Thread: ripeness

ripeness

does how ripe a fruit is affect it's nutritional values?

i would think the riper it is the higher the sugar content. although what that sugar is before it tastes sweet i'm not sure.

where do you come up with stuff, man?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I was eating a banana earlier and it got me thinking. (It wasn't ripe enough)

well i think regardless it's gonna be carbohydrates, but perhaps the amount of sugar is what changes....(i'm presuming fructose)

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Tryska's right about the more ripe the fruit, the more sugar content...in general. I'm thinking "sweet" fruits like peaches, bananas, kiwis, etc.

That's interesting what you said about the unripe banana, syntekz. I don't like bananas once they're truly ripe...too mushy/too sweet. I like them when they're still a little green. Different tastes for different folks, I guess...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

3:16
    the more ripe the fruit. the more starch that has converted to sugar.
    Mineral, fibre content will be about the same. some vitmain changes may occur, as a fruit get older some of the water soluble vitamins may be escape and be destroyed by sunlight as well. Thats why fresh-frozen veg kept at of light has better vit C levels than fresh veg in the supermarkets.
    But otherwise not much nutritional difference. though it will depend on climate and humidity as a dry hot day will allow for more water loss than a cold wet one. so this will effect water souble micronutrient losses.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

[random useless Robboe Information]

Did you guys know that you shouldn't keep bananas near other fruit?

It's cause the bananas realse some chemical that causes other fruits to ripen quicker and thus go bad quicker.

that is all.

[/random useless Robboe Information]
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    [random useless Robboe Information]

Did you guys know that you shouldn't keep bananas near other fruit?

It's cause the bananas realse some chemical that causes other fruits to ripen quicker and thus go bad quicker.

that is all.

[/random useless Robboe Information]
    <----me - puts bananas next to under ripe appples.

cheers rob. now i can eat the apples tommorow.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

oh yes, and as the texas rattlesnake rightly pointed out, this can be used to your advantage.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    oh yes, and as the texas rattlesnake rightly pointed out, this can be used to your advantage.
    well thats the bottom line as stone cold said so.

If ya smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell what the Rock is
    c-o-o-k-i-n-g!!!!! The only reason to watch wwf is for the hot hunnies or to watch the Rock do the rock bottom on those foo's.

Oh yea and greener bannanas taste better old brown mushy ones.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

The monkeys are listening Monkeybrains's Avatar
    Yeah, I prefer them when they're slightly green.