Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Girl's Recomposition Composition

A Girl's Recomposition Composition

I originally started working out in January with my boyfriend. We were living together (still are) and he had just finished up a semester. I've always been interested in healthy living, eating fairly well, and trying to be active, so I thought I would actively try to be active. Wooh!

So, here it is 6 months later, and I have very little to show for my effort. Or maybe I do but since I didn't track it, I haven't noticed. I was 5'2 and 120 lbs then, and I'm the same weight and same height now. *sigh* I WAS down to 116 lbs last month, but having never taken off days, I decided to take an off week. And my weight went up to where it is now. Blah.

So, here's what I started lifting, with a day rest between days (all in lbs, for 6 reps):

Lift - Day 1 - Day 11
    Bench Press - 25 - 40
    Bicep Curl - 15 - 20
    Shoulder - 15 - 25
    Shrugs - 60 - 95
    Leg Extension - 40 - 85
    Leg Curl - 20 - 35

And then we moved, and adopted a split:

Monday - Week 1 - Week 7 - Currently
    Bench Press - 30 - 40 - 32.5
    Close Grip - 30 - 32.5 - 27.5
    Tricep Extension - 10DB - 10DB - N/A
    Incline Bench - 25 - 30 - 27.5

Wednesday
    Leg Curls - 25 - 27.5 - 25
    Squats - 20 - 55 - 80
    Leg Extensions - 60 - 70 - 85
    Lunges - 20 - 37.5 - 60
    Calf Raises - 65 - 80 - 70

Friday
    Shoulder Press - 20 - 22.5 - 22.5
    Deadlift - 50 - 70 - 85
    Bicep Curls - 17.5 - 17.5 - 15
    Rows - 25 - 27.5 - 25
    Shrugs - 90 - 90 - 95

Then I got bored and started doing random exercises on alternating days, and I just finished that up and am now doing WBB1.

So, to sum up we see that, after 6 months of working out, most of my lifts are LOWER than 3 weeks after I first started working out. Ugh.

So, to blame I have my diet, mostly. I eat very little protein (60g). Lately I have been strugging ot eat 0.8 x bodyweight in protein, and this is a challenge. I have to eat eggs, a can of tuna, lentils, cottage cheese, milk, and kippers. I actually like it all except cottage cheese, but my caloric intake is so low (1400) that I can't really eat much with the stuff to make it taste better.

Here's my Fitday

So I also have issues with my resting heart rate. I've taken it a couple times lately and it hovers around 80. But today I checked it and it's an uber-low 68!! Somehow I think it's my body's way of telling me thanks for having an off day. I've been running and lifting alternating day for 2 weeks now with no break, so maybe this has something to do with it.

Enough for today. :P:P
    Last edited by Jennikins; 07-13-2005 at 03:59 PM.
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: ~120 lbs

My Fitday
    My Journal

you may want to do your squats first on your leg day!

no need to over due things rest is very important as is diet and lifting!

try to get your protein up it's important
    Last edited by getfit; 07-13-2005 at 03:46 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Welcome to thea board, eat right and lift heavy. Your results will show quickly.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Hey there!

Way to go in getting started here!

I'm going to make a small suggestion to your routine: try for 8 reps instead of 6. When I train, I usually try to do sets of 8 until I increment, then I drop back to 6 and work my way back up. I've read elsewhere that women have slightly lower CNS development, and may respond to SLIGHTLY higher rep-strategies than men. As in all things, YMMV.

Got a few questions for you:

Do you feel satisfied, or hungry with the calories you are eating?

What time of day do you feel the hungriest?

Have you tried eating cottage cheese WITH something? I eat mine with a chunk of chopped up apple and some walnuts, or a handful of thawed frozen blueberries. My husband likes his on noodles - multigrain spaghetti with a scoop of lf cottage cheese tossed in would be a great pre and or post workout meal.

What are your feelings about steak?

What time of day do you train?

Are you doing any cardio right now? If so, what kind, and when?

Great to see you have started a journal.
    Let me be the first to offer you some !!

Built, YMMV? What does that mean? Your Mileage May Vary?

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I'm going to make a small suggestion to your routine: try for 8 reps instead of 6. When I train, I usually try to do sets of 8 until I increment, then I drop back to 6 and work my way back up. I've read elsewhere that women have slightly lower CNS development, and may respond to SLIGHTLY higher rep-strategies than men. As in all things, YMMV.
    Hey!
    Right now I'm doing 8 reps followed by slightly higher weights for 6 reps, but I'll try doing the same weight for 8 until it's too easy.

Do you feel satisfied, or hungry with the calories you are eating? What time of day do you feel the hungriest?
    I'm actually pretty satisfied with the amount of calories, but I think where I'm not used to eating so much protein, I feel like I'm missing out on what I used to eat. I like to bake and cook, but I can't really eat it anymore because of the limitations. If I do get hungry, it's in the night. A few hours before bed.

Have you tried eating cottage cheese WITH something?
    Tried mixing it was banana and pineapple mushed up.. not so great. But I copied a bunch of suggestions from the recipe forum, and I'll try those and yours too.

What are your feelings about steak?
    Steak is pretty decent.

What time of day do you train?
    Our workouts are set for 7 PM now, but I might be changing it. (I just found out I have restless legs syndrome, and they say late activity aggravates it.)

Are you doing any cardio right now? If so, what kind, and when?
    Cardio right now is running/walking, every non-lifting day when the dya cools down. I'm following Couch to 5K Running Program. Just starting week 2. :P

My Fitday
    My Journal

Cool - good.

Try eating some cottage cheese just before bedtime if you get hungry then - that's what I do, with chopped apple and natty PB usually. Helps get in the protein. Just budget the calories in.

Eat steak. It's good for you - protein, iron, creatine, and saturated animal fat (good for endocrine function - particularly test, at least in men).

Cool - good.

Try eating some cottage cheese just before bedtime if you get hungry then - that's what I do, with chopped apple and natty PB usually. Helps get in the protein. Just budget the calories in.

Eat steak. It's good for you - protein, iron, creatine, and saturated animal fat (good for endocrine function - particularly test, at least in men).
    Thanks for all the advice. Tomorrow is grocery day; I'll see about getting red meat and hence more variety.. and I'm outta fruit so need to restock on that too. Mmmm.

My Fitday
    My Journal

So, today I'm back at it. Today is also cheat day, but I haven't been too bad. I had a chicken fillet sandwich, and as far as I can tell I'm only going to overshoot my calories by about 200 today. Of course that's assuming that I stay good. :P Everything else was pretty normal. I'm going to finish up my day trying protein pancakes from a post by Built. They seem like they'll be pretty decent. We also got groceries today, and I got some broccoli, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, yogurt. Mmmm.

Chris (defcon) and I started our second - and harder - week of running today. I kind of cheated a bit and ended my runs a bit early. I think I'm still doing pretty good, all things considered.

I also had a busy day out of town. I had to speak to the head of the biology department to figure out my program, then I went for a physical. Yay! So my doctor says I'm all good.. except I might be a little bit of the anemic side. Surprise surprise. I have to get bloodwork done to check it all out. I tried to give blood on tuesday, but they turned me away because my iron was too low.

I've been having chest pains too, but she says it's muscle pain and I'll work through it. Thank god. I'm too young for heart attacks. (Darn teenage-I'm-invincible thinking.)

So I read the skickys in the nutrition and diet forum today. Very informative "what a bb eats" thread. Now I have some texts to edit, some new food to consider adding to my diet and grocery list. Maybe I'll even try and make some of my own recipes!

My Fitday
    My Journal

Scotsburn cottage cheese? Nova Scotia?

Welcome to the boards! Good luck with your training and will be interested to see your progress over time.

So I had my protein pancakes yesterday, and I have to say they were very good! However, next time I'm going to leave out the sweetener. (I used cyclamate-based stuff.. icky) And I'm having cottage cheese mixed in with my egg this morning, and I can't even taste it! Yay! Can't wait to see the other fun mixtures I can come up with/find.

Quote Originally Posted by Neck
    Scotsburn cottage cheese? Nova Scotia?
    Made in Nova Scotia and shipped to Newfoundland, where I reside.

My Fitday
    My Journal

welcome to journal land jennikins good on ya for working on changing your diet!

My workout is 1 hour away, and as I've been reading "The Workout Window - Pre, During, and Post-Workout Nutrition," I'm now wondering what I should be eating right now. "Some oatmeal and eggs," says the boyfriend. "Egg whites," he corrects himself.

I've already eaten half a bagel, half a banana, an egg, a cheese slice, and a quarter cup of cottage cheese. This was 2 hours ago, for breakfast. (417 cals/13 fat/52 carb/23 pro) I feel if I eat anything significant, I'm not going to have a whole lot of calories left over for the rest of my meals. My heart is set on the other half of the banana. :P

I think I just night have the oatmeal, egg whites, and the banana. We'll see. I don't know if this is a good pre-workout meal, but it seems pretty decent for me. Maybe I'll have a smaller breakfast from now on. Trail and error... trial and error.

To the frying pan!

My Fitday
    My Journal

yep oats and egg whites sounds good!

things are looking that they're getting on track
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Just finished today's workout, the third day of WBB1. Today had introduced me to some never-before-done lifts. Let's review:

Shoulder Press - 20x8, 20x8
    Okay, I do this one all the time and have always done it. Hmm.. okay I say 20 lbs, but that's not including the bar. I really don't know the convention used here. To include, or not to include. I know there are different bar weights (mine is 15 lbs.. those extra 15 would make that 20 look a bit better. :P)

Seated DB Press - 7.5x8, 7.5x8
    This is a new lift, and it felt pretty good. Kinda shaky though, so I'll stay at this weight until they're more comfy.

Standing Lat Raises - 5x8, 5x10
    New exercise. I feel like a gull while I'm doing this one. Also feels good, gonna stay at the weight for a li'l while.

Close Grip BP - 25x10, 27.5x8.. +bar??
    Nothing new here. Maintained regular lift weights. Not going down yet!

French Press - 5x8, 7.5x10
    New lift. Chris tells me these are also called skull crushers. Eeks. These are really wobbly, gonna stay light for these for a while.

DB Bicep Curls - 12.5x8, 12.5x8
    I have never done bicep curls on db before, always bb. These felt decent, about the same as the bb weight I did.

Hammer Curls - 12.5x7
    These were new, and pretty draining after doing bicep curls. I had to take a break half through. Maybe never waited long enough. *phew*

Static Hold - 90x44 seconds
    Doing these to increase my ability to hold the bar during shrugs. Other benefits to follow I'm sure.

And now it's soon supper time. I'm having ww pasta and some tuna. Maybe some cheese (other people are having macaroni and cheese.. sparked some ideas in my head).

My Fitday
    My Journal

It's good you've been reading up on stuff. The more you learn the better your results will be. Great start to a journal!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Looking good. You'll be lifting more then me in no time

Just finished my run for today.. followed by a shower. Today was a pretty draining day. Chris and I went for a 1 hr hike.. over lots of hills. Fun fun! It was nice though, not too hot. The we had to come home and go running! Couldn't wait to get out of those sweaty clothes!

Run today was still not where I'd like it to be. I stopped earlier than I was "supposed to", so I'll stick with it until I'm comfortable, then move on to something a little bit harder.

My triceps hurt today.. that's a good thing. At least I know I'm not risking crushing my skull for nothing. :P

Eating is still going pretty well. Eaten today:
    Half Bagel w/ 2 fried eggs and Cheese Slice
    Fresh pineapple
    slice of toast w/ margarine
    apple during hike
    WW macaroni w/ cheese and tuna
    broccoli

Still to come:
    Skim Milk
    Kippers
    (Total: 1410cals 59fat 129carb 96pro)

So I have my 0.8x weight in protein, and that's what I've been aiming for. Any more than that right now and I don't think I'd have the will to do it.

My Fitday
    My Journal

Your calories seem a little low, how do you feel on this?
    We guessed that this should be a good amount to start off with. I'm not starved by any means, and so far I haven't lost any weight. We're seeing how it goes, and adjusting if necessary. So far so good.

My Fitday
    My Journal

Okay, cool.

You're smaller than I am, and this might be perfectly reasonable.

I'm so used to the "bulking boys" on this forum all trying to cram down 6000 cals a day that I always have to recalibrate my perspective for newbie female lifters.

Okay, cool.

You're smaller than I am, and this might be perfectly reasonable.

I'm so used to the "bulking boys" on this forum all trying to cram down 6000 cals a day that I always have to recalibrate my perspective for newbie female lifters.

Yeah, I'm small, new, and cutting. That'll do it.

Today is off day. *sigh* So nice, yet I still feel like I should be doing something. I have been reading threads since I got up this morning, so getting more information will be my goal today. Today will not be wasted.

I've been reading nutrition and diet mostly, since I think that's where my biggest problem is. Read some stuff on low-GI and high-GI carbs, and looked for some information about what I should be eating and when. Low-GI carbs are to be eaten most often, and high-GI carbs after workout, although I've also read that that's not completely necessary.

I've been contemplating getting a multivitamin too, but I'm going to try and get what I need from food first. Fitday tells me that I'm not meeting any of my requirements except for thiamin. Now, this could be only because I left out some stuff when I made custom foods. I'll have to remedy this.

My Fitday
    My Journal

I actually don't pay that much attention to GI. It's a rather outdated concept.

I actually LIKE foods like yams, brown rice, multigrain pasta, oats ... so those are the carbs I eat when I eat 'em, but I only eat starchy carbs in the meal before and the meal right after I lift. I don't bother "spiking" my insulin post workout because I don't need to - I've already consumed slower carbs about an hour before I started working out, so I have the carbs trickling into me already by the time I start training.

The rest of my meals on all days are centred around protein and fat, often with green vegetables.

I find that by keeping my fats somewhat higher than most people typically think of for cutting, I feel more satisfied, and this makes it easier to diet.

Higher fats are also beneficial for stabilizing blood sugar (and hence, insulin), and help support proper endocrine function.

Since you don't actually NEED carbs at other times, I don't eat them at other times. Too hard to control my appetite.

You'll find the mix that works for you.

Greetings and salutations. Always good to see another female voice around here. I look forward to seeing your progress! Welcome!
    Lynn

"When life gives you lemons, just say 'no thanks'." - Henry Rollins