Dumbbell Press: 20x8, 25x6
    Standing Lateral Raises: 25x8, 25x6
    Narrow Grip Bench Press: 65x6, 75x4
    Barbell Curls: 40x8, 60x6
    Hammer Curls: 20x8, 25x6
    Lever Pushdowns: 30x10

15-minutes on bike.

hey ryan- i live in vegas but from mio mi..i have done some bb shows in your town. good luck with your progress

YBW

ryan..I think your calories are too low. You might want to find a maintenance calories calculator online, and reassess. You may stall soon, and at the very least will be losing muscle along with the fat.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    YoBrickWall: Hey bro! Small world isn't it! Thanks for the encouragement.

mrelwooddowd: Thanks for the heads up on the calories. I've had a hard time eating what I am right now. It seems so flawed that I eat so much but keep losing weight; but hell, as long as it works, i'll keep doing it. This week i'm going to try and pickup a few hundred extra calories per day to see if that helps me so as not to canabalize muscle.

August 8, 2005

Food

Multivitamin and 600mg green tea extract before breakfast. One dose of ECA with meal 2 and one dose of ECA an hour before workout.

Meal 2: 2 servings of unsalted peanuts.
    Meal 3: SUCKED. Spur of the moment I had to leave the office with no chance of going home to fix lunch, etc. Instead of eating nothing, which probably would have been worse, we stopped at McDonalds. Had a grilled chicken sandwich with no condiments and their fruit salad.
    Meal 4: Small package of walnuts.
    Meal 5: 2-pieces sliced turkey breast on whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup cheese, (2) scoops whey with 1 cup skim milk, 1 serving of natty pb.

Misc: Liquids kinda sucked today. Probably only had 80oz of liquids all together.

Calories: 2300, 200p, 140c

Workout

Back is a little sore. Having the same type of soreness from mid-week last week. Not sure if its from lifting or over exertion from basketball last week. Other than that things went quite well. I feel like Will Ferrell from Anchorman: "I can barely lift my arms because I did so many!"

Dumbbell Flys: 20x8, 20x6
    Machine Incline Press: 60x8, 40x8, 30x6
    Bench Press: 90x6, 90x8, 100x6

Bent Over Rows: 20x8, 25x8
    Deadlifts: 135x8, 205x6 (Hells yeah!)
    Barbell Rows: 115x8, 115x6
    Dumbell Shrugs: 35x10, 45x10

15-minutes on the bike.
    Last edited by MriswitH; 08-08-2005 at 08:09 PM.