Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stupid high school kids at my gym

hammin'

stupid high school kids at my gym

so there's an unusual # of kiddies in the weight room tonight
    two of them in particular had me laughing on the inside

they get there and promptly go to (you guessed it) the bench.
    they immediately slap on a couple of plates and start trying to 'max' to see 'how much [their] strength has gone up'

first kid (has maybe 15 inch arms) tries his hand at a healthy 245, gets help unracking it and SLAM, freefall down on his chest. Back arches, ass comes off bench, partner has to help him rack it. Kid number 2 then does the same thing w/ kid 1 as spotter.

Here's where it gets good....

I hear kid #2 say something like "hell ya I'm gonna max on squats."
    A sly smile comes onto my face..... hell ya this is gonna be good

So the kid grabs the weight belt.... if he knew what knee wraps were I'm sure he'd have had them too.

I'm watching as they load 225 lbs up. Kid #2 gets under and does a few 'reps.' And when I say 'reps' I mean he sticks his knees out a bit... maybe 1/2 a rep. So I think 'well thank god he at least did a warmup set this time.'

Now onto 385 lbs... oh yeah, I forgot to mention he's using the pad around the barbell too w/ it waay too far up near his neck.
    Kid #2 tries to unrack the weight but doesn't clear the hooks. Oops. Shakes the rack.
    Kid #1 help him get re-situated and unrack it properly.
    Kid #2 'squats' down a few inches, heels come off the floor, can't even get it up on a half rep. Partner has to grab him around the armpits and pull him to standing position.

Then kid #1 starts taking off the plates and I notice he's about to take the last of 4 plates off one side without touching the other side. Just as I"m about to yell, he gets the weight off, the bar FLIES up, smacks him in the chin a bit, and the barbell flies onto the floor, weighted side down, and the empty side hits the mirror on the wall and puts a big crack in it.

So they leave without telling anyone and I'm stuck explaining to one of the employees exactly why there's a spiderweb in the mirror next to the rack.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

that is AWESOME...rofl

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Lol

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    LMAO. A good read man, funny stuff.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Sounds like they had a productive day at the gym.

Nice avatar crippler, she wearing braces lol?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Grasshoppa
    Our future leaders at work.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    lol thats funny im only 17 but i notice the kids at the gym that never rele seem to do anything except max out and today for instance a group of 3 kids come in n sits on the bench for about 45 min while each of them max out the funny thing is they were maxing out at 130 lol however 1 kid knew what he was doin n managed to get up 190 and almost cracks his ribs open 3 times in a row trying to get 200 up

I am just turned 18 & I think I have gone through that competitive period with friends & could realistically train without having "how much can you bench" competitions. Even so, I rather work out alone & often get annoyed about working out with someone at a similar age at my gym even if they are a stranger. I often catch them watching every movement I do & they either copy what I do or pointless try & lift more than me immediately after I have done that exercise. I don't let it get to me whether they succeed or not, but I'll admit, I've re-arranged my gym times to purposely avoid a group of three arab kids at my gym who do most of these:

1. Dress like rappers to the gym. I am deadly serious, each wear one of those flat peaked baseball caps & bust out fubu/echo clothing to the gym. Those thick wooly trousers must be comfortable, sure. . . but damn, how sweaty must you get wearing them.

2. Regularly compete with how much weights they can move then examine that body area to see any immediate development.

3. More examining. Usually abdominal work. Seems pretty intense.

4. Harass people. Never viscious stuff, but their scum & smug way of speaking makes them seem they have an inside joke about everything they do. I.e. Asking me about squats, "what body part does that work?", "whats the most you can lift" etc.

5. Careless of others. Changing the TV channels without asking people, I'll stop...

I'm venting. But what I'm getting at is spotty oik like kids are always a laugh but they are annoying. I'm glad I've fallen out of that bracket, now that I'm a man .
    Last edited by HHR; 08-07-2005 at 11:11 PM.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior4lyf
    lol thats funny im only 17 but i notice the kids at the gym that never rele seem to do anything except max out and today for instance a group of 3 kids come in n sits on the bench for about 45 min while each of them max out the funny thing is they were maxing out at 130 lol however 1 kid knew what he was doin n managed to get up 190 and almost cracks his ribs open 3 times in a row trying to get 200 up
    Assuming form was good and they weren't being stupid, I see nothing wrong with maxing at 130. Everyone has their own starting points. Now, if they have no real diet planned out and are trying to gain strength and are holding at 130, then you may have something to make fun of.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    Assuming form was good and they weren't being stupid, I see nothing wrong with maxing at 130. Everyone has their own starting points. Now, if they have no real diet planned out and are trying to gain strength and are holding at 130, then you may have something to make fun of.
    :withstupi My max at age 18 was 140lbs.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Actually, she does have braces in that picture.
    Last edited by Hockey66; 08-08-2005 at 12:09 AM.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

That is funny but im in highschool and I would never do nothing that stupid lol.

can always count on the gym for entertainment

Theres stupid people like that, I've pulled 300lbs+ off a guy who thought he could bench. Funny part was that I was the only other person in the gym.... why was he showing off for me???? This guy looked liked he was 10 years old and I dont know how he even loaded up all the plates... unracked it BOOOM right on his chest and didnt budge an inch.

For some reason people think that lifting makes them badass, and that everyone should watch them workout and be all impressed.

Ahhhhh yes. Stupid people are always good for a laugh.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I love gym stories. I can never get enough of them lol.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Reminds me of how Rock and I used to train when we first started out. Every training session was a competition between us, so we always busted our balls off. It was fun until we realized that we were doing everything wrong

Two young high school kids doing about the same this Saturday. Was in doing a legs for probably an hour and 1/2, and the whole time they were on the flat bench. They must have done 20 sets, starting with enough weight were they would just do one rep and bounce it off their chest while arching their backs, and the spotter lifting what looked like as hard as the spotter could, then they would get up and high 5 each other. It was funny. When I left, they finally moved onto the incline bench. I can only guess how much more they did there.

Sometimes you just go to laugh.

Sweet story.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

lol, always good times when kids come to play. Thats what they do, they play, they dont realize that this can be fun and productive at the same time. Anywayz couple of days ago i saw two kids no older than 15 years, put 4 plates on the machine press. Their rom was about 3 inches, i'm not even exagurating. I hurd them overtalking as well, they were talking aobut how you are only suppost to be moving the weight about 5 inches max. I almost burst out laughing. They were also giving each other the fist thing, you know when all the white kids that think they are black do, the knucle thing, they did this on ocasion when nobody was watching. Also made me laugh, " Yeah, dude, wer are so bad strong" as i recall. LOL. One more quick rant There is this guy who's got nice arms, and chest, but skinny as legs. I saw him repping 135 on the squat rack with about 5 inches of ROM. But thats not the main beef, he always just talkings to everbody about BS, i just want to walk up to him and break his teeth over my fist, today he was talking aobut doubeling income every 5 to 6 years to some old guy, who was thinking the same thing as i was, i can see it his eye.s
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Good stuff.

omgosh dude, that is saweet!

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    lol, always good times when kids come to play. Thats what they do, they play, they dont realize that this can be fun and productive at the same time. Anywayz couple of days ago i saw two kids no older than 15 years, put 4 plates on the machine press. Their rom was about 3 inches, i'm not even exagurating. I hurd them overtalking as well, they were talking aobut how you are only suppost to be moving the weight about 5 inches max. I almost burst out laughing. They were also giving each other the fist thing, you know when all the white kids that think they are black do, the knucle thing, they did this on ocasion when nobody was watching. Also made me laugh, " Yeah, dude, wer are so bad strong" as i recall. LOL. One more quick rant There is this guy who's got nice arms, and chest, but skinny as legs. I saw him repping 135 on the squat rack with about 5 inches of ROM. But thats not the main beef, he always just talkings to everbody about BS, i just want to walk up to him and break his teeth over my fist, today he was talking aobut doubeling income every 5 to 6 years to some old guy, who was thinking the same thing as i was, i can see it his eye.s
    this old man at my gym does the EXACT same thing minus the fists. he even scoffed at me one time when i was squatting 315 while he had the leg press with 5 pps with the seat as far back as possible. he is shorter than me as well. i wanted to break his ****ing hip, but he's too old and so I'll let him hold onto his illusions.

they were talking aobut how you are only suppost to be moving the weight about 5 inches max.
    LOL! That's gold dude.

At the gym I just quit (the YMCA), there were these gangsta wannabes 15-16 years old that would walk around the weightroom in their oversized Sean Jean gear, with bandanas on, and shorts down to their ankles. Their idea of a workout was punching the air with 10 pound dumbells in their hands. After that they'd head over to bench where they would help eachother crank out each rep.

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    LOL! That's gold dude.

At the gym I just quit (the YMCA), there were these gangsta wannabes 15-16 years old that would walk around the weightroom in their oversized Sean Jean gear, with bandanas on, and shorts down to their ankles. Their idea of a workout was punching the air with 10 pound dumbells in their hands. After that they'd head over to bench where they would help eachother crank out each rep.
    lol punching the air with 10 lb dbs, that just made me laugh.

hey but what about the A-holes in the gym? well this was stupid of me to do since I knew that I was tired and I didn't have a spotter but here's the story.

I had completed 4 sets on the flat bench and had moved on to the incline bb bench. I wasn't being a jackass because I knew my limits. I started off with 110 (weird weight don't ask) and did two sets of that for 8 repititions. then I upped the weight to 120 and went for 2 sets of 6 reps. on the final set, after I got 5, I knew that the 6th one was going to be a struggle. So I took a deep breath and went down. Smack dead 3/4 of the way up I got locked out. I tried pressing it up with all I had but I was out for sure. I think I was stuck in this position struggling my ass off for around 8 seconds. Across me sitting on the flat bench, is this jacked jamaican dude, laughing his ass off in this evil way. WTF it's one thing to not help, but to laugh at a poor kid just trying to get his last lift in? what the hell is that? then immediately after I'm down, then weights plop off (I've learned to always use clips after this incident). honestly I think that this is the most embarassing thing that could happen to you as a lifter; failing and then having the F*cking weights plop off. so I'm in deep shame while this mother****er keeps on laughing.

my goal is to out strengthen this a-hole and then laugh at his ass when he struggles with some heavy ass weight. well it's a longshot since he presses 315 for reps but hopefully someday before he's dead I'll show him who'll have the last laugh.
    Last edited by HelpMeLift; 08-08-2005 at 11:57 PM.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs