The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

dip belt alternatives?

i've reached bodyweight chinsups and dips and tried doing them with DBs yesterday. unless i can get someone to keep putting the DBs between my shins/calves (troublesome), i have to use my feet to grip them.

for chinups it's terrible because it creates a lot of swing and tension. for dips there's a bit of swing but i have to bend my legs awkwardly since the dip station is low and i hit the floor straight-legged without a DB already.

i'd rather have the effort spent on gripping the DB used for the exercise itself.. my gym has squat belts but not dip belts, and they won't be getting any anytime soon. i can't afford one myself. was thinking of getting a piece of rope to hook a plate and tie around my waist or something...

suggestions?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

or invest in a dip belt... you'll find that it'll be a worthy investment.

rofl! i'm going to look totally idiotic, but good idea!!

How about a chain with one of those climbing clips on it (don't know what they're called) Just loop it through the weights and around the belt.

thanks tobart!! that sounds good too.. i'll see if i find a strong chain and the clips this weekend.

built, was surfing around on backpacks and found this

With a backpack, your center of gravity will move towards your back, making leaning forward to emphasize chest harder. You could wear the backpack facing forward, and I think you would be fine. You could always use a lifting belt and hang dumbells off it.
    know anything about the centre of gravity thing?

tobart, like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dissipate; 08-13-2005 at 01:08 AM.

dissipate: Lol! Nice paint artwork man, a real Picasso! My gym doesn't have weighted dip belts either, you would think that more gyms would offer them? Maybe you could sell some of your MS paint artwork and save up to buy a belt?
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    thanks tobart!! that sounds good too.. i'll see if i find a strong chain and the clips this weekend.

built, was surfing around on backpacks and found this

know anything about the centre of gravity thing?
    Physics. What do you want to know?

nosaj, thanks lol. you wanna buy my MS paint artwork so i can buy a belt then? :P

built, how would wearing the BP front or back affect chinups especially if i arch my back at the top?

Well, if you wear it in the back, I believe your body will rotate forward a bit. If you wear it in the front, your body will rotate backward a bit. Try it both ways and see which one hits your lats the way you want it to.

Hold a dumbbell between your feet. It's pretty easy up through 50 pounds.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

mix, i did! makes my legs swing a lot, have to bend them back awkwardly because the stations are too low, difficult to grip and i spend a lot of energy i'd rather use on the exercise

dissipate, hahaha nice pic, that's actually exactly what I was thinking. That is essentially what the dipping belts look like at my gym. I do my dips either straight upright or leaning forward slightly (puts more emphasis on the chest) and I find this design of belt puts the added weight in the right place.

btw DNL, i don't expect to go up to BW plus a 45 plate so was looking for something cheap. thanks though!

tobart, hehe. yeah i just got back from the DIY shop with a 4 foot chain and a shackle (their clips were too big to fit into the chain links). decided not to use a BP because of the centre of gravity thing. tried it on with an ordinary belt and it seems pretty solid... about $7 in USD thanks for the idea!!!