The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    I take it you are fairly knowledgeable about western blot's etcx?

  2. #27
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    I highly doubt there is anyone on this website that takes in more whey and milk than I do. So when I start having related health problems the rest of you can worry, until then drink up.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  3. #28
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Threw the process the enzymes which would digest the milk or either taken away or exist in small amounts.
    Um ... what etcx said. I'm lactose-intolerant myself, so I take enzymes anyway when I drink/eat dairy products and I have no problem with digestion.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  4. #29
    Banned Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    321
    Nice response by etcx. Ill assume hes not a vegan LoL.
    Last edited by Owen; 08-03-2005 at 01:45 AM.

  5. #30
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by twm
    waynis, what about the hormone fed chickens that are bred to have the utmost fertility to lay eggs without regard to their enviroment and health?
    thats a completly different topic but could be another concern. But it's just nearly impossible to take every concern out of your diet. The MAN will get you one way or another. We can only do as much as we can and what your willing to pay for. You can shop at whole foods or other organic food markets. It can get very pricey. It's up to you whether you take these health concerns in or not. Plus with the cost of living, gas and everything going up our food is getting worse and worse cause the demand to produce a lot but keep cost down is becoming a huge concern.
    Never Giving In.

  6. #31
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen
    I thought that was a fascinating read, thanks for posting it. What I usually use is Soy milk and whey for my shakes, mainly because milk has always grossed me out abit. Im not a huge fan of cheese either. Whey is so easy though...I guess a PWO shake could be made of Soy Milk and Oats (carbs) with a Bananna (high GI) blended together, and a can of Tuna or a Chicken breast on the side for Protein. That would cover it. I just dont know if there is a way I could get by without whey, Ill have to weigh the info...
    soy is becoming more and more popular because it was once thought to produce estrogen or lower testosterone. But now studies have shown though it may mimic estrogen it does not negatively effect test levels.

    It is rough taking out whey cause it's easy, cheap protein.
    Never Giving In.

  7. #32
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by ectx

    I hope this helps to dispell the myths pointed out in this article. I could go point by point, but really, it's not even worth my time. Waynis, I mean no disrespect to you mang, I just simply want to make sure that you don't get duped by some radical extremist article you found on the web.
    thanks I appreciate the post. I was waiting for someone to really dig into the article. When I read the article I thought it did sound very extreme but interesting none the less. This source is usually pretty reliable on many issues often a step ahead as well. Taking whey out of your diet is rough and even if this article was accurate on all points I don't see many people listening anyway.

    Do you have any opinions on whey causing inflammation in the intestines? I have leaky gut syndrome as well as messed up pancreas. It makes me think..
    Last edited by waynis; 08-03-2005 at 02:29 PM.
    Never Giving In.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Um ... what etcx said. I'm lactose-intolerant myself, so I take enzymes anyway when I drink/eat dairy products and I have no problem with digestion.
    what is the exact enzyme you are taking? I could easily drink a gallon milk, but any more than 6 ounces and I am ****ting my brains out! thanks!

  9. #34
    el imposible ectx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    thanks I appreciate the post. I was waiting for someone to really dig into the article. When I read the article I thought it did sound very extreme but interesting none the less. This source is usually pretty reliable on many issues often a step ahead as well. Taking whey out of your diet is rough and even if this article was accurate on all points I don't see many people listening anyway.

    Do you have any opinions on whey causing inflammation in the intestines? I have leaky gut syndrome as well as messed up pancreas. It makes me think..
    I've never read anything on whey or caseinates causing the problems you describe, but I'll do a pubmed search on it later.
    ecDoesIt

    "You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

    My latest (and only) WBB article.

  10. #35
    el imposible ectx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    what is the exact enzyme you are taking? I could easily drink a gallon milk, but any more than 6 ounces and I am ****ting my brains out! thanks!
    I think the enzyme is usually lactase. It's sold commercially as Lactaid®. When most people react badly to milk it's usually because they are lactose intollerant...they lack the enzymes necessary to metabolize the lactose sugar in the milk. A good alternative is to buy Lactaid Milk. Most grocery stores have it.
    ecDoesIt

    "You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

    My latest (and only) WBB article.

  11. #36
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    When I stopped drinking milk for a few months and then started up again, I developed the digestions problems some of you describe (temporary lactose intolerance). I took lactaid for a while and then started getting over it and now can drink 1.5+ gallons a day with no problems.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  12. #37
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    now can drink 1.5+ gallons a day with no problems.
    1.5 gallons! LOL well.. in a decade or so if you develop any intestinal problems we might know why. haha. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by waynis; 08-03-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    Never Giving In.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    I think the enzyme is usually lactase. It's sold commercially as Lactaid®. When most people react badly to milk it's usually because they are lactose intollerant...they lack the enzymes necessary to metabolize the lactose sugar in the milk. A good alternative is to buy Lactaid Milk. Most grocery stores have it.
    I am not about to go out and pay $4/gallon for Lactaid milk. Milk isn't that important to me. But, Lactaid enzyme might not work for me. My lactose intollerance is actually due to the fact that I have gluten allergies.

  14. #39
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    I read it.
    You notice, the author thought soy was ****ty too.
    I guess if I could live out on a lake with a cow and drink raw milk and eat fish all day, life would be great...
    Except oh wait, the whole world is poisoned with mercury and lead and scotchgard, so I'd get sick and die anyway, so we're all doomed.

    Really, these days everything is bad for you, and everything ****ing gives you cancer. There ain't **** you can do about it.

    Is it five o'clock yet?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  15. #40
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    I am not about to go out and pay $4/gallon for Lactaid milk. Milk isn't that important to me. But, Lactaid enzyme might not work for me. My lactose intollerance is actually due to the fact that I have gluten allergies.
    I'am allergic to gluten and have not problem digesting lactose when I drink for a week. If I stop drinking milk for 2 weeks or so I might have some gas starting up again but nothing big. TOO much milk or milk products gives me phlem.
    Last edited by waynis; 08-05-2005 at 03:01 PM.
    Never Giving In.

  16. #41
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    . There ain't **** you can do about it.
    And probably because everyone has that mentality nothing ever changes. They are starting to slowly ban different supplements world wide and no one seems to get together and complain enough to change anything. We just except.
    Never Giving In.

  17. #42
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    Well, except that at this point, there's not really a way to clean up the mess we made, so it's not that unrealistic, unfortunately.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  18. #43
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Well, except that at this point, there's not really a way to clean up the mess we made, so it's not that unrealistic, unfortunately.
    haha true! but I don't think of it as so unrealistic that supplements will be considered "drugs" in the future and we can no longer take our vitamin C without getting a prescription first. Hopefully everyone isn't just going to sit around and act like it's ok.
    Never Giving In.

  19. #44
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    I'm not saying it's good to be complacent and just bend over so you can get railed in the anus by the powers that be, I'm just saying that we're doomed, so it's not worth worrying about bad **** that you can't do anything about.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  20. #45
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    1.5 gallons! LOL well.. in a decade or so if you develop any intestinal problems we might know why. haha. Keep us posted.

    When bulking I also take in over 250 grams of protein a day from whey products. I would imagine I have bigger things to worry about in my life than intestinal problems caused from the devil that is milk. Dont let one biased article be the core of your understanding on any topic.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  21. #46
    Ex-Manwhore KingWilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,055
    I'm not reading all that, summary plz
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

    Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

    CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

    You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

  22. #47
    BooBoo ChaCha baby! Vitalize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    170
    Oh Please....I think I speak for the majority here....Who honestly gives a flying ****!
    I mean this is a bodybuilding site ffs....not your namby pamby tree huggers unite garbage.
    We're talking about a major source of protien used for years....Well then I guess Arnold, Franco, Ronnie and the others are gonna fall over any second now then...right? ....pffft.
    If you spend all your time worrying about this trash then in theory, there aint much you can eat.
    I'm not attacking you just the craziness of the whole situation.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.
    George Herman "Babe" Ruth
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    There is no shame in going down. The only shame is if you don't get back up.
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

  23. #48
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Sorry for barging in but do you really know how many problems did those guys (Arnold, Franco ...) had because of those products? Or how many surgery operations ?

    You don't know because they are not making it public ... So we'll just have to make assumptions here ... that's all.

  24. #49
    Panic Prone waynis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Hess
    Sorry for barging in but do you really know how many problems did those guys (Arnold, Franco ...) had because of those products? Or how many surgery operations ?

    You don't know because they are not making it public ... So we'll just have to make assumptions here ... that's all.
    EXactly what hess said. You think arnold is healthy? Along with the rest of the top bodybuilders that have been.

    I didn't post the article because I said it was the truth or believed it was the truth. I posted it because the site I posted from is a pretty reputable source and I wanted someone to breakdown what was true and what wasn't. Also for opinion purpose only.READ before you go making such statements. I knew when posting that most people or people like yourselves would say exactly what you did "who gives a flying ***"
    Last edited by waynis; 08-08-2005 at 01:28 PM.
    Never Giving In.

  25. #50
    BooBoo ChaCha baby! Vitalize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Hess
    Sorry for barging in but do you really know how many problems did those guys (Arnold, Franco ...) had because of those products? Or how many surgery operations ?

    You don't know because they are not making it public ... So we'll just have to make assumptions here ... that's all.
    Come again? Did I miss something...."Do you know how many problems they have had?" And then you say "we'll just have to make assumptions?"
    So your saying that you dont know either? Thats confusing.
    Are you a personal doctor to them or have their medical papers?
    Im pretty sure it was the cocktails of riods they were pumping into their system rather than milk that has (supposedly) made them ill.
    Last edited by Vitalize; 08-08-2005 at 06:01 PM.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.
    George Herman "Babe" Ruth
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    There is no shame in going down. The only shame is if you don't get back up.
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •