Thread: Old school functional training in VA?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Old school functional training in VA?

Ok all - pretty basic question here. A buddy and I are looking into doing a few side outings for some old school functional training.. you know, dragging a sled, flipping a tire, carrying heavy rocks, stuff like that. Unfortunately neither of us live in a place where we can store such items.

Thus my question. Does anyone know of a place in Virginia, specifically Northern VA and/or Hampton Roads/Williamsburg where there is some of this stuff? I was hoping there might be some kind of "course" or something somewhere - basically a playground for grown men with too much testosterone .

If you know anywhere we can go, let me know! Thanks!

You CAN store such items. Maybe not a tire, but get some heavy weight sandbags, and hell, keep them in your car, or put them in a closet. They take up less space than a TV.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You CAN store such items. Maybe not a tire, but get some heavy weight sandbags, and hell, keep them in your car, or put them in a closet. They take up less space than a TV.
    Good point bro. More fun than a TV too, right? . Let me ask this - can you (or anyone) point me to a workout with this kinda stuff? I know the basics - dragging sled, flipping tire, carrying sandbags/rocks.. but what else could you do with say sandbags?

Thanks in advance!

My favorite sandbag work involves: cleans and presses/jerks (really work grip!), carries over the shoulder (works abs, obliques), carries in the arms (biceps, abs), farmers walks (grip), and throws (rotational, try playing catch, seriously; overhead for height).

In my book, you're pretty strong if you can toss around a 100+lb bag with ease. I have a 80/90lb bag and two 50lb bags. It's very different work than lifting with an olympic weight set. It would also be easy to make a sled to drag the bags too.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    My favorite sandbag work involves: cleans and presses/jerks (really work grip!), carries over the shoulder (works abs, obliques), carries in the arms (biceps, abs), farmers walks (grip), and throws (rotational, try playing catch, seriously; overhead for height).

In my book, you're pretty strong if you can toss around a 100+lb bag with ease. I have a 80/90lb bag and two 50lb bags. It's very different work than lifting with an olympic weight set. It would also be easy to make a sled to drag the bags too.
    Thanks bro. I'm looking forward to this stuff! For two guys completely new to this kind of training (and in all honesty, probably not the strongest guys in the world either haha, part of the reason to do it right?) what weight bag would you recommend to start - 50lb bags?

Also, how long would you do it for? Hour or so like a normal workout?

Finally you didnt mention deads - I was thinking something like deadlifting a bag then carrying it - not a huge weight to deadlift, but its probably a lot different with an unbalance and hard to grip sandbag. Thoughts on that?
    Last edited by jahutch; 08-10-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jahutch
    Also, how long would you do it for? Hour or so like a normal workout?

Finally you didnt mention deads - I was thinking something like deadlifting a bag then carrying it - not a huge weight to deadlift, but its probably a lot different with an unbalance and hard to grip sandbag. Thoughts on that?
    Well, there's not much to do once you deadlift a bag besides drop it. But a great majority of bag work involves cleaning it to shoulder height, for presses and carries.

I tend to mess aorund the with bags for far less than an hour. But it's been really hot here so I'll do a lot more when it gets cooler. Quite frankly, it's mroe fun than lifting in a gym, especially if you have a partner. Sandbag catch is awesome, and I made one of my friend puke from a workout with a 50lb bag.

Sand is cheap as hell, so get 50lbs and some heavy 3mil contractor garbage bags and a canvas bag and add sand as necessary.

Wannabebig New Member
    Get an old army duffel bag and fill it with however much sand you want. Sand bags are true beasts and will humble most lifters (they made me feel like a weakling). They are great for grip work (fighting to control the bag as the sand moves) and raw strength. You can do overhead presses with them, deadlifts and we even did some bench press with them. Make sure you use enough weight that its a challenge.