Thread: DB Bench Press ROM - go all the way down?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

DB Bench Press ROM - go all the way down?

With DB Bench Press, I always bring the DBs down to the sides of my chest as far as my chest stretches. But now I think that this may be a bad idea? Lol...it almost feels as if my chest is ripping each time I pump out a rep (similar to the way that Dips feel). I don't wanna get injured.

Should I not go as far down as my chest stretches?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Go down as far as you can, unless it causes pain to do so.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Yea, don't do something if it hurt. As for going all way down, I believe once your elbows pass your chest (90 degrees) it switches to Anterior deltoid. So it's up to you if you want to work shoulder in this exercise.

Alright. And no it doesn't cause pain, it just REALLY stretches my chest a lot with each rep.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

i basically bring down db as far as i would a bb.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Alright thanks.
    Lifting Journal