The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GF Worked Out With Me, Tips Welcome

So my girlfriend has been asking me to show her a few things at the gym, and we were able to go together last night for the first time. We went through my back routine, slightly modified for her, but it went well. Here's what I had her do:

Treadmill - Mild warm-up 5 minutes
    Deads - 8 x 95 - 4 sets
    Pulldowns - 8 x 50 - 4 sets
    Cable Rows (close grip) - 10 x 60 - 4 sets
    BB Shrugs - 10 x 60 - 4 sets
    Cardio/Cool Down - Treadmill for 15 minutes

We focused mainly on proper form, so the weights and set structure may change a little once she's comfortable with how to perform each exercise.

I would say her main goal is to tone up, and maybe shed a pound or two. She understands that small changes to her eating habits, paired with resistance training, will help her reach that goal. But does anyone see anything that should be changed with what I've shown her for back/trap day? Keep in mind it was our first workout and I want to break her in easy.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you may want to have a look at WBB routines as well

important to work her lower body as well!

how's her diet like?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Legs are important to train. And so you know BB shrugs dont help your back, their more for your traps. She can lose the treadmill as well, unless shes aiming to train her ability to run farther. Calories will be important here, more then anything. As well as a full body workout.

Good advise all around.

You DO know there's no such thing as toning, right?

What's her diet like, and what are her "trouble" areas?

Geez. You made her do 4 sets of 95lb dead lifts? Is she sore?

Wow - good catch muscleup - I wouldn't start a newbie lifter with deads, and when I do introduce a woman to deadlifts, I have her use dumbbells, maybe 15 lbs a side. Maybe do something like cable rows or hamstring curls to hit back and hams until she gets used to moving some weight around. IMHO, It's not an introductory movement.

My fiance just wants to tone up as well. It was funny because I did the 'there's no such thing as toning' thing to the girl running her through her orientation. She just sort of looked at me and hissed "I know there's no such thing as toning and you know there's no such thing as toning but that's what people want to hear so that's what they'll hear! Go lift something heavy!".

Can't really argue with that. If people want to call burning body fat 'toning' then that's what it will be called...
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Wow - good catch muscleup - I wouldn't start a newbie lifter with deads, and when I do introduce a woman to deadlifts, I have her use dumbbells, maybe 15 lbs a side. Maybe do something like cable rows or hamstring curls to hit back and hams until she gets used to moving some weight around. IMHO, It's not an introductory movement.
    Yea, Like built has said before. When helping females out with routines, start the weight actually lifted really low. Even lower than you THINK they should be able to lift.

I had my finace' doing squats and lunges yesterday, and she got the lifts backwards and started with lunges with an 8lb DB in each hand, and then did squats with a 5lb DB in each hand. She is having some troubles with going up and down stairs today. hehe
    She goes to an all female gym, so i need to be more specific when i have her lifting, cause i can't supervise.

helping anyone out for the first time!

concentrate on form!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I start female friends doing squats with just their body - two sets of FOUR.

Lunges, again, just their body. I do 'em as split squats - less balance issues. Two sets of four per side.

Deads, after a few months of lifting. 15lb dumbbells, one in each hand.

We build up pretty quick, but women REALLY need to start lighter than the fellas. We're not just scaled-down men. I don't know why we need to start so light, but we usually do. Maybe it's because women often aren't as physically active (sports) as men are. I'm just guessing here. In any event, it's safer to start stupidly light and build it up quickly, than it is to start too heavy and get an injury (or just get discouraged and quit).

getfit - This was a back/trap day only. We'll do legs and chest on two other seperate days. I'm thinking of a 3 day split. May even find time for a little direct arm work. Any suggestions for exercises would be appreciated.

WBBIRL - I know BB Shrugs are a trap exercise. If you re-read my post, you will see that it says back/trap day later in the post.

Built - Well you know what I mean . She would like to decrease her BF% and increase her muscle mass, giving a more fit/tight look. She actually did very well with the deadlifts. But I do like the DB idea to start out.

Maybe a little background would help. She spent 7 years as a waterskier, ending in late 2003, and is very strong, with a great frame/build. She is not new to lifting but has tappered off in the last 6 months, and is looking for a little direction now that she's starting back up. She claims that the decreased level of activity is starting to show. The only new exercise I've introduced is deadlifts, and her form was excellent. We went through the other movements just to review her form. The weights on all exercises felt very very light to her. She stopped well short of the number of rep she could have done, and was nowhere near failure. Again, our main focus was form. I don't know if this changes anyone's advise, but what I'm hearing leads me to believe she's viewed as weak and new to lifting, which is far from the case.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 08-16-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I would not start a new trainee off with deadlifts until you've established a good base of strength first. You don't know here strengths or weaknesses in the gym, and these should be identified and addressed before any significant multi-joint movements with weight.

This is for guys or girls.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

*Start w. low reps and higher number of sets to improve form. Make every rep perfect.

*Get the abs, shoulders, and posterior chain strong.

*IMHO, deadlifts are fine but I think you probably overdid A LOT w. 4 sets of 8x95 - if she ends up so sore she never wants to lift with you again, I won't be surprised...
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-16-2005 at 02:33 PM.

You DO know there's no such thing as toning, right?
    i think everyone who uses this word just means fat loss. "toned" is the eye-candy effect you get when "toning" is over.
    Last edited by mattanshrager; 08-16-2005 at 02:47 PM. Reason: really bad typo
    delete this account

Quote Originally Posted by mattanshrager
    i think everyone who uses this word just means fat loss. "toned" is the eye-candy effect you get when "toning" is over.

Well, why use a made-up word when the truth will do?

Might as well use the correct terminology, rather than perpetuate yet another myth.

Don't you think?

not that you didn't know any of that, i guess my point is that it's just bodybuilding slang, and if the intention is understood, it doesn't matter.

i've seen a lot of complaining here lately about that one word
    delete this account

You ever get annoyed at the posts asking about how to work the upper chest? Same thing, right? It's a myth.

I come here to find answers and share information, not mythology.

We might as well get it right, here.

Well, why use a made-up word when the truth will do?

Might as well use the correct terminology, rather than perpetuate yet another myth.

Don't you think?
    Not to get off topic, but, one of Encarta's definitions for toned is, "strengthen muscles: to make muscles firmer and stronger".

Is this no longer a myth if it's being recognized in the dictionary?
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 08-16-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I would not start a new trainee off with deadlifts until you've established a good base of strength first. You don't know here strengths or weaknesses in the gym, and these should be identified and addressed before any significant multi-joint movements with weight.

This is for guys or girls.
    El, would it not be okay if done with light weights under the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing? We started by doing a few sets with only the olympic bar, just to get an idea of the lift. We went up to 95 lbs for the 4 sets and her form was very good. She's a very strong girl as a result of the years of waterskiing, so 95 lbs felt very light to her, even after the 4th working set. Safety is obviously my main concern. I don't want to push her too hard. But I think she is ready for deads, or at least a form of them. Someone recommended doing them with DB's, so maybe that would be a good alternative? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 08-16-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    Not to get off topic, but, one of Encarta's definitions for toned is, "strengthen muscles: to make muscles firmer and stronger".

Is this no longer a myth if it's being recognized in the dictionary?

Also according to encarta:

Bulking: swelling of building materials: the increase in the volume of sand, cement, and other building materials when they become damp.

I wouldn't have thought to look to a DICTIONARY for help in reaching my physique goals...

From Women and Weight Training: Countering Myths and Misperceptions
    Richard A. Winett, Ph. D.

"Toning is a term that has no scientific basis. It is not a term that appears in exercise physiology books. It's a made-up term. But what does toning mean in popular parlance? The term implies using light weights or other resistance presumably to derive some small muscular effect -- for strength and appearance. With toning, the idea seems to be not to put forth much effort (intensity) but to do a great deal of work (volume) -- many sets, many repetitions.

It's been known for at least 50 years that this is an ineffective training method. Here's why.

According to the well-established size principle, muscle fibers are recruited -- this means the order they "fire" or work - based on the intensity of effort. Smaller slow-twitch fibers will be recruited for lower-intensity efforts, while more and other fast-twitch fibers are only recruited with higher- intensity efforts.

Simply put, lower-intensity toning does not effectively work the muscles. But what about doing many repetitions and many sets? Such training practices are not only ineffective, they are a total waste of time. They wear you out and give you nothing in return."

Banned
    Also according to encarta:

Bulking: swelling of building materials: the increase in the volume of sand, cement, and other building materials ... wear you out and give you nothing in return."
    Yeah. I got burned once already on this board and I've learned my lesson. But I still give props to Tim. You can't argue with his logic!

You bet.

I'm gonna go work my upper pecs now...

Tim, if she's okay with the deads, go for it. It's just my standard word of caution for any newbie lifter.

Oh, and I'd ditch the pre-workout cardio. My personal opinion of it is that it's a waste of time. You warm up for lifting by lifting.

My .02

A 95lbs deadlift is actually pretty impressive for a first time lifter. That's where I started after 6 months of lifting and I remember it being really diffcult.