The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Trying to figure out a good diet for myself....

Hey everyone, I am back at college, and I'm trying to put together a good diet.

I am the lowest weight that I have ever been, I'm not sure exactly, but I was about 195 when I came up to school 3 weeks ago and I think I've lost a little since I've gotten here. I'm going to weight tonight and then let you know so I can help further. But anyways....

I have an account on Fitday.com, and I just need to figure out how many Cals/Proteins/Fats, etc. to consume each day for a CUT diet.

Like others wanting to cut, I lost a lot of weight and now want to tone up. I went from 285, to wherever I am now in about a year doing weight watchers. I have been lifting religiously since about January. I have muscle underneath, but I can't see my abs, and I have unwanted fat on my chest/waist/legs.

I train 4-5 days a week. Monday/Wednesday/Friday upper body. Tues/Thurs. lower body, lifting that is. For the past 2 weeks I've been doing cardio as well 5 days a week, 15 min. exercise bike, 15 minutes stair climber at high levels. So far, I'm not getting too tired from this.

Supplement wise, I take a multivitamin, Fish Oil, and Thermorexin, once I find out how many cals/proteins, I'm going to take my protein again.

I would like to get down to about 170 if possible, and then I will look at bulking. I have been doing it the wrong way so far, pretty much eating barely anything, and I realize this is going to make me look puny, so I want to stay chiseled, but lose fat.

I got some good advice before from Built and others, but I changed up my thoughts a little bit so I hope the experts on this board have enough to work with from my information.

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

right you need to find you maintanance cals first. eat at say 2500 cals for a week or 2 and see if you gain or loose weight. once you find the right amount of cals you need to stay the same weight deduct say 300-500 cals and you will start to loose fat. aim for atleast 1/1.5g of protein to every pound of bodyweight and atleast 0.5g of good fats per pound of bodyweight the rest carbs and protein
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

When calculating these nutrition goals do I use current weight or goal weight?
    Cause sometimes you just feel tired.
    You feel weak and when you feel weak you feel like you wanna just give up.
    But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
    and just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up
    and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.
    My Fitday

Use LBM if you know it, or go by 90-100% of goal weight if you don't. It'll be close enough.

You might find it easier to diet if you target your carbs around your lifts, and keep the rest of your meals lower carb and higher fat. That's how I do it, and it's the only thing that makes it manageable.

You can use fitday and a bathroom scale to help you determine how many calories your body burns. You should target losing no more than one pound per week (500 cal deficit per day) and you should lift HEAVY but probably less often than you're doing now. I'm assuming you're doing the same exact upper body routine 3x per week--that's too much for most people. Lifting 3-4 times per week (once per week per body part) is arguably better than what you're doing.

I personally like the benefits of cardio but it obviously only helps in conjunction with a proper diet. Managing your intake is arguably more important for losing weight.

Congrats on what you've lost so far. You have a lot to be proud of.

--Steve

I think 5 days of lifting a week, especially 3 upper days, is too much. browse the bodybuilding forum for some better split ideas, or start a thread there for help tweaking your routine.

Sounds good so far, when you say a 500 calorie deficit. Does that mean, if I eat 1500 cals, i need to burn 2000? I'm confused. The thing is, I think it's going to even be hard to eat 1500 cals today, I'm at 993 right now with just supper left. I've been eating pretty scantily lately so that's why I'm doing this, but I just can't see me fitting over 2000-2500. It makes me feel like I ate too much.

I have yet to lift today, but I did the exer. bike for 18 min. on level 12 out of 20, and it said I burned 205 cals. And I did the stair stepper on level 10/10 for 15, and that said I burned 275. Is it just that easy, just subtract those from my calorie intake and that's where I'm at?
    Last edited by ShadyRensch; 09-21-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.
    My Fitday

Well I can guarantee for the last week I've never hit 2000 until the weekends, when I may dine out. Using Thermorexin just doesn't make me very hungry. I can get by very easy without eating a ton. That leads me to my next question, I'm at college and 6 meals is pretty much not gonna happen with my schedule, so it's ok to do it in 3 or 4 meals right?
    My Fitday

Oh, I'm sorry, well this is the first time I've really set a strict calorie counting diet, so I'm not sure really. I just want to make sure I don't gain any weight and to cut fat off.
    My Fitday

Today with supper I had 30 grams fat, 126 protein, 1213 cals. I'll prolly have a snack after I lift.
    My Fitday

Okay. I'll assume about 160g LBM? More? Make sure you get in at least 160g protein and 80g fat per day.
    You will likely lose muscle otherwise.

LBM? Sorry, I'm not the best at all this...I have a class now from 6-9, but I'll check it when I get back. Any other suggestions are awesome.
    My Fitday

LBM-lean body mass
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Eat more. One thing I found is you may crash. While it maybe easy at first, it will catch up to you. My LBM is around 180. I was cutting on 2100 cals or so and while doing tons of cardio, and sticking to it was easy at first, after awhile it was mentally and phyiscally draining. Now I shoot for ~2500 cals a day which is probably still low for someone who weights ~200lbs. I notice after about day #5 I start to feel it in my daily activities. Sleepy, no energy in the afternoons, always hungry, etc. After a refeed/cheat I can go about 5 more days before cheating again. Now at the 2500 cal mark I'm on day 7 without cheating, and feeling decent.

Cutting/dieting is not a quick process. I got to the point where I wanted to lose the last few pounds quickly. There is no good reason to eat that little. Getting there quicker won't be the correct way. Figure 1lb a week.
    Nick V

Ok, so I weighed myself tonight. 193. 6 feet tall. So around 2000 cals a day or so would be ok?
    My Fitday

You tell us.

Basically, you take your maintenance calories and drop 'em by about 15%.

If this works out to 2000 cals, then that's what you eat.

Alright, thanks Built, you've always been a great help. Thanks to everyone else as well.
    My Fitday