Thread: Dealership Plates, Car Accident and Non-USA driver

Dealership Plates, Car Accident and Non-USA driver

Kind of a question for those that work in a car dealership.

Well my 38 week pregnant wife got in a car accident the other day, luckily she was in a Suburban and the baby is doing ok, wasn't that violent of a car accident, just a parking lot type dent. The police determined that my wife was not at fault and issued a ticket to the other driver. Problem is the other driver, is here suppsoedly visiting family (he is hispanic - I'm assuming here illegally), has no licenses, car had dealership plates, there is no insurance on the car. The guy was arrested and the car was towed. According to my wife, the cop said that we may be able to go after the dealship for repairs or sue the guy himself (but he said good luck collecting anything from him). The cop also said that dealerships plates are commonly passed around from car to car with illegal aliens, but he said in this case it could not be determined since there was no paper work to prove either way if he was in the US illegally or just didn't have his passport with him.

My question is, does anyone know how dealship plates work, I thouhgt they were just used when you test drove the car? How can they get passed around from car to car, how can non-US citizens be able to get dealership plates to pass around between their friends?
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Who owns the car?

If the dealer let him drive using a dealer plate after transfering ownership of the car, that's probably illegal.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

If the dealership plates were REPORTED stolen, you probably have no recourse whatsoever. If the plates are not, you probably have a good case against the dealership, even if the plates WERE stolen, assuming you want to spend the cash on a lawyer.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I wannabebig!
    sounds like a lose lose situation, seems like the dealership tags are bunk and the guy is probably illegally here... id just hunt him down and beat the sh*t out of him and take whatever he has in his pocket

how much is the damadge?
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Owner of the car was one of the guys relatives, according to this guy. Supposedly he will be detained if he goes to claim the car. Seeing is believing on that one.

Suburban is less than a year old, it'll be the back side panel, so I am assuming a few grand. Just kind of pissed off with the whole situation, I feel like there is no recourse at all. I bet this guy will never be found or turn up, won't have an address.

All I want to know is how can a dealership can just hand out license plates, to anyone. The plate did not come back stolen.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Do you have insurance on your car? If you do this really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher
    Do you have insurance on your car? If you do this really shouldn't be much of an issue.
    except taht his premiums can go up for somethng that was not his fault..

bill glad to hear your wife is ok. same thing happend to me in my car about a year ago. being so close to the border over here in AZ its almost an everyday thing with illegals hitting adn running and all sorts of things.. not fair if you ask me but what can we do
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Sucks you almost had a disaster with an illegal. I know several people that have gotten into accidents with them because they drive like it's their home country, with no regard for laws. Glad to hear it's ok though.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

If the dealership provided the tag to the individual then the dealership's insurance may cover the accident provided the dealership was following their insurance company's rules with respect to the use of the tag.

If someone stole the tag and was using it without the dealer's knowledge then that is another matter all together.

It happens with great frequency that sales reps lose track of their dealer tags. They usually pop back up in time (someone else was using it to provide a service customer with something to drive etc.) and thus dealers will rarely report the tags as stolen.

I suggest you contact the general manager of the dealership that owns the tag and discuss the matter with him/her.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by lilmase1153
    except taht his premiums can go up for somethng that was not his fault..

bill glad to hear your wife is ok. same thing happend to me in my car about a year ago. being so close to the border over here in AZ its almost an everyday thing with illegals hitting adn running and all sorts of things.. not fair if you ask me but what can we do
    Guess it depends on what state you are in. In MI your insurance is responsible for your car regardless of who was at fault plus they can not raise your rates for an accident that was not your fault.

Sounds to me like it's time for an anonymous call to the INS..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Hahahah, I bet it was Rene in his Titan!!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    In NJ also insurance rates can't go up for a no-fault accident or an accident which wasn't your fault. See about that dealership.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    If the dealership provided the tag to the individual then the dealership's insurance may cover the accident provided the dealership was following their insurance company's rules with respect to the use of the tag.

If someone stole the tag and was using it without the dealer's knowledge then that is another matter all together.

It happens with great frequency that sales reps lose track of their dealer tags. They usually pop back up in time (someone else was using it to provide a service customer with something to drive etc.) and thus dealers will rarely report the tags as stolen.

I suggest you contact the general manager of the dealership that owns the tag and discuss the matter with him/her.
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Hahahah, I bet it was Rene in his Titan!!!
    Nope. Señor.

On another note....you should have uninsured driver's insurance. Your insurance won't go up for that.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    On another note....you should have uninsured driver's insurance. Your insurance won't go up for that.
    Ya, I just heard about that. I am checking to see if I had it rolled in. Funny thing, on the news there was a story about the influx of migrant workers and the cost they are causing for vehicle insurance. Soemthing about insurance companies are looking to raise insurance prices, based on the illegal immigrant population in your area. Hilarious.