Thread: I want to start doing GPP, but I don't have any equipment.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

I want to start doing GPP, but I don't have any equipment.

I don't have any GPP equipment though (tires, sleds, sandbags, sledgehammers). So, how should I go about doing it? And if I did have equipment, I've never organized a GPP routine before.

Is there a place I can buy GPP equipment? What should I do?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-28-2005 at 08:25 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

There is no such thing as GPP equipment. There is only stuff that you happen to use to do GPP.

do you see anything heavy nearby? Pick it up and carry it around.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Mint
    Go to home depot and buy a 20 pound bag of sand. Put that bag into a duffle bag and have lots of GPP fun.

Home Depot / Lowes will be the place to go for all your GPP needs.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

You don't need anything to improve your general physical preparedness.

I think you need to read up on what that means.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Join a league sport, like soccer, flag football, softball, etc. Then use that as a guage to your GPP. Plus the extra physical activity will help you with the process. It will make you train for a purpose.

DJ

Oh. Well I want to use heavy things and carry them around like the strong men do. I don't have any heavy stuff that I could use though.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    Join a league sport, like soccer, flag football, softball, etc. Then use that as a guage to your GPP. Plus the extra physical activity will help you with the process. It will make you train for a purpose.

DJ
    This is the best advice regarding GPP. Not enough lifters play sports and not enough, er, sports players lift weights.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I don't know if there are any sports that I could join at the moment. I used to do sprinting, but is that enough to increase my GPP? I read Anthony's Journal and basically I want to do the stuff he does.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    I don't know if there are any sports that I could join at the moment. I used to do sprinting, but is that enough to increase my GPP? I read Anthony's Journal and basically I want to do the stuff he does.
    Don't you have any soccer leagues or flag football leagues near you? Or lacrosse? Or fall softball? Or basketball at the Y? Maybe a tennis league, or raquetball at the local club?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Not that I know of.
    Lifting Journal

2 words ---- Kung Fu

DJ

Push your car around a parking lot. pick up your dad/brother/friend and carry him around. Be creative. Stop thinking and lift!

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I don't know if I'm strong enough to push a car. And if I was, doesn't that ruin the car at all?
    Lifting Journal

And btw, at the moment I'm lifting weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Do you guys think I should do GPP work on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday?
    Lifting Journal

Curious - What's the point of this gpp work?

Basically, to develop strength and speed in a cardiovascular way.
    Lifting Journal

Run. Hike with a pack. Do pylometrics. Do crossfit. Do HIIT. Fight wild animals.

lol...alright man thanks. I think after being stubborn enough, I now know that pretty much anything will do for GPP? What do you mean by crossfit though?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-29-2005 at 09:57 PM.
    Lifting Journal

crossfit.com

If you need inspiration for cross training and fitness, here it is, from the Camp Pendleton Mud Run: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...hb-mudrun.html

lol.
    Lifting Journal

join american football.

i weightlift monday, thursday and saturday - and play football wednesday and sunday. it works great for me. i went from 231lbs to 205lbs.

riprogrammazione
    Look into kettlebell routines. Wait, I may have something for you...

I recently did the car pushing thing for a couple of girls broke down on one of the farm roads leading up to our office. I can tell you, without question, that is one of the most intense workouts I've ever had. It took 10 minutes for my pulse rate to drop back to normal, and jacked me up for a couple of days. I definitely plan on working that into my routine after I get through with the softball tournament this weekend.

DJ