Thread: a football/hockey players training journal

a football/hockey players training journal

I decided that with the new school year only two weeks away, and my cutting finally over, i would start a fresh journal to log my training.

today i had football practice, it was pretty killer. Ladders and up-downs are the WORST.. and we did a TON of both. I have never really played anything but tackle/gaurd, but the coach wants me at tight-end... and i can't catch for ****. oh well, after a few more weeks of practice maybe my view on the position will change.

-capn
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Todays Session: Back, Biceps, and Forearms

Warmup
    5 min stairmaster

Deadlifts
    135 x 8
    185 x 8
    225 x 5 x 4
    225 x 4.5 (failed last rep )

Speed Deadlifts
    185 x 3 x 4
    135 x 3

BB T-Bar Rows (First time)
    45 x 8
    70 x 8
    45 x 8
    (does anybody else think that T-Bar Rows have an extremely low ROM?)

BO OH BB Rows
    85 x 8 x 3

BB Shrugs

135 x 8 x 3

Shoulder Width Pulldowns
    60 x 10
    70 x 8 x 3
    80 x 6 PR+10W

Seated Rows (quick)

100 x 5
    150 x nope
    110 x 5

Preacher Curls
    45 x 8 x 3

Standing EZ-Curls
    45 x 8 x 3

Hammer Curls (light, alt)
    20 x 8 x 2

Wrist Flexors (barbell)
    40 x 8 x 3

All above sets supersetted:

5 lbs attached to forearm rope... curl thing?
    up and down twice

Summary:
    solid back workout... deadlifts felt really good, i was REALLY pumped for them... i think i am going to up the weight next week. Pulldowns were also solid. My biceps are getting there, but still need work. Football practice after this workout was pretty rough... whatever though, long weekend.
    6'1 - 195

Try those T-Bar rows with a regualr barbell (if you aren't already), while streaddling the bar, yet with one arm at a time. It's great for the grip, and it'll give you better ROM. It's also a killer on the back.

Welcome to journal-land..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

how long did this workout take you? I have a Fighting Irish hockey team workout, i'll see if i can dig it up for you.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

that would be awesome if you could find that rocket. this workout took me about an hour and a half.. give or take 10 min.

elwood- thanks for the suggestion man, i am going to try that next time... i need work on my grip strength, and i feel that the ROM is too damned short!!!!
    6'1 - 195

Here is the workout, pretty good workout. I tried it for about a month, saw some great improvements in my endurance on the ice, got faster, more explosive. Overall good stuff. Hope this helps you.

A Hockey Workout-Fighting Irish Style
    By Aaron Hillmann

Posted on NaturalStrength.com on September 21, 1999

The doors to the Joyce Center Athletic Weight Room were opened at 6:12 AM on Friday morning. The hockey boys strolled in as a team for their final workout of the week. We began the warm-up as a team with 7 minutes of work on the Quick Foot Ladder from Speed City and a five minute stretching routine. The fellas were sweating and ready for the REAL work to begin. Master of Puppets (Metallica) was cranked up to ear deafening decibels. We started with 12 reps of manual resistance neck flexion and extension. The boys have been taught how to provide manual resistance and how to lift with manual resistance. Both of these movements are done slowly while lying on an exercise bench. Muscular failure is the goal, with perfect form and spotting technique. After the neck work we completed 2 sets of twenty reps on the seated dumbbell shoulder shrug. A priority misplaced on developing the neck and trapezius musculature because of the violent collisions in the sport of hockey. After the neck and trap work the team split into two, half to do the upper body portion of the workout and half to do the lower body portion of the workout. They were required to complete each half of the workout in 15 minutes before we switched. The upper body workout today consisted of a chest press (their choice of BB or Hammer Strength Incline Press or Hammer Strength Flat Bench Press) done for 3 sets of 15 reps, descending in weight each set. Each hockey player is paired with one partner and it is the partner's job to ensure proper form and intensity on each set, with a lot of positive reinforcement given by the strength coach. The second upper body exercise was an upper back pulling movement (their choice of Hammer Strength High Row, Hammer Strength Pulldown or Hammer Strength Rowing), again they completed 3 sets of 15 brutal reps, each set the weight was lowered about 25% from the previous one. The third exercise was another pressing movement (choice of BB Close Grip Bench Press or Dips), 2 sets of 15 reps with perfect form and intensity. The upper body workout was completed with one set of 12 manual resistance reps on the preacher curl bench using a towel to grab onto. The goal of the spotter is to beat the living piss out of their partner, ensuring proper form and intensity. The Notre Dame Hockey Team takes their lifting and spotting very seriously. The lower body workout today consisted of three or four exercises each done with no rest in between sets. One set each taken past muscular failure. When we train past muscular failure this means forced reps with the negative (lowering) portion of the rep being emphasized. We don't normally train past muscular failure but once or twice in any two week period we will crank the boys up. The first exercise in the lower body workout was Hammer Strength Leg Extension or Stability Ball Squats against the wall. We shot for around twenty reps on this first exercise. We chose leg extension or ball squat to emphasize the quadriceps and we have one leg extension and two balls for ball squats, with about 15 guys doing leg sat the same time we had to give them a choice. From here the spotters rushed their training partners to the floor for manually resisted leg curls for the hamstrings. The emphasis here is again on the negative part of each rep, going through a full range of motion. We shot for 15 reps. Normally we will use the Romanian Deadlift or The Westside Barbell Club Reverse Hyper Machine for hamstrings, but occasionally we do a leg curl movement and today was one of those days. After leg curls we rushed to the final leg exercise of the day. They had a choice between BB Squats, DB Deadlifts, Hammer Strength Leg Press or a Cybex Squat Machine. Our policy here at Notre Dame is those they CAN Barbell Squat Do Barbell Squat. Some individuals have body leverages or previous injury that does not allow them to Barbell Squat effectively, safely and with an appreciable amount of weight. In this case we do alternatives (Deadlifts, Leg Presses, etc.) We again shot for 20 reps on this last exercise. Best of the day in the BB Squat were 275 x 23 and DB Deadlift 100 x 32 (100 lb. Dumbbells in each hand). Not too shabby if you do leg extension and leg curl immediately prior to this. As an incentive to work and spot hard, we gave the hockey boys the option of a 60 second wall sit at the end of the 3 lower body exercises. This is done sitting at a 90 degree bend in the knees, back flat against a wall and not touching your legs. It's a real fryer after a lower body workout. About 5-6 guys "took" the option to further their intensity of effort. The workout finished with 20 perfect pushups done as a team, Military Style. "Down", "Up" "One!" was the cadence. We also did various abdominal crunching movements with body weight as a team to finish. Overall it was a great workout. 29 hockey players, one strength coach and the workout was completed in 56 minutes, warm-up included. Notre Dame Hockey, Search and Destroy mission for the next millennium!
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

thanks a ton for that rocket, i am goign to try that.
    6'1 - 195

semi-rest day today. i had a hockey game earlier with my summer league, it went awesome... i had a really good game. I played extremely physical, and got 3-4 assists. After our 9th goal the referee started to call bull****... i got 3 penalties, so i got thrown out of the game with about 10 min left... AND i got a standing elevation from the opposite's team cheering section (they didn't like me too much because i injured a few players with my hard clean hip checks) They stopped keeping track of the score after 9... my guess is that it was... 13 or 14 to 1. it was in there zone pretty much the whole game

i'm going to hit legs hard tommorow, wish me luck

-capn
    6'1 - 195

i made an effort to simplify the workout rocket posted:

7 min quick-step ladder

5 min stretching

12 reps manual resistance neck flexion/extention

2 sets 20 reps dumbbell shrugs

Chest press (choice of BB or Hammer Strength Incline Press or Hammer Strength Flat Bench Press) done for 3 sets of 15 reps, descending in weight each set

Upper back pulling movement (choice of Hammer Strength High Row, Hammer Strength Pulldown or Hammer Strength Rowing), 3 sets of 15 reps, each set the weight was lowered about 25% from the previous one.

Pressing movement (choice of BB Close Grip Bench Press or Dips), 2 sets of 15 reps

One set of 12 manual resistance reps on the preacher curl bench

Hammer Strength Leg Extension or Stability Ball Squats against the wall. 20 reps

Romanian Deadlift or The Westside Barbell Club Reverse Hyper Machine for hamstrings 15 reps

Choice between BB Squats, DB Deadlifts, Hammer Strength Leg Press or a Cybex Squat Machine 20 reps

60 second wall sit

20 perfect pushups

Workout Completed in 56 min INCLUDING warmup

Is this how you did it rocket? What could i use as a subsitution for the manual resistance neck flexion/extention? i bet a plate would work just as well wouldnt it?
    6'1 - 195

Todays Session: Legs, Chest, Biceps, and Forearms

Warmup
    5 min stairmaster (warmup pace)

Bench Press
    45 x 15
    95 x 10
    115 x 8
    115 x 6, 8
    (warmup partner wanted to see what i could do with 135... )
    135 x 4 (assistance at bottom for last two)

Squat
    45 x 12
    95 x 10
    135 x 8
    185 x 5 x 5
    (these felt awesome.. used wider stance)

Incline Press
    85 x 7, 7
    95 x 5, 5 (assitance last rep for both sets)
    ^^ Lost a ton of strength here from the cut... 95 used to be an easy 12 reps

DB Flies
    25s x 8 x 3

Leg Press
    2pps x 10
    3pps x 8
    4pps x 8

SLDL (used to round back, today I used a bend in my knees)
    95 x 8
    145 x 7, 7, 8

Bicep Superset:
    DB Curl: 8 reps w/ 20s
    BB Curl: 5-6 reps w/ 45lb bar
    Resistance Band Straight Curls: 10 reps
    FLEX BABY: 10 seconds
    ^^ repeated 3 times

Forearm Superset
    BB Behind Back forearm curls: 12 reps w/ 65 lbs
    Forearm Rope (curl?): 1 rep w/ 5 lbs (up and down)
    ^^ repeated 3 times

Standing Preacher Curls
    45 x 8 x 3

Cardio
    Steady Pace Stairmaster x 14 min @ lvl 7/8
    Aerobic Fast Pace Stairmaster x 7 min @ lvl 16 (WOW)

Great session today.. too bad I have football in 2 hours I also had a leg workout yesterday in my new HS's gym, i didn't note it because i wasn't used to any of the machines and I really had no consistancy... pretty much just a crap workout, thus the legs added to today. I was pretty happy with the 5 sets @ 185 for squats.. I will up it to 195 for next week. The guy i was with showed me his bicep supersetting routine.. it really made my biceps feel like **** after.

wish me luck at football.. i think i am skipping out on my hockey tonight because it is optional... theres nooooo way i could workout, do football AND hockey in the same day.
    Last edited by D Breyer; 08-23-2005 at 12:48 PM.
    6'1 - 195

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Where y'at?

You haven't posted in this thing for a few weeks.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-16-2005 at 08:57 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

your journal kicks ass man, keep up us to date buddy and keep working hard..sounds like your a hell of a worker.