The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

competition ends sept 30, urgent advice needed :D

hehe. my gym is holding bench press competition next month for the highest 1RM and i plan on giving it a shot... i have up to 30 sept to get the highest 1RM.... but i have no idea how to prepare etc and what my nutrition should be like (i'm already eating clean)?

i'm 5'4, 122lb, ~20%BF. my bench 1RM max is ~104.5lb.

good news is i've been on a slow bulk for 2 months, have been gaining strength, and just started a new cycle this week (deloading last week).

not-so-good news is i've just come down with a phlegmy cough, i haven't been gaining weight (not sure if this matters) and i've been stuck at around this benching weight for 1.5 months.

i'm taking in 2800 cals on lifting days and 2500 cals on non-lifting days. routine i'm doing is maki's Improving the Big Three. you can check out what i've been doing at my journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthre...80#post1172680

my strategy is to peak at the end of the month.. in the meantime watch the 1RM board. i'd appreciate any advice from experienced competitors on how to prepare for this

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

not really experienced, but i figured i'd try and help you out. although training regularly will also increase ur 1rm, u'll see the most results doing frequent 1rms. start training in the 1-5 rep range which isn't exactly what works for most people in regards to hypertrophy, but from what i understand, that is where u will make the most strength gains. try and get over your cough and then start hammerin away and keep bulking! hope that helps

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

5'4, 122lb, ~20%BF. my bench 1RM max is ~104.5lb and you just started a new cycle? Are you talking about gear? If so, what are you using. I have to say that you sound like you're not quite in shape to be using gear. Maybe I am missreading something here.

That being said, I would eat everything I see and bench heavy for the next three or so weeks. I would then take about a week or so off and warm up before the comp at some lower weights. This should put you well recovered and rested for the one rep max.

I believe she means cycle as in calorie cycle (deloading, loadin all that fun stuff).....

bohizzle has it down, also if there are no weight classes, then eat tons, it can only help
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Bench heavy and work your triceps heavy. Work your lats and keep your shoulders healthy. Eat plenty.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Christ! I thought I was talking to a guy. You're in great shape, nevermind. I'm lame.

Banned
    Is this a she?

hahahaha!! yes this is a she! good guessing sidior! actually cycle meant my lifting cycle.. i'm doing maki's Improving the Big Three and completed a cycle with deloading last week. this week i began a new cycle.

thanks for all the suggestions guys! bench heavy, work triceps and lats meaning in the 1-5 rep range? should i be looking at a pre-competition 5x5 routine or something like that?

on the actual day itself, how do i go about warming up without getting myself exhausted?

For bench comps, I generally warm up the same way I always do for my heavy bench days. Light shoulder work (just to get loose) then 5-10x45 5x95 1x135 1x165 1x185 and I'm ready to go. For you, I would say warm up with 3 sets of 3x45 and then maybe 1 or 2 singles at 75-80. You want to be done warming up by about 4-5 minutes before you have to lift. How many attempts do you get? 3?

Benching heavy means in the 1-3 rep range. Tris and lats in the 6-10 range.

Increasing bench has been the hardest thing for me ever. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know

hmmm ok. i get as many attempts as i want. the competition is throughout september and the trainer said anytime i feel like attempting a 1RM to get him know.. it's just a silly dinky gym competition :P so i can try anyday, anytime, any amount of times.

would you suggest i do an attempt on the last day of the month? or try a week before?

Both. Do one about a 5 days before and then rest up and do one on the last day.

For you, I would say warm up with 3 sets of 3x45
    err you mean 3x45 and not 9x45 right? :P

I would also say unless you have done a 1rm recently, do one next time your at the gym...then like what the other people said, wait till the last week or so and try again
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

thanks for all the advice guys!! i really appreciate it!

guess what........... i went to the gym today and there's no more BP competition for the women#(@)*% in place is most # of situps in 1 min, most # of pushups and leg press. reason they took it off is a lot of the women who go to the gym are 'older' and don't go there to press. i feel kinda offended... situps.. pushups *mutter mutteR*

Complain. Tell them you feel disenfranchised because you're a woman. Tell them if other women are too afraid to compete against you, that's their problem. Do it anyway.

lol! i'd be the only one then.... no point :P