The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Journals

Your Journals

I'm curious about something that isn't discussed very often: gym journals. I've always just scribbled down my exercises, weight, sets and reps on a piece of paper inbetween sets while at the gym. But I am very dedicated with this, and I always record what I do. The funny part is that I only see maybe 2 or 3 other people using a journal while at the gym and that is it. I would like to know what you all use to record your progress while at the gym. Do you record during your workout, after? Do you use a chart to record on or do you use a spiral notebook? Or do you just memorized everything you do and dump it all into your online journal when you get a chance? Are you dedicated and record every single workout? Just curious what everyone else does...
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i record every single workout!

i have a plain notebook
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I started off not recording anything, then I brought a clip board with me, now I don't record anything anymore. I find recording the stuff was helpful, but I just can't be bothered. I try to remember what I did last time I was there.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    I started off not recording anything, then I brought a clip board with me, now I don't record anything anymore. I find recording the stuff was helpful, but I just can't be bothered. I try to remember what I did last time I was there.
    Same here, I really don't have a problem remembering even though I lift 4 times a week; it's not that hard.

I might start writing things down though...

--Dan.

You might remember what you did last week, but what about 6 months ago? It's always a good idea to keep a record.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

why does it really matter what you did 6 months ago?....isnt the idea just to be always moving up in weight?

I understand an exception to this may be an advanced pling routine, because of all different kinds of days (speed, ME...)

personally I dont record anything
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    why does it really matter what you did 6 months ago?....isnt the idea just to be always moving up in weight?

I understand an exception to this may be an advanced pling routine, because of all different kinds of days (speed, ME...)

You gave one example, which is the first thing that comes to mind for me. But there's also new routines, new exercises, varying levels of fitness/size during a cut/bulk, etc. Example could be, "did I keep more strength during this cut compared to last?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior

I think it matters tremendously. I agree with Anthony, in that if you don't record your workouts, you can't see how far you have come. For me, weight lifting isn't just about always moving up in weight, it's a competition with myself in that I always want to try and achieve a new PR. I do so many different exercies at the gym that i would be lost as to what my last PR is on so many exercises, and a journal is the way for me to record all this. It will eventually be the history book of my hobby/sport. Just my two cents...
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    You gave one example, which is the first thing that comes to mind for me. But there's also new routines, new exercises, varying levels of fitness/size during a cut/bulk, etc. Example could be, "did I keep more strength during this cut compared to last?"
    exactly well said!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

its nice to see the progression also, theres nothing wrong with congratulating yourself for some good work Some people might think they haven't achieved much, but if you can accurately go back to 6 months ago and say...well.. actually I have increased in this and this etc..

What its more useful for though is tracking progress for week to week. I train 4 times a week with weights currently, each one has about 6-10 excercises, 2-3 sets for some.. Can i remember each and ever rep, including forced reps? hell no..

Now I walk in, look at last week and know what I should be shooting for to progress.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough
    I train 4 times a week
    Don't believe the hype!!

I buy a "little fat notebook"...those little 3"x6" spiral notebooks, that have like 200 pages. they work great, and would hold a year's worth of resistance workouts.

just jot it in a notebook
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Yeah from the sounds of it I use the same thing as malkore. Every so often my friends give me sh!t for using it but hey I pump a lot more weight than them...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I bring my PDA and use my access spreadsheet to determine certain similarities between my mood, diet, rest, soreness, temperature, humidity, precipitation, and how many muffins were consumed in the last 24 hours, to the amount of weight I lift. If I adjust accordingly, I can calculate the poundage that should be used for the session ahead and try to hit that goal.

It seems that I can bench 400, squat 600 and dead 700 when I eat 10.3 apple cinnamon muffins during an ice storm. I am allergic to cinnamon so donít hold your breath.

Oh, I also make little notes if im slightly injured and what not.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I keep journals in a small notebook. I've been keeping them for most of the past 5 years. I keep an online log and for a while I stopped keeping a notebook - then the forum crashed and I lost about 6 months of info... Now, I make sure to record all my workouts by hand as well.

I record workouts after I get home. Mostly just sets, reps, weights, but occasionally I'll include injuries, illness, or special events that affect my training.

Banned
    It's all in Excel, right from day one.

3 ring binder that was given to me by my bank when I became a customer. That way, I can add in notebook paper as I need. I also add in if I was injured, cutting, etc. I started lifting one year ago today, and have the journal as of 10 months ago. I love thumbing through the pages to see how far I've come, and know that I've actually stuck with something for this long.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I have a collection of small notebooks dating back from 2003 with all my workouts. I like going in to the gym and knowing exactly what I did last week, and not having to guess at what I should be doing this week. I also put a lot of little notes and reminders like, when to move up in weights for an exercise. I would probably forget if I didn't have it logged. The long-term benefit is being able to look back a year, or two years and seeing how far I've come along.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I am a lazy SOB when it comes to updating mine. I really should start again. I am making some nice gains and even though I know it in my head, it might be nice to look back when I am a massive pile of muscle and see how I progressed.

/wishful thinking
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Mint
    I log everying in word perfect. I'm a data freek and it won't be long before I start compiling graphs and other crazy obsessive ****.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    I am a lazy SOB when it comes to updating mine. I really should start again. I am making some nice gains and even though I know it in my head, it might be nice to look back when I am a massive pile of muscle and see how I progressed.

/wishful thinking
    start updating !just always have it in your gym bag and carry around like you do your water bottle!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

The only one I have is right here. I can't evne maintain that and I am on the puter like 14 hrs a day lol.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

I have a very large 3 ring notebook that has 27, going on 28 years of workouts recorded. When I started I had this old black and white photo of Curtis Martin, who was a fantastic British olympic lifter from the late 60's and this photo is pasted on the front of the page ( it is very yellowed and fading by now) I also have the following inscription on the cover "Whatever can be measured can be improved" I have all my workouts in there, all of my contests, I also have several pages of business cards from gyms that I have visited and trained at. In the back, I have many pages of goals, training plans, notes from things I have read over the years, etc-I often read and re-read these notes and always get new ideas and inspirations.

Before I train, I sit down (often days in advance) and outline my next workot on a 5x8 index card-then when I go train, its a simple matter of filling in the blanks with sets and reps-later, I transfer these notes into my training journal and then begin outlining the next workout. Its kind of like playing pool or chess-the really wise players are always thinking and planning several moves ahead-same with workout plannning.

Good Thread

Legal pads. All I use for everything.

Legal pads.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.