The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Is it easier for guys with short arms to lift weights than guys with long arms?

Ok guys im having a massive argument with my mate but is it true that shorter guys with small arms find it easier to lift weights than taller guys with long arms. I myself am sure its easier for shorter guys to lift weights but my mate is convinced that its easier for taller guys with longer arms to lift weights. If you got any links to any sites or wotever that prove me or him wrong and that is real good proof could you please let me know.... Or just tell me what you think, thanks...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bench Press and Pull-Ups are harder for guys with long arms. Deadlifts are easier for guys with long arms.

It's tough to make sweeping generalizations though - there are a lot of really strong men who are short and tall in just about every strength sport.

edit: Don't bother trying to 'prove' your mate wrong. If he doesn't have a basic knowledge of physics, he isn't going to understand anyway...
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-18-2005 at 07:43 PM.

k thanks, what about Barbell Curls thats what we been arguing about mainly and bench?

Jesus tap-dancing Christ!
    Enough with curling and benching!
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

...and for the record- curls will be easier with a shorter arm... physics and leverage and ****.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    ...and for the record- curls will be easier with a shorter arm... physics and leverage and ****.
    You can't even compare the 2. What if the guy with longer arms has more muscle and more body weight to support lifting the heavier load?

And what is your beef with curls and benching? I think anyone who lifts weights should be proud of themselves and ignore the crap people give with the squating and deadlifts. If anything that is getting old, is hearing that.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    And what is your beef with curls and benching? I think anyone who lifts weights should be proud of themselves and ignore the crap people give with the squating and deadlifts. If anything that is getting old, is hearing that.
    This is WannabeBig, not wannahavebigarmsandchest.

Every board or forum if up long enough, develops a culture. The prevailing view of this particular culture is if someone focuses on just arms and chest, he is not a serious bodybuilder or lifter. The reason we tell people to squat and deadlift is to help them reach their goals faster. But if someone doesn't want to squat or deadlift, and instead just benches and curls, most people generally will ignore him. That's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    You can't even compare the 2. What if the guy with longer arms has more muscle and more body weight to support lifting the heavier load?

2 things-
    1. If everything else is the same- Equal weight/strength, etc- then the shorter arm is more efficient. Of course there are too many other variables involved to say which will be stronger in a random comparison.

2. I don't care if he trains his legs, but doing nothing but bench and curls, and no back work creates some serious balance issues in shoulder musculature- and is a good way to make yourself more prone to injury. However, I do think that people who can train their legs OUGHT to do so, as neglecting mine when I started is something that I'm still trying to make up for 1 1/2 years later.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

thanks man this argument was getting out of hand lol

My mate still doesnt belive me he's like ' |-|?ʧ says:
    lol, leverage
    |-|?ʧ says:
    they just proved themselves wrong ' its really annoying me now i really want 2 prove him wrong. Hes a uni student aswell and thinks he knows everything.... how can i prove him wrong? lol

Banned
    ^professional troll

Out bench and curl him;
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Im not sure what that means built - bill yes i will even though im taller lol

I have a suggestion-
    Go find something heavy and hard- a brick, a cast-iron pan, a large ashtray- whatever, as long as it's hard and heavy but you can still swing it pretty easily.
    Pick it up, walk up to your friend, show him your heavy object, and tell him that he's wrong and a ****ing idiot. Then if he gives you any ****, you should smash his ****ing face in.
    And then take that opportunity to tell him that he's wrong again, so he can shut the **** up.
    I mean goddamn really.

Did I mention that my workout sucked today- so I'm a little hostile?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

lol man trust me hes really been pissing me off

LOL demon...
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

hammin'
    er that would be true...... assuming someone with longer arms has muscles that connect in a correspondingly advantageous position..... which is NOT the case
    W = f * d
    Longer arms move the weight further, doing more work than shorter arms.

So there, built :P
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    . nevermind
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-18-2005 at 11:08 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by trich daddy
    er that would be true...... assuming someone with longer arms has muscles that connect in a correspondingly advantageous position..... which is NOT the case
    W = f * d
    Longer arms move the weight further, doing more work than shorter arms.

So there, built :P

...that's exactly right. And the energy to perform that work has to come from somewhere.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Little, did you just start deadlifting? I find it really weird you can bench alot more than you deadlift...
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Lol nah im not really sure, all i can fit on the barbell is 70kg 155lbs. Whats the max u can bench canadian_cripler? not just for 1rep for 10reps ? i know u shouldnt really care or compare urself to others but i still like to know

Little_G, I workout with Canadian Crippler. He benches 245 x 10 x 3. What difference does it make?

Oh yeah, and why do you bench more than you deadlift?

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_G
    Lol nah im not really sure, all i can fit on the barbell is 70kg 155lbs. Whats the max u can bench canadian_cripler? not just for 1rep for 10reps ? i know u shouldnt really care or compare urself to others but i still like to know
    Not enough? :evillaugh

I do know that I DL about 185% of my bench though.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL