Thread: Aerobic before or after?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Aerobic before or after?

Trying to gain mass, but I realize I still need to do some cardio. Is it better to do about 10 to 20 minutes of cardio before or after your lifting sessions?

after.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

After, or on a non-lifting day if possible.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    I was always under the impression that it's better to do cardio before....Why would it be better to do it after?

Wannabebig Member
    oh yeah, and is 10 minutes really enough?

Basically when you start working out you are using glycogen as a fuel source (basically sugar). If you do cardio first you will be using up glycogen stores which will leave you with less energy to lift with which means less stress on your muscles which means less muscle hypertrophy. After glycogen, I believe fat is the next source of energy and it's a very poor source so it's better to deplete glycogen while you weight train and then focus in on the fat burning while doing your cardio...

Or at least that's how I understand it...someone please correct me if I got anything or everything wrong here...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Doh! Your second questions happened after I started my reply. I believe it takes approximately 20 minutes of cardio to deplete glycogen stores to get into a fat burning state...so if you do cardio after your workout you will have already depleted glycogen so whatever you do would be burning fat...if you do it before for 10 minutes you'll just be partially depleting your glycogen...

Current FFFA Enforcer

Definitely gotta go with after bro. No question.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    I believe it takes approximately 20 minutes of cardio to deplete glycogen stores to get into a fat burning state...
    *** Nope.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member

cardio after lifting

ElPietro was right on the money, hunny. I always, always, always do cardio for 30 min after i'm done lifting. i started lifting again in october, and i've gained 7lbs in lean muscle mass since then. my arms have gone from "guns" to fully automatic assault rifles...... giddy up!!
    funkigrl
    i got more game than parker brothers, and my abs are harder than chinese arithmetic

It is of no major consequence when you do it, unless you are training aerobically with a higher intensity (say 80% or greater), then you certainly would not want to do it first as you would be depleted before you ever hit the weights. At lower intensities, it is of no real consequence.

directly after, no way! - unless you give yourself a break in between.

For example: you can still go "before" if you are say going for a run in the morning and then coming home and hitting the gym in the evening, no worries. I think that this is the best way to put cardio and weights together rather than have them side by side all of the time.

oops sorry, my wheels fell off in that last post.

The first sentence should have read that cardio directly before weights is not a good idea...

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    AFTER weights, if you must do both on the same day.

On non-lifting days is even better.

Plus, the cardio seems to help work out the tiredness/soreness on those off days.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Maki - nope? why not?
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig Member
    Whenever I did cardio before lifting it seemed the workout sucked, now I do it after.

Originally posted by Maki Riddington

*** Nope.
    Perhaps some elaboration on your excellently worded reply?

Of course 20 minutes is a generalization...it can be greater or less depending on what your intensity level is...but "nope" is definitely not helping us.

Current FFFA Enforcer

3:16
    Originally posted by ElPietro

Perhaps some elaboration on your excellently worded reply?

Of course 20 minutes is a generalization...it can be greater or less depending on what your intensity level is...but "nope" is definitely not helping us.
    you are constanly burning fat. just generally after 20 minutes fat becomes the major fuel source. as if carbs continued to be the major source they would run out very quickly.
    when you do really hard intense cardio- more energy will come from carbs than fat. however you metabolic out put will be higher so you will burn more fat in a minute than you would at a lower intensity.
    high intensity - 20 kcals per minute
    eg 8 kclas from fat - 40% from fat
    11 kcals from carb - 55 % from carbs
    1 kcal form protien. 5 5 from protein.

low intensity 10 kclas per minute

6 kcals from fat - 60% energy from fat
    3 kcals from carbs - 30% from carbs
    1 kcals from protien - 10% from protien

(do not take these fugure literally - i just wrote nice number to do the calculation easily)

from the above table you see that high intensity use a lower % of kcals from fat, but overall use more energy from fat. this is where the fat-burning zone idea came from. though as maki wrote its not giving the person the full picture and company have used it to mislead people.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by body

though as maki wrote its not giving the person the full picture and company have used it to mislead people.
    *** Thank you body.
    My question is why is it 20 mins generally speaking?
    You can't deplete gylcogen stores completely.
    You can shift the emphasis using variables such as duration, density and food.
    But 20 mins is a number thats been thrown out there by some fitness guru who has read into a study a little too much.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo