Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good exercise to build triceps near elbow?

Wannabebig Member

Good exercise to build triceps near elbow?

Just looking for some ideas on how to gain more size in my triceps at the bottom where they connect to my elbow.

Thanks

Get bigger triceps.

Blame your parents for the genetically determined shape of your muscles.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

just do the full rom for all your tricep exercises. it'll catch up
    delete this account

Ya, you can't target a specific part of one whole muscle. Like Nash said, it is genetics.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-12-2005 at 12:22 PM.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Incline skullcrushers give me the best stretch out of any of the tricep exercises. It might help a little if you usually use the cable pd and don't stretch them as much. What nash said.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

From Pavel Tsatsouline's "Power to the People!":
    An obscure study done in the early sixties discovered that although the triceps is a 'three-headed' muscle, its medial head performs the brunt of the work. The other two heads, the long and the lateral, kick in only when the resistance is very high.... [they]will remain forever flat and saggy if you keep lifting Ken and Barbie weights!"
    I don't know how valid the study was, but my triceps have really grown a lot since I've started doing heavy bench and pushdowns w. bands.

Other exercises I like are DB Extensions (basically skull crushers w. DBs bringing the weight down to the shoulders) and Elbows Out DB Extensions (DBs start on chest w. elbows pointing out, press the DBs up and together at top). Here's a another description of elbows-out-extensions w. pics: http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/tatetri.html

BIG BOI
    elbow out incline db ext.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I like heavy dips and close-grip bench.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by big calvin
    elbow out incline db ext.
    Would you care to elaborate a little bit more as to why that would help?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    Would you care to elaborate a little bit more as to why that would help?
    It's a good exercise. Try it.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    From Pavel Tsatsouline's "Power to the People!":

I don't know how valid the study was, but my triceps have really grown a lot since I've started doing heavy bench and pushdowns w. bands.

Other exercises I like are DB Extensions (basically skull crushers w. DBs bringing the weight down to the shoulders) and Elbows Out DB Extensions (DBs start on chest w. elbows pointing out, press the DBs up and together at top). Here's a another description of elbows-out-extensions w. pics: http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/tatetri.html
    From what I'm reading, it just says lift heavy and it will grow. How is that any different from what we're all saying?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

there are 3 heads to the muscle you should be able to isolate or at least target them with different movements. i could be wrong
    Last edited by bigpoppapump979; 08-14-2005 at 09:37 AM.

BIG BOI
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    It's a good exercise. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    From what I'm reading, it just says lift heavy and it will grow. How is that any different from what we're all saying?
    Relax big guy... Everyone was giving him specific exercises and there was no mention of training load/intensity. For all we know, he might be pumping away with the right exercises and just not hitting them hard enough.

I guess I could have just said "Train your triceps HEAVY!" but I thought Pavel was more convincing...

skullcrushers and close grip bench are the meat and potatoes of my triceps routine. I'll rotate skull's with overhead extensions behind the head, just to hit em differently. sometimes I'll add in some heavy pressdowns as my final move. it seems to build up a good pump.

I wouldn't waste time with kickbacks, unless you're trying to get more definition for a BB competition. for strength, kickbacks are just inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by malkore
    skullcrushers and close grip bench are the meat and potatoes of my triceps routine. I'll rotate skull's with overhead extensions behind the head, just to hit em differently. sometimes I'll add in some heavy pressdowns as my final move. it seems to build up a good pump.

I wouldn't waste time with kickbacks, unless you're trying to get more definition for a BB competition. for strength, kickbacks are just inferior.
    How do kickbacks give more definition than othe exercises?

Here's a hint, it's a trick question.

I get a hella burn in my tris, esp the interior head doing straight arm pushdowns on the tricep machine (imagine doing lat pullovers, only you're standing up straight). I get a nasty burn in the top of my lat, as well. Nothing else I do burns like this from any other excercise. It's one of those burns that makes me jump around flapping my arms like an alkaseltzered seagull.

DJ

CarlP - my point was that kickbacks aren't really a good mass builder...if you're gonna do them, you'll be doing high reps with light weight. for me, that always brings out more definition than low reps/high weight.

CarlP - my point was that kickbacks aren't really a good mass builder...if you're gonna do them, you'll be doing high reps with light weight. for me, that always brings out more definition than low reps/high weight.
    I've never found high reps brought out anything but boredom.

How high are we talking here for the reps, malkore?

Here's a hint: certain exercises don't bring out definition.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Any bets on when Drew comes in here and tells him to squat?

Stick with increasing your weights, get plenty of sleep, and make sure your diet is in check (ie, you eat lots)
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

No clue, I don't bother with kickbacks ever. In terms of 'high reps', somewhere around 14-16reps with a weight that puts you at or near failure on the final rep.

(I'm starting to remember why I don't come to this forum much. Too much testosterone making people act rude for no good reason.)

and do you think doing 14-16 reps is a good mass builder?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

No clue, I don't bother with kickbacks ever. In terms of 'high reps', somewhere around 14-16reps with a weight that puts you at or near failure on the final rep.

(I'm starting to remember why I don't come to this forum much. Too much testosterone making people act rude for no good reason.)
    Cool! Maybe I have too much testosterone, too!

<sits back and waits for the humungous muscles to burst forth>

Dammit, didn't work!

So how is it that 14-16 rep-ranges do this, malcore?

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I've never found high reps brought out anything but boredom.
    Preach it sister

I used to do medium-high reps on the big three. Now I do 8 sets of 4 reps with increased weight. I hit the same amount of reps for the exercise, but move more weight. I love it.

But I too would like to know how 14-16 reps is going to give you better definition.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial