The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Anyone here do yoga as well as lift weights?

Hi everyone!
    So how many of you do yoga and weights?
    Benefits,helps etc....?
    Aside from that feel gross after eating french fries ,cake and too much champagne last night at a wedding.....at one of the most beautiful places on Earth..[Half moon Bay on the Sunshine Coast in B.C....hell I LIVE here and thought it was spectacular!]
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not me...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Actually, yes. At least one time so far anyway. I took a yoga class at the Y thinking it would help get me more flexible (it does). But it also kicked my ass in that I was sweating like an animal, and was quite sore the next day. It really is a good workout... different... and it has it's place in any workout regimen. It is NOT a wussy workout. I plan to continue.

Yoga kicked my ass, and if I could fit it in, I would. A new Yoga place just opened down the street from me -- I may try to get in there once a week.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul-Thanks for the reply..
    What exactly about it worked for you?
    as an addition to a weightlifting regime did it help in terms of size,definition,strength...or just because it was something different?
    Thanks...
    -Babajii Indian Guru

I tried a yoga class once and I was surprised at how similar it was to lifting - the whole thing was about form and breathing. I didn't mind it, but I already live in the gym. I don't have time for another workout.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I would really like to incorporate yoga into my life, but like others have said, I don't think I can fit it into my already busy schedule.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

i tried yoga a few times it was quite hard!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I thought yoga was for sissies, but don't knock it 'til you try it, that's what I've learned. Yoga is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by vanfreak
    Paul-Thanks for the reply..
    What exactly about it worked for you?
    as an addition to a weightlifting regime did it help in terms of size,definition,strength...or just because it was something different?
    Thanks...
    I only did it once. I, like many, thought yoga was just some new age crap about energy and static stretching, holding silly poses that some guy in Bangladesh or something thought up.

However, when I took the class, I found that not only is yoga quite challenging, the work seemed that it would be an excellent compliment to lifting, specifically to improving GPP, mobility, and flexibility. Might not be the right thing for everyone, but certainly worth checking out.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

what about pilates

Well you know, pilates are a great way to build long, lean muscles... ugh.
    I think it's probably decent training for your core, if you don't mind spending a ton of time on the floor doing inefficient exercises instead of spending less time doing stuff that works better.

As far as yoga goes- I went to a froo-froo granola too much money pseudo-hippy private school up through 8th grade. We did yoga in class for a few months, and I actually ended up really enjoying it. I'd probably add it in again if I had the time, as I could really use the stretching, but I'd say the odds of me going to classes somewhere are basically nonexistent.
    My girlfriend's old roommate teaches yoga at the gym at Carolina, so maybe I could just get her to show me some stuff and then I could add it in once or twice a week at my leisure. Right now, I'm kind of more concerned with getting in my lifting, HIIT, eating and sleeping, though.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Banned
    I'm not a big fan of yoga for strength, but flexibility is a good thing

personally, I prefer pilates; typically I use pilates through the winter months when it is cold and snowy up here in Canada... pilates is very much about sort of doing things for 'reps', which I identify with moreso than the static poses common in yoga; I also feel that it is excellent for core strength and diaphragmatic breathing

GAIAM has a nice beginner series DVD/VHS for pilates

in either case (yoga or pilates), I feel that the benefits are:
    - replaces other ab work you may be doing
    - is a nice substitute for running/other cardio
    - promotes flexibility as well as the activation of some muscles that may not get much work with traditional lifting
    - is good for body awareness and proprioception
    - is something you can do with a chick (I do pilates with my wife)

there is also a DVD series out there with workouts based on the NYC ballet school; these kicked my ass even more than yoga/pilates
    Last edited by Relentless; 08-22-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Doesn't Pilates require that torture device looking thing?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Doesn't Pilates require that torture device looking thing?
    You mean this?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    You mean this?
    LOL.

Any workout scheme that requires a fancy, expensive device is one I try to avoid.

This is ridiculous:

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    nope

pilates requires a floor, and a human being at least for the basic stuff

(mat on the floor is optional, but nice to have if the floor isn't carpeted)

the machines and stuff are used in some places and have a history with the technique but you don't NEED them to get the basic benefits

they have changed DVDs but the one I have is similar to this one

all the machines really do are to add resistance for some manoevers and to force proper form for others... IMHO unecessary if you are also resistance training in addition to doing pilates mat workouts
    Last edited by Relentless; 08-22-2005 at 10:55 AM.

personally, i find that i'm a good all-round athlete. i have good endurance. i lift weights. i play sports. but my flexibility sucks. i'm looking to improve that aspect. come september, I'm going to join either a yoga class or pilates. which is best for flexibility?

my opinion of a good athlete is someone with: strength, endurance, flexibility, agility and stamina
    Last edited by spanky33; 08-22-2005 at 11:01 AM.

well its been one week since I took up basic Yoga-and man very happy with it as a compliment to lifting.
    I CAN SEE MY FREAKIN' ABS AGAIN!!!!!
    As Paul stated it is much more challenging than one would think, in some cases its HARD-but it is a real compliment to lifting,I highly recommend it....
    -Babajii Indian Guru

funny enough i was just talking to a friend of mine who's also a bodybuilder and she just took up yoga and tells me it's quite a task i BELIEVE IT!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    LOL.

Any workout scheme that requires a fancy, expensive device is one I try to avoid.

This is ridiculous:
    that man is very toned, i want to be just like him.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

that man is very toned, i want to be just like him.
    The word "toned" is heresy around these parts.

I have tried yoga and oilates and just can't seem to get into either of them... but my new obsession is with bellydancing! I highly recomend it (at least for some fun!) I get bored with the same old stuff day in and day out and I took a lmini class with a friend a while ago!

Damn I Love Asian Chicks tidusffx's Avatar
    Anyone do yoga at home? If so can you suggest a good beginner DVD?

The guy with the biggest mouth usually has the smallest ROM