The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

How do you grip the bar when benching?

When I first started working out I'd grab the bar with a closed grip. Sometime after a friend of mine told me to try it with an open grip (thumb doesn't go around the bar) because it spreads the weight out a little better across your hands.

Well I started using the open grip and found it easier to stabilize the weight when I went heavy, an consequently was able to squeeze out a few extra reps.

I recently tried switching back to a closed grip but found I was doing fewer reps so went back to the open grip.

Just curious what grips other people prefer.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3:16
    prefer closed hand grip. feels safer
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I used to use open grip, but it isn't legal in the plifint fed I was in so had to switch to closed. Felt weaker for a bit, now I dunno if it makes much difference.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

i've never tried an open grip... next workout i will give it a try...
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Quote Originally Posted by capn crunch
    i've never tried an open grip... next workout i will give it a try...

Same for me.
    Stats
    -----------
    29yrs old
    6ft
    239lbs
    Bulking for a few more weeks

7/27
    Bench: 1x315 Squat: 4x365 Dead: Need to Max
    8/11
    Bench: 1x335 Squat: 2x425 Dead: 1x385
    "Before I'm through I'm going to make He-man look like She-Ra!"-Me

I use closed grip, but will change to open grip if I'm repping lighter weights.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I guess I didn't know that there was an open grip. I have always did closed grip.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

open grip is stupid.. why the hell would you want to give it a try hahaha? Seriously, What benefit does it have over a secure closed grip? In a way this is like saying I squat on my toes. IMO. You may be able to press more because of less strain on the wrists.. but do you really want to trade in poundage for safety?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    open grip is stupid.. why the hell would you want to give it a try hahaha? Seriously, What benefit does it have over a secure closed grip? In a way this is like saying I squat on my toes. IMO. You may be able to press more because of less strain on the wrists.. but do you really want to trade in poundage for safety?
    I'm with El, have you given it a try? A closed grip is no more secure than an open one. Try it sometime an you'll see. And there is a slight difference in feel, which may or may not have a small effect on your bench results. For some I think it does. But it's mostly a comfort thing. Some like it open, some don't. I like it open, but I've been using a closed grip recently. I guess I'm a confused soul.

Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Have you even tried it? I never once felt that the bar could roll out using that grip.

And even if anything went horribly wrong, do you really think that you can control your bench weight with your thumbs? Ain't gonna happen.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Have you even tried it? I never once felt that the bar could roll out using that grip.

And even if anything went horribly wrong, do you really think that you can control your bench weight with your thumbs? Ain't gonna happen.
    I may give this a shot sometime. Even if it did slip out- that's what the safety catch bars in the power rack are for...
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro

open grip is stupid.. why the hell would you want to give it a try hahaha?.. clearly i wasn't really serious hehe. But yeah i have tried it but only on warm up and medium load.

I use the closed grip for regular bench and open grip for close-grip presses. The latter becasue it seems easier on my wrists.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Never tried it. Mostly because it's called the suicide grip

I guess that means you'll never be able to go any further than hot chicken wings either eh?

Current FFFA Enforcer

iv'e had doubts using open hand grip, but did it last week, no problem. I like it, i'll probably continue to use open grip from now on.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

i like the feeling of open grip, compared to closed. I'm more comfortable = confidence = form = weight
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.