The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Klutzy McKlutz

End of set with squats in a power rack

I just squatted in a power rack for the first time today. I found that at the end of my set, I was looking to see where the hooks to rest the barbell were and in doing so got unbalanced. How do you guys know where they are at the end of your set? Does everyone look or does it just become something you know after doing it enough? I'm thinking I'll just take the barbell and rack and unrack the weight a million times and see if that helps any. If anyone could offer any tips on this, I'd appreciate it very much.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I searched and didn't find anything.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Set the hooks up so that you can WALK straight into the rack, then once you're against the rack just lower yourself a tiny bit to drop the bar in. This is the safest way and you should not get unbalanced.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

Just put the hooks at a height that is slightly lower than where the bar rests on your shoulders/back/neck. Take the barbell and move it all the way up to the vertical bars while you are on your tip-toes and then just slowly lower the barbell. You really can't miss if you bring the bar above the hooks and flush with the vertical bars.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Take the barbell and move it all the way up to the vertical bars while you are on your tip-toes and then just slowly lower the barbell. You really can't miss if you bring the bar above the hooks and flush with the vertical bars.
    This is a common mistake. You should not have to go up on your tip toes to rack or unrack the weight.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The way my power rack works, you just walk strait into the cage. The Barbell sits about 2-4 inches lower then my shoulder blades... I squat down and get under the weight. Then onces its comfortable on my back I just walk backwards about 3 steps or so and perform the lift. Then I walk forward until the bar hits the rails and lower it down onto the hooks it sat on before. You cant screw it up.

Klutzy McKlutz
    Thanks guys. I now see the error of my ways, I was going in backwards. Whoops! Thanks again for all the help!

Yea that would be hard, and with heavier weights I wouldn't even attempt to do it that way. Always face the barbell when you unrack it.

You mean face the rack?

I always face the rack when squatting.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Well the barbell is sitting on the rack (maybe were thinking of two different things)... either way I walk twoards the rack still facing forward and get my neck under the bar... stand up and walk backwards, squat, walk forwards and re rack.