The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

CNS and muscle memory?

Any good links to and/or information regarding CNS and muscle strength? I know almost nothing about it. I'm so naive on the topic I can barely create a simple question.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3:16
    there been some good artiles on here by the likes of powerman. search with his name on it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-...ertraining.asp

"...by training to failure each time you train you are going set your nerve cells into a constant state of inhibition leading you to tax the CNS far to much through the increased out put of electrical impulses. This will lead to rapid overtraining. That leads to time off and bodily and mental states lacking motivation, appetite, etc. It also means that it is not always muscular failure which is occurring; more CNS failure, which means that your muscles are not being worked anyway so stimuli for growth is not being achieved every time you train.
    Couple muscular and neuro failure together and what do you get? Poor form and therefore poor training. Poor form leads to injuries and injuries lead to more time off.
    So, in conclusion to all this, muscular failure, be it concentric, eccentric or isometric, is not necessary to provide a growth stimulus. What is necessary are good form, continuous training, the build up of fatigue products and good diet and resting patterns. Fibres need sufficient training for microtrauma to be incurred causing the release of regenerative hormones to be released in the cells which leaches into the surrounding area as well as intracellular calcium levels to rise to trigger both growth and destructive processes (destructive to remove such substrates as lactic acid) without over taxation of the nervous system.
    I hope this demonstrates that the CNS is a vital part of your training and that by training to failure time and time again you will offset the positive effects of it with the negative effects. Once again I will iterate that I do believe that training to failure is a useful tool for growth stimuli, only not the only tool. "

That's hot...

Thanks, Built. Body, I'll search Powerman, thank you. I'm starting to plateau in the majority of my lifts and I need to figure out my problem.

Would it be wise to switch to a heavy week/light week split?

That or simply periodize the workout weekly, every few weeks, or just don't worry about rep'ing til failure. If you're using heavy weight and good form, you don't need to hit failure every time to encourage muscle growth.

Plateaus are a natural part of progression. As I've plateaud recently on some of my lifts, the first thing I looked at was my diet. I increased the # of calories I eat per day by a 300ish, and I am feeling confident about breaking through those plateaus.

Also, have you given yourself at least a little time off maybe? Try switching routines or swapping a few exercises if you've given your current routine enough time to show results.

just a few suggestions.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Take a week off and do a sh+tload of research, that way you'll be able to replan your attack with confidence. Nothing worse that meandering through a plateau without a solid strategy.

DJ

Referring to one of PowemanDL's threads I'm going to take one muscle at a time and change it up. For example, chest I will cut weight down to about 65%-70% of what I'm doing now and up set/reps to 3/10. I'm going to do this for at least one week on off and see how that goes.

Wierz, my diet isn't in check as to much I want it to be. I'm going to fiddle with that too.

reef, I'm going to certainly research this more. Taking a full week off isn't going to happen but I will cut a day out of my routine at least once within the next couple of weeks.

If I am going to go light today on chest should I up the volume to 3X10 from 2X8?