The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Workout routine question

I am 22 5'4" 140 pounds about 15% body fat. I have lifted off and on but havent had any serious workout routines since high school. I am looking to get start on a serious mass build workout routine and have a question about routines. I have looked at the 3 WBB routines on this site and I am considering them but have also seen some routines that are very different and wonder which one I should use to start. The routines on here to me dont seem like they would work the muscle hard enough to make serious gains but thats why I am asking. Compare those to the one I list below and let me know what you think. Also as far as abs go what should I do and how often?
    Thanks.

Day 1: Chest and back
    Flat Bench Press: 12,8,5, fatique
    Dumbell Press: 12,8,5, fatique
    Incline bench/dumbells or decline:12,8, fatique
    Chin Ups:to fatique x3
    Wide Dips:to fatique x3
    Dumbell Flys:12,8, fatique
    Rows:12,8, fatique
    Lat Pull:12,8, fatique
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
    Bicep Curls:12,8,5,fatique alternating between wide and narrow grip
    Alternating Dumbell Curls:12,8,5,fatique
    Alternating Concentration Curls:12,8, fatique
    Tricep Pushdowns: 12,8,5,fatique
    Narrow grip Dips:to fatique x3
    Scull Crushers: 12,8,fatique
    Cable Curls:12,8,5,fatique
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5:Shoulders/Legs
    Shoulder Shrugs:12,8,5,fatique
    Shoulder Flexion:12,8,fatique
    Shoulder Abduction:12,8,fatique
    Military Press: 12,8,fatique
    Leg Curls:12,8,5,fatique
    Leg Extenstion:12,8,5,fatique
    Squat:12,8,5,fatique
    Calf Raises:to fatique x3
    Day 6 and 7 rest:
    Last edited by capttrip; 08-21-2005 at 08:51 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You are overtraining chest. You are overtraining your biceps. I'd also say that might be too much work on the shoulders.

Honestly bud the reason we have WBB routines up is because they almost always work (I say "almost" because there's a possibility it hasn't worked for someone out there although I haven't heard of someone saying so). Your average person in the gym who isn't very knowledgeable will often do too many sets and will subsequently see very poor gains. Get it out of your head, you don't need to do that many sets.

15 sets for chest? I usually only do about 6 sets and have seen great gains. The chest doesn't consist of that many muscles ya know...
    And 13 sets for biceps? Jeeze I only do 4 or 5 sets for biceps.

Is that the order that you are going to do them in? I hope not. Squat shouldn't ever come after leg extension.

As for abs I would say just do something like 4 sets of weighted crunches in the 8-12 rep range and do some side bends for your obliques (2 or 3 sets of 8-12). You can also do some torso rotation exercises if you'd like.

On another note you if you want to gain size then you might want to decrease your repetition range just a tad. Try to keep it in the 8-10 rep range.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply...I have not started again with either routine yet but that would not be the order for it either. It seemed a little overbearing to me as well but the WBB seems a little light. If you want serious gains you really have to bring the muscles to fatique right? And it just doesnt seem like that would do it. Maybe if I had a few exercise to it or stick with one exactly? Which one would be the best also 1,2, or 3? And as a side note how long does it typically take to actually make noticible increases in mass around chest and arms? 2-3 months lead to a difference that can be easily seen or are we talking a 6 months to a year? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by capttrip; 08-21-2005 at 10:37 PM.

what gives you the notion that training to fatique (i think by fatique you mean training to failure) will give you serious gain? I mean how can you gain anything if every day that you workout you are completely deplete the muscle. Most beginners think that if they can no longer move that muscles, they had a great workout.

-- The majority like to stick with the 3-10 reps range for the purpose of bulking.
    -- Doing more exercises doesn't make you grow quicker.
    -- I do 2-3 exercises for bis/tris; 4-6 total sets each.
    -- you do have alot of chest exercises, your back seems suffered in comparison.
    -- If you have alot of exercises to do, do half this week, and half the next.
    -- noticible changes in mass would be depended on your training method, how you eat, rest, sleep, and eat. However most beginners may be able to see progress after the first 2 weeks of training.

-- Everyone learns best from experience, so go ahead and try your routine for 2 months. If you're making progress, continue. If you're not, come back and talk to us. Even if you're not gaining anything for that 2 months, you would still gain 2 months worth of experience. =)

Wannabebig Member
    Is each muscle group once a week ideal?

Quote Originally Posted by capttrip
    Is each muscle group once a week ideal?
    No, not really. Unless you're a 250lb pro BB who needs to shred his muslces with 9,000 sets a day, no.

Especially getting started, you're going to make better gains by training each group twice a week provided you don't overtrain, and get plenty of recovery time and good foods to rebuild those muscles.

You might be best off with a simple upper day and lower day for a while, until you're a little more conditioned. At that point you'd be ready to graduate to a 3 day split routine.

Quote Originally Posted by capttrip
    If you want serious gains you really have to bring the muscles to fatique right? And it just doesnt seem like that would do it. Maybe if I had a few exercise to it or stick with one exactly? Which one would be the best also 1,2, or 3?
    That is a common problem bro. You need to get the notion out of your head that you need to "fatigue" your muscles all the time. Most experienced lifters here finish their workouts knowing that even though they are NOT fatigued, they still worked their muscles correctly.

You don't need to be sore and don't need to fatigue your muscles to see gains.
    BTW I recommend WBB1. I used a very close modified version to it and saw good gains. In fact I'm still using it...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me