Thread: Rediscovering Supplemental Exercises

Rediscovering Supplemental Exercises

Occasionally, I manage to "rediscover" supplemental exercises that seem to add a lot to my training. You could say I'm just dumb to lose them in the first place, but hey, that happens when you get older...

Here are a few that I've "rediscovered" lately:

*Snatch-Grip Romanian Deadlifts: This exercise really is the ****. It hammers everything in the posterior chain. I don't hesitate to use straps on this so I can go heavy and I also don't hesitate to use a little more leg drive when things start to get too tough to maintain picture perfect form.

*Saxon Side Bends: This one too. You think you're getting pretty strong when you are doing regular side bends w. 120s, but then you pick up a pair of 10s, put them overhead and try some Saxons and it kicks your arse... Definately not an exercise that allows for arrogance.

*Lunges: If you are like me, you can very easily fall into the rut of just doing plain-old PL squats...ALL THE TIME. Not bad, but you're probably neglecting some things. The last time I "rediscovered" these, I figured 135 shouldn't be too bad - I was wrong.

*Close Grip Bench Press: I know, I know. You're all thinking "Huh? What kind of fool doesn't include CGBP?". That fool would be me... For me, chain work, band pushdowns, board press, etc. was just not giving me the base that CGBP gives. I won't make the mistake of eliminating them from my training ever again.

Why not snatch grip deads, period?

I don't see why doing romanians is particularly special, but pulling from the floor with a snatch grip wil increase ROM and the depth you have to drop.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Lunges will leave any man crying. I've been such a wimp this past month and haven't done them, but I really should start again.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Why not snatch grip deads, period?

I don't see why doing romanians is particularly special, but pulling from the floor with a snatch grip wil increase ROM and the depth you have to drop.
    Romanian DLs hit the hammies a lot more than regular deads. Doing them with a snatch grip will hit your rhomboids, rear delts, and traps in a way that platform RDLs (w. a regular grip) never could. That's why.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-03-2005 at 11:53 PM.

I'm going to try throwing in the saxon side bends... sounds like fun.

I'm with mixmasternash though... I'm not getting the difference between snatch grip rdl vs regular grip rdl. It just seems like snatch grip would be harder on the grip and maybe the traps/shoulder area.

Try them - heavy... with straps. I think you'll get the idea.

Btw, with my RDLs for reps, I try to control the eccentric part of the lift and just lightly tap the floor on each rep.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-03-2005 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Romanian DLs hit the hammies a lot more than regular deads. Doing them with a snatch grip will hit your rhomboids, rear delts, and traps in a way that platform RDLs (w. a regular grip) never could. That's why.
    Yeah, but that's true for snatch grip anything.

Hmmm. Maybe I will do snatch grip for everything today.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Can you guys explain to me side bends. I've never understood them or which muscles they hit.

Banned
    Yes, what are side bends? I did some 1-Arm DL's the other day for only the 2nd time ever. I imagine side bends are just like they sound -- sort of "1-arm stiffleg deads," that is, you don't bend at the knees to pick up the bar, but instead only bend at the obliques (which is what I need).

What's a respectable weight to lift for 1-arm DL anyway?

Side Bends (pic shows mirror images): http://www.proten.com/images/Wt-Exer...de%20bends.gif

They hit the obliques primarily.

One Legged DLs

I've had hamstring and lower back issues recently and I'm just starting back into training after a solid month of poop for training.

An exercise that I "rediscovered" last night was the one-legged deadlift w. dumbells. Three work sets of that and a couple of sets of hyperextensions has left my glutes wondering just what the hell happened last night...

To execute, holding two dumbells stand on one leg (the other leg raised and slightly behind you), lower the dumbells to the floor, touch, then rise up and repeat. It's ok to set your leg down if you lose your balance! Make sure to keep your back straight and head up throughout the movement.

Here's a description: http://www.ymcafitness.com/city/link...20deadlift.jpg