The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Pros and Cons of Hex Dumbbells

I am considering purchasing some hex dumbbells, 5lbs through 50lbs. I have plenty of plates and dumbbells for weights higher then that as I have heard that for anything over 50lbs the hex aren't the best way to go.

I just hate having to load and unload my dumbbells all the time for the lower weights, especially when I am trying to "run the rack". Any opinions on the hex dumbbells would be appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I didn't have any particular problem with them when I used them in school. They worked the same for me as any other.

DJ

At my school gym, we have "round" weights; they are almost all a rubber material so they are quiet and don't chip or rust. Quite nice, but I can bet they aren't cheap...

--Dan.

I don't think there's any huge advantage or disadvantage to using hex dumbells compared to any other solid dumbell. Here are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

*The hex ones are less likely to roll away or roll off a bench.
    *The hex ones have sharper edges.
    *You can use the hex dumbells to anchor bands, your feet, do pushups on, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I don't think there's any huge advantage or disadvantage to using hex dumbells compared to any other solid dumbell. Here are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

*The hex ones are less likely to roll away or roll off a bench.
    *The hex ones have sharper edges.
    *You can use the hex dumbells to anchor bands, your feet, do pushups on, etc.
    I think he was mostly asking about solid vs. changable, not hex vs. round, buit yeah hex can be useful.

I would like some solid DBs too!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I saw these nice rubber dumbells ar fitness depot but theyre too pricy and they feel too light for what it says on the side(conspiracy?).
    Last edited by ROMANMAN; 08-30-2005 at 11:36 AM.

My faithful hex 20s are all I have for weights at home. In the time I've had them I've used them to work out, hold up a bookshelf, calibrate scales, sledgehammer things, kill spiders (I hate spiders), and other tasks where having something solid, small, and heavy is useful. They're even near the bed so I'm guessing if someone broke into my apartment I could throw one at them. Probably wouldn't tickle.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    My faithful hex 20s are all I have for weights at home. In the time I've had them I've used them to work out, hold up a bookshelf, calibrate scales, sledgehammer things, kill spiders (I hate spiders), and other tasks where having something solid, small, and heavy is useful. They're even near the bed so I'm guessing if someone broke into my apartment I could throw one at them. Probably wouldn't tickle.
    wow.. remind us again which apt is yours.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

The one that gets a hex 20 thrown at your chest if you break into it.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    I like hex dumbells better because when you do any pressing you can rest them on you with the flat side.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

As you all know these little buggers aren't cheap so I wanted to make sure I wasn't over-looking something.
    I hear ya; I've paid $.50 a lb (well, .49 cents) on all the dumbbells I've bought (10lbs through 40lbs in 5lb increments); I've got a little money in my weights.

It sucks cause now I just use my school gym; money wasted I guess (till summer).

--Dan.
    Last edited by DannyboyXJ; 08-30-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks for the input everybody. As you all know these little buggers aren't cheap so I wanted to make sure I wasn't over-looking something.

ShockBoxer, I have a 15" hunting knife in my night stand for anybody stupid enough to break into my house but the dumbbells would work well too. LOL

The cheapest I have found them here is $.69/lb for 5-50 lbs I am looking at roughly $400.00 after taxes!! Crazy!

I have well over 1500 lbs in free weights now but I have always condsidered equipment an investment, an investment in my health. Un-like so many things today this stuff will last forever (most of it) and can be passed on over and over. I still have some of my Dad's old plates and bars.

To me it's money well spent but it's still hard to swallow the prices!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman09
    I still have some of my Dad's old plates and bars.

To me it's money well spent but it's still hard to swallow the prices!
    Same here; When I'm at home, I work out on my dad's bench that he had from college (over 20 years ago). It looks almost brand new since he bought it and didn't lift on it all that much. Plus it has extentions, incline, preacher, dip, leg ext, etc.

Not a bad all-in-one type of thing plus it still uses all freeweights.

I guess I got lucky; all I had to do was buy some dumbbells.

--Dan.

Very lucky! My Dad really only had a few dumbbells, plastic plates and a couple barbells. No benches or anything. I have been adding to my home gym for years, a little here, a little there. I can never seem to have enough free weights though, LOL The woman would say different, LOL She figures I have everything I need, I just tell her I will stop buying gear when she stops buying shoes, so I am good to go for life now. LOL