The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    K when ur doing it though do you just do as much as you can for 1rep to see how strong you are? Or do you do it for 10reps as a work out, like do u put the barbell back on the floor for a few seconds, then just keep blasting it, or do u keep ur hands on the barbell and keep it going like bench or curls if u know wot i mean ?

I don't just do one rep deadlifts all the time. I do full sets, and max out whenever i feel like it. I max out every couple weeks or so. I don't do 10 reps for a set though...my deadlift sets are in the lower rep range, anywhere from 3-6, unless i max out.

When i do them, the barbell (well plates) touch the ground between every rep. My hands never leave the bar though. Bar touches ground, i lift next rep when ready, which is only a second later.

FYI, deadlifts are one of the greatest lifts, i'd suggest doing them, along with squats.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    And what is your beef with curls and benching? I think anyone who lifts weights should be proud of themselves and ignore the crap people give with the squating and deadlifts. If anything that is getting old, is hearing that.
    This is WannabeBig, not wannahavebigarmsandchest.

Every board or forum if up long enough, develops a culture. The prevailing view of this particular culture is if someone focuses on just arms and chest, he is not a serious bodybuilder or lifter. The reason we tell people to squat and deadlift is to help them reach their goals faster. But if someone doesn't want to squat or deadlift, and instead just benches and curls, most people generally will ignore him. That's just the way it is.

Well I guess people are going to have to be rude and ignore me then. Because right now I can't do neither. I am so sorry I am not worthy lol
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Well I guess people are going to have to be rude and ignore me then. Because right now I can't do neither. I am so sorry I am not worthy lol
    If you just bench and curl because that is all you care about, then you arn't worthy.

Ya, I am down with that, but not being able to and having to hear all the comments can be well, yanno.
    My Journal

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Ya, I am down with that, but not being able to and having to hear all the comments can be well, yanno.
    I'm just curious, why can't you?

Tore a muscle in my lower back last year and it still bothers me. Well Tore,wresnched, whatever. I stiff feel it when I walk for a while and docs seem to want to shy away from giving me any real solution. Chiro was just worried about cracking my back to releieve pressure on the muscle. That was getting old so I just stopped going.
    My Journal

Ah, that's a bummer man

pinky8713 - cheers man thats what i needed to know, im definetly going to start doing deadlifts propally now. I didnt really want to do them because i wasnt sure how it was done propally but ive heard so much about it and now so im up for it. I was just doing 5reps breaking in between at different times. Im still curious though are they good for your upper back because i want 2 eventually get the big upper back look.

IdaMAN - I used to be like you still am really, always thought the main muscles to work are chest and biceps/bench and curls and i do them the most - now i know i was wrong. I realise now y i look kind of weird because my biceps are pretty big now but can hardly see the triceps and pretty small pecs because i was just curling way before before anything else. anyways thanks..

Good luck bro. Feel free to check out my journal to get an idea for things. You don't have to do the same shiit i do obviously, but if you need some ideas, check it out.

Deadlifts are a great overall lift, and work many things man. As far as back goes, they mainly hit the lower/middle back. Do bb rows and chin-ups for your back (also do the deads of course), those are great for the "upper back look", which i'm assuming you mean a wide upper back.

Yea i do man thanks for that, not sure if i told you before but i do my lifting at home, only got free weights and a bench at the moment. Im going to be getting one of those chin-up bars fitted to my wall this week so the chin-ups will be good to add to my routine. Sorry to sound like a dumbass but what are bb rows?

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Back...ntOverRow.html

Those are bb rows. Use that site for checking form on exercises. Exrx.net

Cool man ive been looking for good exercises for the upper back, definetly going to try those out aswell. Whats it like for lifting though? Like what kind of weight goes on? Looks kind of like deadlifting but probably alot harder... man if u got time could u check this out im probably gonna get it this weekend, is it the right kind of chin-up bar i need for the upper back? http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

I WANT to do deads and squats but I can't. I know you have to work your legs for overall strength. I work my arms back shoulders and chest. I might start doing or at least try doing squats again. Still need to see my doc to get more advice about what to do first though.
    My Journal

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

If you don't do either because you don't want to then yes people will ignore you.

If on the other hand you can't do either because of a back injury (as you stated above), then that is fine. My comments about ignoring were for the curl jockey type.

However complaining about those people who say "deadlift and squat" does not accomplish much. First off they are giving the best advice (for those who are capable of such movements. )

I WANT to do deads and squats but I can't. I know you have to work your legs for overall strength. I work my arms back shoulders and chest. I might start doing or at least try doing squats again. Still need to see my doc to get more advice about what to do first though.
    You need to get this addressed. Your everyday, average person should be able to deadlift and do squats. If you have back issues, get them addressed rather than just sitting around hoping they'll go away - they won't, trust me I've had them too.

See a sports medicine doc if you can. Most general practitioners will just tell you to rest and/or take pain meds - that's fine if you're injured, but not fine if you need to strengthen the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_G
    debussy[/B]dont really see much point in deadlifting.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't knowbody want to lift no heavy ass weight."

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    You need to get this addressed. Your everyday, average person should be able to deadlift and do squats. If you have back issues, get them addressed rather than just sitting around hoping they'll go away - they won't, trust me I've had them too.

See a sports medicine doc if you can. Most general practitioners will just tell you to rest and/or take pain meds - that's fine if you're injured, but not fine if you need to strengthen the area.

Ya, I already did. My family doctor is a sports medicine doc. Have to go back to see him.
    My Journal

You can't even compare the 2. What if the guy with longer arms has more muscle and more body weight to support lifting the heavier load?

And what is your beef with curls and benching? I think anyone who lifts weights should be proud of themselves and ignore the crap people give with the squating and deadlifts. If anything that is getting old, is hearing that.
    2 things-
    1. If everything else is the same- Equal weight/strength, etc- then the shorter arm is more efficient. Of course there are too many other variables involved to say which will be stronger in a random comparison.

2. I don't care if he trains his legs, but doing nothing but bench and curls, and no back work creates some serious balance issues in shoulder musculature- and is a good way to make yourself more prone to injury. However, I do think that people who can train their legs OUGHT to do so, as neglecting mine when I started is something that I'm still trying to make up for 1 1/2 years later.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    2 things-
    1. If everything else is the same- Equal weight/strength, etc- then the shorter arm is more efficient. Of course there are too many other variables involved to say which will be stronger in a random comparison.

2. I don't care if he trains his legs, but doing nothing but bench and curls, and no back work creates some serious balance issues in shoulder musculature- and is a good way to make yourself more prone to injury. However, I do think that people who can train their legs OUGHT to do so, as neglecting mine when I started is something that I'm still trying to make up for 1 1/2 years later.
    I completely agree.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    I don't care if he trains his legs, but doing nothing but bench and curls, and no back work creates some serious balance issues in shoulder musculature - and is a good way to make yourself more prone to injury.
    This is a very good point. Take hamstring injuries. A good portion of pulled hamstrings are due to them being underdeveloped, compared to the quadriceps.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

It makes me happy when we're all happy and agreeing on things.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

w=fd