Thread: Raw eggs and protein amount

Wannabebig Member

Raw eggs and protein amount

1) Does anyone here eat their eggs raw? No boiling, frying, etc, just cracking it and gulping down? I have been doing this for quite some time now (been very busy) and was wondering, are raw eggs healthier than boiled eggs? Also, how much protein and Fats does a typical raw egg contain?

2) How do we know the protein shake we buy contains *so and so* amount of protein per serving? Is it really accurate?

1)Raw?Me?-No...
    Healthier? -No way...
    Info:8g Protein/7g Fat/0,6g carbs

2)Accurate?
    -No one knows.

Raw eggs...can anyone say salmonella?
    Most reputable manufacturers have decent quality control. What they say is in the bottle will be for the most part. Don't trust the smaller, lesser known companies though.

You could get cartons of raw egg whites...they are pasteurized and have no risk of salmonella. Even with raw eggs the risk of salmonella is low...you can reduce that even further by examining the egg first...if it looks like it may have a pinhole in it then leave it for cooking or throw it out...if an egg is completely sealed you cannot get salmonella from it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Approximately 1 in 10,000 eggs has salmonella.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Yeah, but how much would it suck to eat that one?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Depends.

For a healthy adult, you could be pretty sick for a couple of days.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

MACHINE
    My mother always used to put raw egg whites in the protein shakes she made me when I was younger. I don't know about eating them raw alone , but they WILL NOT change the taste of your favorite shake. Salmonella is a very very very very minimal risk with raw eggs as previous posts explain.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

you can get salmonella from raw eggs.. iv'e got it a few times.. not fun

at least microwave them a little first or something

Your mom made you protein shakes?

Wannabebig Member
    Afew years back I got a VERY bad case of Salmonella from raw eggs. Let me tell you, it's not worth the risk. lost almost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. For some reason it took forever to clear my system. The doc didn't understand it either.

Wannabebig Member
    Just cook the eggs, me my gf and kid all got food poisoning last week, lasted for 2 days. It was not from raw eggs, but it really is not worth it.
    If you eat 2 raw eggs a day then you have about a 1 in 14 chance or getting salmonella per year, assuming that 1 in 10,000 eggs will give it to you.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by heathj
    Your mom made you protein shakes?
    Yeah, when I was younger. Of course, she didn't realize it, she just thought it was something healthy for me to have. My parents never fed me junk. Here's her recipe:

16 oz milk
    1 banana
    4 egg whites
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    vanilla extract

If it's too thick, add some water. They taste so fricken good.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I wish mine did shiat like that

the effects of salmonella poisening arent that big are they? at least not in a healthy young person for as far as ive heard...

i boil them either way as they taste better and protein gets absorbed better

I have 2 whole raw eggs every day in a milk shake. Never had Salmo, just check the egg for any pinholes...

Wannabebig Member
    2) How do we know the protein shake we buy contains *so and so* amount of protein per serving? Is it really accurate?

Basically unless the company making the shake is scamming consumers, the amount of protein shown per serving is an average based on production samplings sent to testing labs (assuming the company is "reputable").

I used arnolds shake for a while, that was...

raw eggs
    skim milk powder
    milk
    OJ

I think anyway. wasn't too bad, you had to get used to it tho.
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

but not that small either
    Gino, your parents are cool. My mom thinks whey protein is bad because it's not a "natural source of protein", that really pisses me off cuz that's false. She's just ignorant, thats all.
    Last edited by notSoBig Guy; 12-23-2001 at 03:08 PM.
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest