Thread: My legs hurt when I do rows.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

My legs hurt when I do rows.

I like doing Yates Rows. http://www.stumptuous.com/badrow.html <-- Scroll down about halfway. To execute the movment, you have to start in a quarter-squat position, and this kills my legs as I'm literally just "squatting" there for 8-10 reps. Sometimes it feels like my legs are going to give out before my back does. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

hammin'
    Sometimes my hammies get tired during a set of T-bars.... work through it and stop whining :P
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Mint
    It's normal. You'll adjust. Keep rowing!
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Squat more ...it'll get easier.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

how much are you rowing Fix?

Only like 85-95 lbs, but it hurts my legs in that position.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-29-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Stumptuous has a great site. Thanks for reminding me of her.
    I think i learned the form for STDL from that site and from you. hahaha

Yeah I do think her site is pretty cool.
    Lifting Journal

hey fix how about this.. when you perform that exercise. rest your ass or lean on a pole or a wall to take some pressure off of your legs.

Alright thanks I might try that.
    Lifting Journal

I can't tell you how many people (men and women) I've referred to that site for good, no BS lifting information.

KRISTA SMASH!!!
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

the kid from oz
    i do these rows too man and it hurts my quads after doing 8 reps and especially when u have to hold not just yourself but extra weight that you are lifting, just squat, it will get easier

You are doing something wrong. You are bending your legs too much.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    With that in mind, do you guys think it matters how much you bend at the knees? I find if I bend a bit more and kinda "sit back" I feel it alot less on my LB and can focus on the actual movement. Is this any different than say, keeping knees almost straight?
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 08-30-2005 at 08:10 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Ok, looked at the link you provided. You are doing them wrong!

The woman is having you perform a shrug combined with a static squat??? Lol, that is horrible!

Let me give you a picture of the man himself doing the movement. You will note he leans forward more at the beginning and then straightens his back a bit at the end of the movement. He looks NOTHING like that woman doing the movement and I promise you he never worried about his legs giving out first.

Keep your lower back arched but definitely lean over a bit more and don't bend your legs quite as much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!