Thread: Losing bf% while gaining muscle

Hybrid View

Banned

Losing bf% while gaining muscle

What's the best way to lose bf while gaining muscle at the same time?

I really don't want to go through a bulking stage, I just want to lower my bf a few percentages while maintaining or even gaining weight.

I figured increase food intake, increase cardio a lot, and lift more.

What do u guys think?

mmm... discipline
    Cut and then bulk.

And use the search function on this site.

Make sure you know what you're doing, and that you have the dedication to do it.

My $.02

Banned
    no, no bulking

mmm... discipline
    Alright, then find out how many calories you maintain at, eat that daily, and lift hard. I suggested cutting then bulking because many people I personally know find it easier. Do whatever works.

ILL Mitch, its very, very hard to gain muscle and lost fat at the same time.

Generally to lose fat you should get yourself in a calorie defect, which means taking less calories in than it takes to maintain your bodyweight.

To gain, you take in more.

I do believe there are some cirumstances when you can do both. If you haven't ever toucher a weight and are obese, switching to a clean diet and training hard you'll most likely drop fat and gain muscle, also perhaps after a long lay off it could happen.

But for the most part its very hard.

I agree with the guys here. Pick one goal, gain weight or lose weight and stick with it. If you fear bulking, lose weight until you are happy with your bodyfat and then aim to put your self ina very small calorie gain so that you gain weight slowly and therefore you will limit the fat you put on?

For that though you will have to monitor calories fairly closely.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 08-31-2005 at 12:57 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough
    If you fear bulking, lose weight until you are happy with your bodyfat and then aim to put your self ina very small calorie gain so that you gain weight slowly and therefore you will limit the fat you put on?
    Ill Mitch this is also what I would recommend. Just lose whatever fat needs to be lost (which might be none) and just add a little bit more calories to your diet. Make sure you also get enough protein. Once you are at a low bodyfat you can do shorter cuts and bulks and therefore make sure that the upper part of your bf% range never really gets that high. That is what I am going to be doing for... uh... hopefully the rest of my life.

I'm one of those guys who wants to have definition 100% of the time so the price you pay for that is that you won't gain muscle as quickly. Oh well... I'm in no hurry.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

mitch I thought you were really lean anyways? how low do you really want your bf%?....also ask crippy Im sure he can fill you in on anything you need to know, except you are stuck talking to crippy heh
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I'm pretty sure the reason he fears bulking is for weight classes in his fighting. My advice is just eat clean maintence calories or slightly above with some cardio and lift hard.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

riprogrammazione
    I'd have to agree with what they've said, although I have experienced a gain in LBM while losing fat on the UD2. It's a difficult program, though, and if you haven't got the dedication or will power, I wouldn't suggest it.

It is possible to gain weight and lower your bodyfat% at the same time. You just have to put on more muscle than fat relative to your current bf% (ie: if you are 15%bf and on your bulk only 10% of the weight you gain is fat, your bf will drop although you are still gaining fat). So theoretically, a very slow bulk may allow you to do that.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 08-31-2005 at 08:08 AM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Mitch, you do realize muscle has a weight as well right? Per volume it actually weighs even MORE than fat. And remember, fat is expendible.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

It's slow.... so painfully slow. I'm approaching six weeks of an average of 1750 calories a day and I've lost maybe a pound (which is probably a scale fluctuation). My strength is increasing across the board and I've lost nearly three inches off my trunk circumfrence (measuring around back and across belly button with the tape measure) and am starting to get visible definition in my arms and legs.

I've been told here body mass doesn't just appear or dissappear so the fat that represented those inches has to have been replaced by *something* if the weight hasn't noticibly changed.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I second the UD2 bulk as an option- although it's kind of a crappy way of life compared to regular bulking, and the carb depletion may seriously impact your fighting/training. I definitely lost fat/gained some muscle when I was using it to cut, so I'm sure it's beautiful for bulking.
    Another option is to up the calories slowly and do some HIIT. Hours of regular cardio would be counter productive to gaining muscle, but HIIT works pretty well to help you maintain bodyfat while bulking, if you bulk clean and pretty slowly. Kind of like what Jorge Sanchez said- although if I could gain weight and have only 10% of it be fat I'd be a damn happy dude.

Or you could just quit worrying about weight, get big and strong, and start fighting in a heavier weight class.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Wannabebig Member
    Regardless of a regular bulk then a longer cut or a slow bulk than a short cut, don't you end up at the same point in about the same amount of time?

well, if you bulk first, when you go to cut, you have that additional muscle mass that needs calories to maintain it, thus cutting after a bulk should be a little bit more efficient.
    Now, whether it's efficient enough to really matter in the grand scheme of things...that I do not know.

The zig-zag method ala Fred Hatfield.

Including early morning empty stomach GPP did wonders for me, I found it really hard to put on fat while I was bulking - outside of anabolic steroids and newbie gains there's almost no way to lose fat while gaining muscle.

Newbie gains are beginning to drive me mad. Oh, there's no doubt it's cool as hell to see my shirts getting tighter through the upper body and to lift heavier and heavier weights.. that's what it's all about... but I'm at 1750 daily average calories and after nearly six weeks *still* weigh 180 (fluctuating up or down a pound pretty much constantly).

And as I've been getting stronger I've been getting hungry... more hungry than I've been in my life. I throw in a day a week where I get some junk food (still try not to go above 2k cal, which should still be a deficit) for sanities sake... and it does nothing. I ate a whole wendy's classic triple (without cheese) for the first time the other week... and could have had a second...

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Newbie gains are beginning to drive me mad. Oh, there's no doubt it's cool as hell to see my shirts getting tighter through the upper body and to lift heavier and heavier weights.. that's what it's all about... but I'm at 1750 daily average calories and after nearly six weeks *still* weigh 180 (fluctuating up or down a pound pretty much constantly).

And as I've been getting stronger I've been getting hungry... more hungry than I've been in my life. I throw in a day a week where I get some junk food (still try not to go above 2k cal, which should still be a deficit) for sanities sake... and it does nothing. I ate a whole wendy's classic triple (without cheese) for the first time the other week... and could have had a second...
    Hell dude, eat on up.
    When I started lifting I probably doubled my food intake at the very least, and I still lost 45 pounds. Pretty soon you should reward yourself with a week off for sure, if nothing else.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

My diet still sucks. I don't even know what I'd eat to pass 2000 on a daily basis. That's why I thought maintaining 1700 to 1800 would be easy. It's not... without hitting high carb sources like pasta or 'topping off' my daily calories with peanuts. I typically eat things from "What a Bodybuilder Eats" but have no real sense of how to put them together for a balanced diet.

Especially since I like to keep my sodium between 1k and 2.5k and chloresterol below 300 mg.