The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Newb question about compound lifts and their significance.

Let' say I'm doing a full-body routine (which I'm not right now, but am just curious) that includes Squats, Bench Press, Deadlifts, Chinups, Power Cleans, and some heavy ab work. I know that chinups aren't targeting the traps/rhomboids, but do work them to some degree. My question is: Would, say, doing chinups increase rowing strength just because of its compound sweetness? Or would you need to row to get stronger at rowing?

Same goes for curling. If my chinups get stronger, will this increase my curling strength? Or do I need to actually curl to get stronger at curling?

I've just always wanted to know.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-17-2005 at 11:17 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you already know the answer, man. Do you think someone who squats 700 will have trouble doing leg extensions with the stack?

Anything you do that works a muscle will make the muscle stronger, therefore the strength will carry over to other lifts. Like a lot of the pros say, you don't have to deadlift to get a bigger deadlift.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by debussy
    I think you already know the answer, man. Do you think someone who squats 700 will have trouble doing leg extensions with the stack?
    Yes. There are lots of people who don't have open kinetic chain single joint movement strength while being very good at heavy compound movements. All relatively speaking, of course.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Alright thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Yes, compound movements to some degree or another work out every muscle group involved, plus I think they encourage the production of growth encouraging hormones.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Thanks for the input.
    Lifting Journal