The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my bench is horrible

thats right, my bench is an embarassment to what ive been reading on this PL forum. im fine with my deadlift and squat numbers, but im having a hell of a time trying to jump my bench numbers.

heres my current PR and i been going at it for 3 months about.

bench: 185lb x 4 reps

200lbs, 5'7, 19 M

you can see i dont go for max reps since i want to build some muscle and strength. but i was told triceps is one of the greater areas to concentrate on to improve bench so therefore, i had a dedicated tricep day once in a while. so im here seeking advice on what specific exercises you do to boost the bench digits?

thanks
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 08-26-2005 at 01:07 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    ive been working out for almost 4 years. i bulked up from 155 to 205, back down to 185, and now back up to 200. i've struggled with flat bb bench for a long time as well. for 3 years my max was 225 x 1. i finally hit 250 last winter. i hit 270 today, and i finally feel slightly respectable. but in reality i won't be happy until i hit 3 plates. that's a decent bench.

3 things really helped me...

1. EATING!!!!
    2. Superdrol (I'm on a 4 week cycle)
    3. Having days where i just do a few sets of heavy bench in between chest days.

I would say focus on EATING!!!! Never stop shoving food in your mouth and benching. Also, work on your grip and form. It won't hurt to improve your tricep strength... and also remember speed = power. work on pressing with some force behind it.

just my 2 copper coins...

Why are you so deadset on getting stronger in the bench? Develop overall pressing strength and test out the bench on occasion.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Doing pushups will definately help with your bench if you are that worried about it. I said this before and I will say it again, some of the best powerlifters that I know at the high school level do sets of 20 pushups when they are watching television and a commercial comes on. Do those all the time and you will improve your bench.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

A pushup isn't exactly what your going to want to work with, once you get past noobie gains. All the pushups in the world wont make much a difference once you start getting close to pressing your bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    Doing pushups will definately help with your bench if you are that worried about it. I said this before and I will say it again, some of the best powerlifters that I know at the high school level do sets of 20 pushups when they are watching television and a commercial comes on. Do those all the time and you will improve your bench.
    Hmmm... I've never met anyone benching more than 225 who got much from push-ups...

I'm not saying push-ups are worthless and I think I remember reading an article about Fred Boldt(?) doing pushups in his training, BUT there are a lot of other things that would probably be more productive and time & effort-efficient as far as boosting your bench. Namely: close grip bench, upper back work, and technique work (grip width, arch, upper back tightness, leg drive).

4-6 sets of 4-6 reps, or 5X5 + a lot of food = your bench numbers going up
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    My bench sucks too. My best bench has been only 215 for reps, but lately that 215 has eluded me. I'm repping at 205. I'm also dieting down, so something's got to give. I know this. Once I lose the excess blubber and can go on a bulk, I'll bet my bench will improve. But for now, I just don't want to lose ground.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    4-6 sets of 4-6 reps, or 5X5 + a lot of food = your bench numbers going up

Hear hear.

You're not strong enough yet to bother breaking up the parts of the bench (triceps, delts, etc). Just get stronger overall.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Your squat is more "pathetic" than your bench, to be honest.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    Are you gonna sit here and put this in every thread...It Don't work! Its pointless...you reach a point where a pushup is worthless...I could do 50 and not feel a thing...Its pointless...Damn

Banned
    if you wanna improve your bench you gotta eat alot,Bench heavy all the time and if you are looking to improve your 1RM (it works for me...) stick to low reps...What is your one rep max as of the moment? Because if you tell my that I can give you a good benching set up. It was designed by a pro football player who benches like in the 400s RAW. Also from personal experiance I know I am improving everyworkout with that program

Realy can you tell me about it, I wanna add a couple more digits to my bench. My 1rm is around 245lbs.

Numbers look about in proportion to me. Squat seems lower than bench.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Banned
    Yeah hold up I'll go get my chart...Errr I'll just PM the workout to you

Why don't you post it Gutz?

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    post it!!

i wanna try it

bench: 270 x 1 @ 195
    deads: 425 x 1 @ 187
    squat: 410 x 1 @ 205

i want to get my bench in the 300's

Banned
    Its really long and alot to try to type out...

It's yours to share or not as you will, but if you're going to type it out for a PM, couldn't you just cut and paste it?

Banned
    Yes sir I could but I gave it to him for his 1RM specfically see the paper I got don't got percentages just weight and reps hows this later tonight I'll type it all out as for right now I gotta go bench myself wish me luck

I think we're all smart enough to extrapolate things from either weights or %s...

You wanna be nice and do the math for us then.

Banned
    Hope you werent refering to me...because I can't...I can barley count I hate math

I agree. Your squat looks worse than your bench. 185x4 is not THAT bad. Just keep at it, bench heavy. If you are looking to improve your single rep max, you have to work on heavy singles. Do multiple sets of 3's then work your way up to multiple sets of singles. You should go up 5 lbs every 2 weeks or so for a while. Also, do some lockout work, dips, and close-grips, too. You'll get your numbers up.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

thanks for the replies all.

yeah, my squats are pretty horrible as well. i been squating for about 1.5-2 months now and im looking forward to jump up to at least 260lb x3 by the end of the year.

Gutz, i never did 1 rep max on bench, but tomorrow is my chest/tri day and ill see what my max is then ill let you know.
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 08-28-2005 at 03:10 PM.