The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

so someone tells you your form is wrong..

what do you do?

i was doing machine back extensions at my gym since they don't have anything else to do back extensions with. this old dude who does a lot of cardio and swings DBs around stares at me as he walks past, stops and stares. i get distracted and annoyed so i go "ya?".

he says my feet should be on the higher bar and my behind should be touching the bar behind.. the PT told him to do that. i smile and say "ok thanks" and get ready to do somemore in the same position.

but he repeats himself saying it's the PT who told him to do them that way and it worked - he felt a strain in his back. i say i like doing them with my feet on the lower bar. he gives up and walks away.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've only ever said anything about form to this dude who was DLing with the most bend in his back Ive ever seen. It looked like he was compressing and slipping more discs with every rep

I'd ignore that other dude though
    Last edited by twm; 07-31-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Don't you know all PT's are RIGHT?!?!?!? That getting certified by any "organization" means they know more than you??!?!!! Geez, the nerve of some ppl.....
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I'm going to get certified too, just so I can throw it back to them. "I'm a PT as well and I say that this is the proper form. How can we both be right?" Then, after given a few minutes to think it over, his head will explode all over the hip adductor machine.

It depends the source. I work out at a top gym with some very knowledgable people, I'd take it as a compliment if they corrected my dead, bench, or squat form.

I never offer advice, most people blow it off, or get pissed off.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

If they're right, I thank them.

If they're wrong, I either inform them of this, or look down at myself, then look them up and down, smile bemusedly, and continue with my business.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig New Member
    Say "oh you mean that skinny little weasel over there that looks like he spent 6 years in a concentration camp and has a tapeworm ?"
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    If they're wrong, I either inform them of this, or look down at myself, then look them up and down, smile bemusedly, and continue with my business.
    If I did that, it would prove nothing.

Just tell them you're doing it that way on purpose, so you can get FMLA time from work!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by galileo

Lol, you crack me up.

I would have just ignored him and not even let him bait me into responding at all. He was prolly just feeling empowered by some new information he just received and felt the need to feel important and useful. It is something everyone does now and then. Ignorance is a human flaw after all.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

He was trying to check out your ass, then you busted him so he had to come up with a quick cover story.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    hah

Well usually I give them a big mental middle finger... and then just outright ignore them.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    He was trying to check out your ass, then you busted him so he had to come up with a quick cover story.
    That was probably it.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I only correct people when what they're doing seems extremely dangerous, IE something that might cause an immediate serious injury or even death.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Grasshoppa
    Only time I ever corrected someone was during a weird spotting session I saw. Guy basically helped with the weight the whole set. I didn't understand the point of it, so I asked the guy why he was helping him the whole time. He answered, "because otherwise he wouldn't be able to do that many reps." I laughed and walked away.

Ok, so I didn't correct the guy.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

He answered, "because otherwise he wouldn't be able to do that many reps." I laughed and walked away.
    *cough* Use less weight then, moron. *cough*

Yeah, that's pretty bad. That's almost identical to the incident I saw at a gym maybe 2 years ago. These teenagers came in acting like they were all hardcore, yet their build was like a 3 year old girl's. Anyway, I watched them lift and this guy's friend was basically lifting 90% of the weight the entire time lifting. Then they switched and his friend basically did the same thing. I guess maybe they thought this was a unique way to do upright rows on the bench?

They COULD have been performing negative reps... which is just about the highest intensity lifting youll ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    They COULD have been performing negative reps... which is just about the highest intensity lifting youll ever see.
    They weren't doing negative reps. It was obvious.

galileo, ooh i'd like to tell them i'm a PT too and see the deer caught in the headlights expression.

he's really old.... yuk.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Yah, I can't tell the difference between that and negative reps...
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I say no thanx, I got it.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Last week some guy told me I had a really bad arch while I was benching and that I was going to hurt my back doing that. I politely explained the purpose of arching the back for benching and he told me he'd seen a lot of people get hurt while benching (probably from listening to him) and he just wanted to warn me.

I thanked him and said I hoped he wasn't there for my squat workout.
    Last edited by drew; 08-01-2005 at 09:51 AM.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    I just say "OK, thanks" to end the convo immediately.

I just say "OK, thanks" to end the convo immediately.
    and if they hang around nagging at you? :P