The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Getting bigger muscles/Burning fat

Right this is the basis of my work out and goal.

I'm 21 years old, and I weight around 93 KG. I'm 6ft tall, and I'm slightly overweight.

I have visable love handles and excess fat under my chin.

I'm currently taking Wu Shu Kwan classes ( 2hrs per class) 3 times per week, and about to start Ninjutsu classes (2 hrs per class) 2 times per week.

I also go to the gym 5 times per week (3 days lifting weights/3 days doing cardio). I focus on weight training/body building to increase muscle mass, and I also focus on cardio exercises such as 30 minutes on the tredmill at 7MPH, with the incline on full, along with skipping (Aroun 150 hops daily), after each work out I drink a Whey Protein shake, which contains Creatine, I also take Gin Seng supplements in the morning.

I do atleast 200 sit ups daily, 3 sets of 20 Push ups (20 knuckles/20 flat palms). I eat a healthy diet (No Junk food/Alcohol/Candy/Soft drinks)
    Mostly Corn flakes with bannna for breakfast with another Banana around 11 am...

Lunch is normally a Tuna salad, and vegtable soup.
    Dinner is normally a Tuna sandwich (Rye bread/Chinese Lettace/Paprika) or Pork fillet, with some Pasta, I drink nothing but mineral water, and the off cup of coffee during the day.

I'm currently trying to cut down on carbs too.. My legs are solid, since I'm currently working on a gas rig, so I'm walking up and down the platform all day, so I'm sweating and loosing weight.

When I get back home though in 3 weeks, and get back into my Martial arts/gym routine, I want to really up the tempo.

My aim is to get bigger muscles, and toned, and at the same time burn off this excess fat I'm still carrying around.

What would you suggest in terms of better :

Eating
    Workout
    Rest
    Supplements
    Habbits

And Do's Don'ts ?

I'm confused since I hear, conflicting opinions of cardio/muscle building at the same time.

Looking at my current routine, what can you see it leading to ?
    My fear is burning muscle, while doing heavy cardio.
    Basically my aim is to burn off the fat I have now, by eating a balanced diet, while at the same time lifting weights to build up, and using protein poweder as a supplement with my diet, to build up.

I'm not looking to get HUGE, just bigger and toned.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

K well it's good that you've been reading around but for future reference don't use the term "toned" unless it's for comic relief.

Yeah well getting bigger muscles and burning fat at the same time is an involved and usually slow process. Here's the trade-off: The faster you burn off all your fat the more muscle that will be burnt off but gaining muscle is hard to do without gaining fat.

Basically I'd get rid of the cardio unless you need it for other purposes than fat burning. If you do cardio it will burn some muscle and to be quite frank whatever fat you do burn could be burnt just by keeping your calories at a deficit (and you don't have to spend time on the treadmill sweating all over yourself and getting bored off your a$$). Some people have different opinions on the subject of cardio but if you really want to do some running then do a search for HIIT (high-intensity interval training) and read some of the threads on it.

Your routine doesn't seem to be optimal for muscle growth. Muscle growth occurs in the hypertrophy range which, while it varies between individuals, usually takes place in the 6-12 repetition range. That means pick a weight where you will only be able to do anywhere from 6-12 reps. I know this seems odd but it is the truth; your 200 crunches and 20-rep push-up sets aren't going to get your muscles bigger.

As for abs in particular you should know that gaining good-looking abs has a lot to do with bodyfat % (you didn't state what your bf% is and you might not even know what it is off the top of my head but you can get it checked out some time). Basically you want big abs but low bodyfat (under 12% is good) for nice abs... check out this link for more info:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ll+House+state

Creatine is fine as long as you know how to use it correctly. Whey protein is a must (at least 150g a day though some will argue you need much more).

If you are looking for a good weightlifting routine check out WBB1 on this site. Most of us will agree it is a great place to start for those becoming serious about lifting.

Your diet looks fine but you will have to take note of roughly how many calories you are eating (you should be under maintenance to lose fat).

Otherwise welcome to the forums and may you learn a lot and help others learn here.

P.S. You should try to stick to lbs instead of kgs. No offense but most of us here use lbs for measurements. I'm not saying one is better than the other but it will help for you to switch your measurements to lbs.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

whoa that's a lot of activity... martial arts 5x a week plus gym 5x a week! err what are the 200 situps for?

i agree with fatrb about doing HIIT for cardio. whether bulking or cutting, i do cardio everyday. some people say it helps them lose fat faster, others say it makes them lose muscle. i'd suggest monitoring your weight/BF while trying out what works for you, and make changes accordingly.

nutrition - take a look at 'what a bodybuilder eats' thread in the nutrition section. if you need advice on your diet, post it up on fitday.com and give us a link in the nutrition section. (i'm a bit ? on the pork fillet)

supps - i'd say make sure your diet is good and clean first, then use whey etc. supplements are supplements, they're not meant to replace a good diet of REAL food. and multivits and fish oil/flax would be nice.

hope this helps!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks boys, can you please PM me your e-mail addresses.
    I knocked up a cool routine/diet in Microsoft Excel format, which I would like to send to you all, for your critique/suggestions

I should have been more spesific with my situation. Basically as a Martial artist, I'm not looking to gain HUGE mass, especially upper body muscle, since it will slow me down.

I'm basically looking to get lean, with well defined muscles..Kinda like a Bruce Lee body
    Last edited by roguetheory; 08-15-2005 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roguetheory
    I should have been more spesific with my situation. Basically as a Martial artist, I'm not looking to gain HUGE mass, especially upper body muscle, since it will slow me down.
    That's cute. And wrong. Totally, totally wrong.

The only reasons to restrict weight are to make a weight class or to maintain power-to-weight ratio (like a gymnast). Muscle mass will not slow you down. this is a common and stupid myth among martial artists, which I think we see being demolished with the rise of MMA fighting.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

i'm sorry but did you say skipping?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by BBar23
    i'm sorry but did you say skipping?

Nothing wrong with that. Some pro boxers do this as well.

you wouldnt laugh, maybe just a little if you saw some guy build like a brick sh!t house skipping? I personally would find that ammusing but 2 each is his own,

Wannabebig Member
    Here is a list of my routine, which I'm going to be starting in a few weeks.
    From looking at it, what do you think it will lead to results wise ? (I.e Improved stamina, burnt muscles etc)..Any suggestions are welcome
    Please excuse the layout, I had to cut and paste it from Microsoft Excel.
    If you look closely, there are two days in each section.

Monday Tuesday

Morning: Sit-ups/Push ups/Skipping Morning: Sit-ups/Push ups/Skipping
    Morning part 2: Gym Chest/Back Morning Part 2: Gym Cardio 1hr
    Evening : Wu Shu Kwan class 2hr Evening: Light cardio 30 minutes
    Lunch: Protein shake (With Fruit) Lunch: Salad/Vegtables
    Dinner: Protein shake Dinner: Skinless chicken

Wednesday Thursday

Morning : Sit-ups/Push ups/Skipping Morning: Sit-ups/Push ups/Skipping
    Morning Part 2 : Gym Shoulders/Triceps Morning Part 2: Cardio 1hr +
    Evening: Light cardio 30 minutes Evening: Wu Shu Kwan class 2 hr
    Lunch: Protein shake (With fruit) Lunch: Pasta( With chicken)
    Dinner: Skinless chicken Dinner : Salad (with baked beans)

Friday Saturday

Morning: Sit-ups/Push ups/Skipping Morning: Sit-ups/Push ups
    Morning Part 2: Gym Biceps/Squats/Forarms Morning Part 2: Wu Shu Kwan class
    Evening: Ninjutsu Evening: Ninjutsu
    Lunch: Protein shake Lunch: Protein Shake/Power bar
    Dinner: Salad( With fruit) Dinner: Skinless chicken/Salad

Sunday
    Morning: Sit-ups/Push ups/Skipping Morning part 2: Rest
    Evening: Ninjutsu
    Evening Part 2: Yoga
    Lunch: Pasta (with chicken)
    Dinner: Light meal (Salad)

Cardio:Running (Interval training setting on Tredmilll) Running (8mph, no incline) Swimming/Sauna,Skipping,Weight lifting (High reps/medium weights)

Supplements: Protein powder(Contains Creatine),Amino acid supplement
    Fat burner (Supplement for targeting fat during WO)
    Last edited by roguetheory; 08-15-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Looks like crap to me. I doubt you'll be gaining much muscle in fact you'll probably burn away a good amount of it. Your stamina might go up but that's about it.

Dude to be quite honest that's not even the problem cuz I think you are mistaken going for the Bruce Lee thing. A big guy will come up to your 140lb lanky a$$ skipping around town and pummel you to the ground. Bruce Lee is WAY overrated.

BTW if you want defined muscles you need to do low weight high reps and just get your bodyfat % down.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

No reason to do pushups, etc. No reason for medium weights/high reps. No reason to have that many protein shakes unless you can't hit your protein level with real food.

Lift heavy, eat, sleep, squat, and good things will happen. Sounds like your going to waste ALOT of time.
    Nick V

Thats incorrect, altering your rep range will not cut the fat off your muscles... it does not make them bigger. I will agree that hypertrophy occurs in the 6-12 rep range but at 6 reps you can gain both strength and size, the main deal about adding mass is eating more calories then you expend. Its newtons law, matter isnt just created.. its transfered.

You need to get in the gym more, your neglecting muscle groups like your lower back, lats, traps, calfs.... You need the most work here. And if anything adding more muscle will make you more agile, not slower.

Banned
    Low reps HEAVY ****IN WEIGHT!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input..What would you suggest I change ?

Well tell us what your true goals are. To look good? To look buff? To be a good fighter? To gain tons of strength?
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Well tell us what your true goals are. To look good? To look buff? To be a good fighter? To gain tons of strength?
    My goals are to have a phyique like that guy in your avatar.
    Basically lean, but buff.

Wannabebig Member
    my opinion is to actually back OFF of your physical workouts some more. You're going to burn out and then give up. Take things in moderation...

WWB#1 is really great. I've cut 1 hour off my routine and have a lot more free time. On my off days I'm doing 20 minutes of running and 30 minutes at the gym is sooooooo easy.

LOL I wonder woh that guy in my avatar is...
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Bruce Lee is WAY overrated.
    agree with everything you have said until this. thats all.

FAT3B: Dude...yeah I was wondering that too. I thought it was you at first, but now that you mention it I'm guessing it's probably not you...because...well because that would be so odd if you had your own picture as your own avater, right? I mean, come on, who does that!

And also, Bruce Less was not overrated. You need to understand he was not training to be a bodybuilder. The cardio activities and other training he did was for his martial arts, not bodybuilding. Also, he once hurt himself doing good mornings, so the sheer fact that he did those is already awesome !
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 08-15-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    FAT3B: Dude...yeah I was wondering that too. I thought it was you at first, but now that you mention it I'm guessing it's probably not you...because...well because that would be so odd if you had your own picture as your own avater, right? I mean, come on, who does that!
    Yeah, really. I mean, that is just so lame when people do that.

No no no no no Bruce Lee is overrated. Put him against any respectable UFC fighter and they would probably come close to killing him within two minutes. I mean it's great that he's quick and stuff but come on he doesn't have enough force and weight to kick enough ass. Put him against any good professional boxer and they'd probably kill him no problem.

I don't know if you guys know this but during WWII they used to pit American soldiers (who were almost always boxers) against Asian fighters (who were almost always karate-trained fighters) and the soldiers used to pretty much always pummel the karate dudes.

I like Bruce Lee though, he is good for a couple things. His physique is alright but it seems like all he is is some dude with low bodyfat... his muscles aren't that big. The #1 thing Bruce Lee is good for is making sick a$$ noises when he is beating people up in his movies. His lines are pretty funny and his facial expressions are sick too but that's about it. He is overrated.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

In his earlier training he didn't bulk up, but he started to bulk up before he died. You can see in his more recent pictures he was definitley bigger.

I wouldn't be so sure about having him lose to American fighters, plus, it's a different kind of training. Yes, of course he could be bigger, but he was getting bigger before he died. I bet his fist was iron.

Hands down he could own me 400 times over.

Let me put it this way. Mike Tyson beat the sh!t out of Wesley Snipes pretty much without ever even getting hit. Snipes is "trained in several different fighting styles" (that's real cute). Van Damne gets his a$$ kicked all of the time because he thinks he can fight anybody.

We're talking real life here too, not "Blade" and "Kickboxer". Why do you think the champions of UFC fighting are not doing flying kicks and making screaming sounds when they do judo-chops? Because karate isn't the best fighting style.

A kick-boxing and grappling combo seems to be the best. You also won't see someone as skinny as Bruce Lee doing any damage in UFC.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

are you only having 2 meals a day??!?

and i think you're doing way too much activity... rest is needed for muscles to grow. for me, more than 1 hour of cardio a day is insane!