Thread: Help For Routine w/Limited Equipment (Long Post)

Banned

Help For Routine w/Limited Equipment (Long Post)

I'm 24 years old. 5'11" tall. 170+ lbs.

18 or so weeks ago, when I started working out again, I was at about 145 lbs. I know it's newbie muscle because I've been through it before.

I lifted hard, but didn't eat right all through high school. Partly because I wrestled year round and partly because I just didn't know better. I'm finding out that i'm not the hard gainer i thought i was, but i am naturally thin. I don't gain fat easily. (Good thing I suppose.)

My chest has always lagged behind and it still is now.

Here's my current routine. Maybe it's a little odd, but i have limited equipment and i'm somewhat injury prone. Bad knees and ankles and i've broken my foot in the same spot 4 times. Kinda makes me afraid to lift heavy with my legs, despite the benefits.

Day 1:

Standing Shoulder Press w/Dumbells | 2 x 6 - 8

Bench Press w/DB | 2 x 6 - 8

DB Sup. Curls | 2 x 6 - 8

Tricep Extension w/EZ Bar | 2 x 6 - 8

DB Hammer Curls | 1 x 6 - 8

Reverse Curls | 2 x 6 - 8

Upright Rows | 2 x 6 - 8

Wrist Curls Behind Back | 1 x 10 - 12, then immediately switch to empty bar and curl till failure, i.e., i almost drop the bar.

Total Sets: 14

Day 2: Rest

Day 3:

Squats w/Dumbells | 1 X 20, 1 x 8 - 12

Calf Raises (One leg at a time w/dumbell) | 5 x 5

Weighted Crunches (on bench w/dumbell behind head) | 3 x 8 - 12

Weighted Situps (plate on chest) | 3 x 8 - 12

(My short cardio, for lack of anything better to do)
    Leg Lifts x 1
    Squats w/out weight x 1
    Wall Squat x 1

Sets: 13 or 16 w/cardio

Day 4: rest

repeat

Now, i'm looking for some way to improve my workout all around, but I don't have access to a whole lot of equipment. I have free weight dumbells, two EZ curl bars (but i don't do bicep curls with them, lol) and a plain flat bench. It doesn't hold a bar.

I could buy more equipment or join a gym, but the problem with that is that I'll be moving before long hopefully. I'm job-hunting and finishing up a degree. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and have no place to put it in a few months or sign up for a gym membership i end up not using b/c i move away.

On the positive side, I have naturally big calves, lol. Almost too big, like they belong on some sprinter's body instead of mine.

You know you can cancel youre membership and get a new one after and unless you move into a box you should be able to fit a solid bench and barbell into your house.

How heavy can you load up the dumbells/ezcurl bar? I would do some one-arm DB rows, DB deadlifts, DB cleans and/or bent over laterals because I don't see any back work at all.

(My short cardio, for lack of anything better to do)
    Leg Lifts x 1
    Squats w/out weight x 1
    Wall Squat x 1
    I would drop this stuff and just do more squats w. as much weight as you can muster.

If he doesnt have a bench I doubt he has a squat rack and doing squats without a rack is a stupid idea.
    Last edited by ROMANMAN; 08-12-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Join a gym. Read the contract, and see if there is an out if you move more than x miles away.

Many places actually have laws that require the gym do that.

For example, in MD, if you move more than 50 miles away from your current address, the gym has to let you out of the contract. In my case, this is unnecessary, because the guy who owns my gym would let a member out if they moved far enough away to make it inconvenient (other side of town). Being the smart businessman he is, he'd offer to transfer the contract to his other gym, on the other side of town...

If that isn't the case where you live, just ask the gym manager or owner - they'll be reasonable if you are. Many offer short term memberships, too - monthly, 3 months, etc. They will cost a little more, but that's the way it goes.

If you join a national chain or franchise, I would imagine if you move and want to transfer gyms, they would work it out for you.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.