The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTF! i cant put any mass on?

Ok i'm not one of those whiners who says why cant i gain weight, but does nothing to gain weight.

I have been working out steady for 1 year, and have worked out previusly to that for 1.5yrs steadily with a 1 year break in between.

I have followed very strict workout routines, never skipping a workout. I go 3 times a week. Zero Cardio. Just weights. I have followed Wbb1 and more recently got a trainer who was a former national body builder.

I have a very strict diet. I am really into the the health scene and always track what i eat, and know what i'm eating.

I eat 5-6 moderate meals a day. I consume 1g of protein per Lb of body weight as a minimum. I get plenty of rest. Drink lots of water. Consume 1 shake everyday. (so thats 6-7 meals a day) take potent vitamins. I take Creatine and whey protein. I aslo consume a weight gainer.

I Literally spend hundreds on food, i eat so much, i cant really afford it.

My body weight is stuck at 170lbs. i'm 5'11.
    I squat 275lbs 3 sets of 8, my workout bench press is 175lbs, i leg press 675lbs 3-sets of 8.

My strength is way up there. My form is great. I'm training for the police in the back of my head, but i am so damn small.

I recently started trying to eat bad foods, to put on some mass. I at a box of 6 Ice cream sandwiches everynight after supper, for 10 days. NOTHING.

how is this possible?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

post your workout routine.

Post what you eat in a typical day.

Dude I eat a ****-ton of food, and I spend maybe $60-70 a week- that's including my $50 a month protein shake allocation, as well as the periodic dinner out.
    The answer is eat more. Buy cheaper food. Stop eating moderate meals and start force-feeding yourself. You get used to it, it's really only uncomfortable for a week or so.
    If everything else is in check, and you're not gaining weight, then there really isn't any other possibility.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy
    My body weight is stuck at 170lbs. i'm 5'11.
    I squat 275lbs 3 sets of 8, my workout bench press is 175lbs, i leg press 675lbs 3-sets of 8.

My strength is way up there. My form is great. I'm training for the police in the back of my head, but i am so damn small.
    You've been working out for a year and your bench press is at 175 lbs? You should be able to bench and squat quite a bit more. Are you certain that your routine is up to par?

Sorry but you don't have any other choice but to eat even more food. Then again maybe your metabolism is really really high and you need to eat less to get your metabolism back down. Of course that doesn't make sense because if you were eating so much that your metabolism got that high then you would HAVE to put on weight.

BTW gaining weight takes longer than 10 days...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Sorry but you don't have any other choice but to eat even more food.

That is the answer.
    Last edited by BCC; 08-20-2005 at 02:00 PM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I suspect that you eat way too much trash and you probably don't have a mass-building regimen. Junk food is far more expensive than good food, and you probably don't eat as much as you think. Post your diet for the past few days and some workouts.

food+deadlifts=growth
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Yeah, how much can you dead?

What are your calories like now? If you need more, eat more fat - it's very easy to slip in some extra calories with olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, avocados, egg yolks, butter...

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    $50 a month protein shake allocation.
    50 bucks a month? You can get 10 pounds of ON 100% whey for that. That's 144 serving!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I somehow suspect those are 1/2 ROM squats, how deep are they?

Yeah, eat more. Simple.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    50 bucks a month? You can get 10 pounds of ON 100% whey for that. That's 144 serving!
    My two shake mixes are about $4.50/lb and $3.50/lb for MRP and PWO, respectively. I buy 5 pounds of each, and shipping is roughly $9.
    Those 144 servings of ON are smaller than the ones I'm taking, as I take 40-50 protein-gram increments as servings.
    I also don't want it to be exclusively whey concentrate (which is what turned me off from ON initially). Granted, in the post workout I'm paying somewhat for cheap carbs, but that's fine.
    I drink 1-2 MRPs a day and 1-2 PWOs in addition on workout days.

It's more than I'd like to spend, but it's a nice alternative to eating more tuna.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Wannabebig Member
    Count up your total calories. One gram of protein or carbs has 4 calories. One gram of fat has 9 calories. What's your total?
    "It's all about the diet. If you eat like crap, expect to look that way."

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Eat more. What's not to understand? And yes, you can put on mass. You just aren't eating enough.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-20-2005 at 04:14 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh BDK
    I suspect that you eat way too much trash and you probably don't have a mass-building regimen. Junk food is far more expensive than good food, and you probably don't eat as much as you think. Post your diet for the past few days and some workouts.
    I'm thinking that he probably doesn't eat ENOUGH trash. Since he emphasized how much he's into eating healthy, he's probably not getting in enough cals

I've got the same problem. I need 5000 calories every single day to see any gain in mass. I can do it but I have to concentrate on eating, where I'm going to be, how I'm going to get enough food. Weight gainer shakes, milk, pasta and olive oil seems to be the staples of my calorie dense diet. Try drinking shakes right after or with a meal. There is no way around it, if you aren't gaining weight, you're not eat getting enough calories.

Man you're better off in the long run if you don't eat dirty, even if it means you're not gaining mass. You also said that you can barely afford to eat as much as you are now, so I guess you're a student. I've been there, trying to gain weight on a tight budget AND trying to eat healthy food. It didn't work. So what, I'd rather be healthy and maybe wait until I get really rich to start eating for mass. Until then, I'm happy with the muscles I have.

Oh and BTW, 170 at 5'11'' assuming you're really lean is already a nice amount of muscle. Chicks don't like much more of it. And if you're not really lean, then why don't you focus on that instead of desperately gaining mass... it'll make you more popular with the ladies assuming that's your goal and it's much cheaper obviously. You'll probably get fitter too in the process!

hammin'
    You've been working out for a year and your bench press is at 175 lbs? You should be able to bench and squat quite a bit more. Are you certain that your routine is up to par?
    Uh, he said his work sets are at 175 lbs for bench. And he's squatting 275 for 8 reps.... sounds fine to me.
    Last edited by trich daddy; 08-20-2005 at 08:12 PM.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

i do 3 sets of 8-10 @ 175lbs for bench, thats pretty good IMO. I dead lift 245lbs currently ( leary of a back injury ). My squats are the correct range of motion not 1/2 squats, i have great leg strength IMO. I do not eat trash as someone indicated, i just tried it for a few days.

I will post up my routine the next time i use the computer. as well as my diet, just wanted to reply to those points quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    That is the answer.
    :withstupi If you eat enough food you WILL gain weight. Whether it's fat, muscle or water is a different story.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

And don't start comparing lifting stats...If the guy is throwing up 175 or 275...what does it matter? Or if you are slinging 175, or 275? Does it matter?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    And don't start comparing lifting stats...If the guy is throwing up 175 or 275...what does it matter? Or if you are slinging 175, or 275? Does it matter?

Exactly.

No one should be telling him how much he should be lifting, it's BS like that which is why half the people are afraid to be honest about their lifts. Keep your damn opinions about how strong someone SHOULD be to yourself.

175 bench for working sets means he's benching a little more than his bodyweight many times, which is in my book

6 months ago I had trouble benching the bar, now I do 150 for reps.

The # of your lift is irrelevant, all that matters is progression.

MilliVanilli
    Foolishly, no one has asked this question yet.

If you're truly eating sufficient calories, are your lifts increasing?
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

Or perhaps the cure for human obesity lies in your genetic make up... a body that will use what it needs and toss the rest as waste after a certain level of fat retention (a healthy amount). That would be cool.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg