Thread: Everyone around the Phoenix area

Everyone around the Phoenix area

Hey guys and gals, I was just wondering who all lives in the Phoenix area? Also where are your favorite gyms, or what ones do you find allow you to really lift heavy?

I have been lifting at Pure Fitness in Central Tempe because of its location, and have worked out at the South Scottsdale locations. Both of these places are decent, but not quit the types of places one can really grunt and groan at. So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for gyms in the area that have a really good 'down and dirty' feel/atmosphere that is condusive to heavy lifting.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

Just moved from Scottsdale to Tucson. Was going to LA fitness up there. Went to the scottsdale location, tempe, and chandler one. Scottsdale one was kinda ****ty but close. The ones down here are nice.
    Nick V

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I live 2 hours from Phoenix and will be living there in a year or so.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

i live in the PHX area (actually in mesa) if your looking for a good gym check out some of the golds gyms. i myself lift at the one on gilbert and baseline. the one on country club and southern is nice. and if your looking to lift heavy they both got DBs that go up to 150lbs and a sh*t load of free weights and squat racks. never been to any others.

theres a Power house gym on university and rural ( Tempe area ) they are pretty hard core but close at 10pm which is to early for me.. you just gotta look around, i mean ive had memberships at pure fitness, (baseline and rural) la fitness, 24 hour fitness. and to be honest the best one ive been to so far is golds.

good luck finding a gym
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

I live in east mesa and I work out at the Gilbert/Southern LA fitness. I just moved up here about a month ago from Tucson, and I really don't recommend it. Not enough 20-50lb weights for single arm workouts, only one squat rack and only one 90 degree seat (whats the name for these?). The LA fitness in scottsdale and chandler are really good, and lots of cute girls. Lots of weights/benches/squat racks. I have worked out at the Gold's Gym in Ahwatukee and Mesa as well, and both were really nice equipment wise.

Let us know what gym you end up picking, I'd be interested to hear what your final pick is. =)

Good luck man.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

I live in central-west mesa along the tempe border. I go to 24 Hour Fitness on Elliot and ValVista.. real nice gym, but the db's only go to 125lbs... WTF?!?!? I'm going to be getting a membership at the Worlds Gym on Hayden and Thomas as I've heard that's a really good hardcore gym.

Golds is a great gym but too commercial these days, and if I ever see the District Manager on the street I'm going to snap his neck like a god damn twig.

BTW, the Ahwahtukee Golds Gym is the most hardcore Golds I've been to yet, so Mase if you're interested check that one out.

And all you muthafcukas that live here need to hit me up for a workout sometime!!! I've got VIP membership at 24hr fitness... VIP=I can bring someone with me for free whenever I go. I take mase with me pretty often, as well as other friends. I hate working out alone and I'm always up for a partner... send me a pm or something.

As far as a super duper hardcore gym, there's a place called Thornbecks off of McClintock and Curry just north of the 202. Take a left onto curry, then take the 1st left after the dealership and there's a cop station there. Take the first right and go to the end of the parking lot. It costs $2/day to workout there and its the 'dirtiest/hardcore' gym I've seen yet. SUPER old school. It basically looks like a trash dump.. but it's got equipment and weights... so can't be that bad.

I've got a few bros that workout at that Worlds Gym on Hayden and Thomas and they all say its a badass gym. People go there to get sh1t done, not stand around and look pretty. Jay Cutler even makes appearances there... lol...
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate the input. I am going to look into the Worlds on Hayden and Thomas and The Gold's gyms in the area. As I said I have been working out at Pure Fitness for the past year and a half or so, but the ASU kiddies are starting to get ot me. I think if some little bitch comes in and tries to unload my squat rack for curls one more time I am going to punch someone in the throat. The only good thing about PF recently has been all the ASU girlies coming back and the eye candy, though that just frustrates me sometimes.

I used to work out at Powerhouse but that place has changed. It is no longer Powerhouse and is now affiliated with some church or religious organization. Not that it is a bad thing but not something I particularly want to deal with.

Again, thanks for the input.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace