The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Carpal tunnel syndrome question

Hey guys,

I have a question because I think I have a lot of symptoms consistent with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (itching feeling in the hands, numbness, discomfort) but strangely the whole problem in my case doesn't seem to originate from the wrist, in fact it seems to start behind the right shoulder/right lats and spread from there. Sometimes the back of my shoulder and my armpit give me the exact Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms. It's very uncomfortable.

Sometimes when it feels bad my girlfriend gives me a back massage and just running her fingers on my spine while gently pressing it sends electrowaves throughout my body and a few moments later a very sharp tingling to my right hand. And right after I feel totally relieved.

What gives?? I thought Carpal Tunnel Syndrome was all about the nerves in your wrist but in my case the problem seems to start in the back?

I'd love to hear your ideas on this.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Maybe a brachial plexus injury?
    What part of the spine gives off that "electrowave" feeling you described? The neck area, midback, lowback?
    -keep in mind that the nerve involved in carpal tunnel syndrome runs all the way up into your elbow and to the spine. Think of it like a network, its all attached.
    Last edited by Sleepr; 08-20-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks for your response. I'd say it's around midback... I feel I can trace it down to the lats/low trapezius area.

-Well, that may be a seperate problem. The median nerve, which is involved in carpal tunnel syndrome is located fairly high around the neck area.
    -If you tap on your wrist repeatedly (on the forearm side), you can check to see if you begin to feel numbness and tingling, this could be indicative of carp. tunnel.
    -Did you injure yourself at any time or recently? (back, neck, arm, or even pull your shoulder out...best way I can describe this one is if you can visualize someone yanking your arm)
    DISCLAIMER: These issues really can't be diagnosed over the net; I'm just trying to help you get an idea of what might be your issue.

No injury, and indeed it apears to be a separate problem since I can't see a difference between my pinkie and the other fingers (normally in CPS the pinkie isn't affected). So I don't know. Do you think it's safe to keep working out/playing tennis at 100% intensity?

pinched nerve? I'd say see a doctor.

Could be thoracic outlet syndrome:
    http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic578.htm

One of its common causes is repetitive activities.....such as weightlifting.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael
    No injury, and indeed it apears to be a separate problem since I can't see a difference between my pinkie and the other fingers (normally in CPS the pinkie isn't affected). So I don't know. Do you think it's safe to keep working out/playing tennis at 100% intensity?
    Actually, if your experiencing the problem in your pinky and ring finger and the fat area just before your thumb (on your palm side), it can be what is called Cubital tunnel syndrome. If you touch your elbow on the side closer to your body, you will feel a couple of bony prominences and it kind of feels like a passageway. If you massage that area, you might be able to increase nutrition to the nerve and better manage the issue.

-But like I said, very hard to Dx over the net.